Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have to believe this is a glitch, not a sign of (imminent) things to come. Earning only 25% on a T fare is a pretty radical change. I wasn't here the previous time the reduced MQMs but wasn't that only 50%?

Not that I don't think they would reduce earned MQMs, but why do that and introduce MQDs at the same time? Reducing earnings on LUTE to 25% -- and you have to figure that HQK would be 50/75% to stay in line -- would "thin the herd" of medallions far more than MQDs. Of course it is also likely to "thin the herd" of passengers which is not such a good thing.

I don't doubt that reduced MQM earning is coming -- but I don't think they do that until after they see the effect of MQDs.

But then again, I may just be whistling past the graveyard
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
It's times like these whin I wish Kevin Pinto was still around.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by TTT
It's times like these whin I wish Kevin Pinto was still around.
You guys? Think how I feel!!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:02 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
I am sure I would feel worse in your shoes.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TTT
Me too, most women's shoes sure look uncomfortable.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
This was certainly NOT expected on this ticket!

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:04 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inno.SAN-ICN
Yes, exactly 25% for SAN-DTW-ICN flights booked by corporate agent in T for exactly the same (normal ~$1100) price as on DL.com.

The same agent and similar booking in December was fine, no problem with miles.

Have you been upgraded on DTW-ORD segment? My guess is that after change of upgrade code to R, which is non-rev, their soft has no idea how to deal with this.

I wrote a request and got a response: "miles are posted" (no explanation at all, why 25%).
Second response: "an unpublished fare booked through agent doesn't give miles" (nothing about why T is unpublished...).

Will try to call tonight to DM desk...
Out of curiosity what agency books your corp travel? Is it one of the big names (Amex, CWT etc), the corp booking arm of an OTA or someone else?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs down Update #4

Hi All,

As it's been 48+ hours, I called the 404# in ATL via Skype.

After putting in my Skymiles #, I got the DM Desk, explained the issue (again), and the agent put me on hold to speak with the SM desk. She comes back on, says you paid $751 for the fare and it was a special fare that only earns 25%. WTH (no, I did not say that the agent)...this was booked via the DM Desk, not a 3rd party.

I pressed further asking if there's a way to escalate since this ticket was purchased by me via the DM desk not a 3rd party.

The agent comes back on and says a Delta Meeting Network code (I'd never heard the term until now) was applied to discount the fare. I asked to speak to a supervisor since this seems a bit crazy. The fare quoted by the DM desk was the same as what I was looking at in GBP on dl.com when I booked. He said the code was the same as that used on my trip to IAD in January, which was booked via Carson Wagonlit.

Given that I had absolutely NO knowledge this code existed until today's phone call, I told the agent it did not come from me. The only additional code or information I provided to the DM Desk agent that night was for my $200 Choice Benefit voucher.

So...the phone agents said there's absolutely nothing the call center can do. The agent invited me to write a letter. I feel burned, to say the least, at the moment.

I try to the right thing by booking directly via DL and still get hosed.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Paging DL rep to chime in here!

That meeting code you referenced is for a group/event fare that is normally associated with an event where there is a negotiated discount to attendees for flying on DL.

We were told here on this board by DL reps, and it even states on the DL website that if you buy through DL then it is a published fare and you earn full credit.
Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules.
Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares”) now earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html

You purchased through DL, you are owed full credit.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Paging DL rep to chime in here!

We were told, and it even states on the DL website
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html

You purchased through DL, you are owed full credit.
I know and I'm not done yet. I said the same thing to the phone agents and they said the call center could do nothing.

I'm also in touch with one of the DL reps.

It just burns me that some sort of discount code I've never heard of could be applied to a booking I made myself via the DM desk.

I expect wonky things to happen when WORK books via a TA (Carson Wagonlit), especially since they seek out the absolute bargain basement fare...but not when I book myself with the DM desk.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hi All,

As it's been 48+ hours, I called the 404# in ATL via Skype.

After putting in my Skymiles #, I got the DM Desk, explained the issue (again), and the agent put me on hold to speak with the SM desk. She comes back on, says you paid $751 for the fare and it was a special fare that only earns 25%. WTH (no, I did not say that the agent)...this was booked via the DM Desk, not a 3rd party.

I pressed further asking if there's a way to escalate since this ticket was purchased by me via the DM desk not a 3rd party.

The agent comes back on and says a Delta Meeting Network code (I'd never heard the term until now) was applied to discount the fare. I asked to speak to a supervisor since this seems a bit crazy. The fare quoted by the DM desk was the same as what I was looking at in GBP on dl.com when I booked. He said the code was the same as that used on my trip to IAD in January, which was booked via Carson Wagonlit.

Given that I had absolutely NO knowledge this code existed until today's phone call, I told the agent it did not come from me. The only additional code or information I provided to the DM Desk agent that night was for my $200 Choice Benefit voucher.

So...the phone agents said there's absolutely nothing the call center can do. The agent invited me to write a letter. I feel burned, to say the least, at the moment.

I try to the right thing by booking directly via DL and still get hosed.

Is the Delta Meeting Network like the Psychic Friends Network?

All joking aside, this is a major problem. DL has repeatedly stated that purchasing directly from them will earn full MQM. There has never been any communication from DL that they will directly sell unpublished fares of the type that only earn 25%. Now, nobody can be certain what MQMs they will get even when booking via DL.

Did you talk to an actual supervisor on the phone? If so write a paper letter to DL or one of these people (not sure how current the link is): http://onyoursi.de/wiki/airline/delta-air-lines/. Don't let this rest until you get a real reply from someone with power.

Also try PMing one of the DL reps who occasionally shows up on this forum? I think one of them was supposed to be covering SM issues.

Either way this must be heavily publicized on FT so more people don't get burned. Everyone will have to check their fare basis code very carefully and call in to confirm even if the eventual purchase is online.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Is the Delta Meeting Network like the Psychic Friends Network?

All joking aside, this is a major problem. DL has repeatedly stated that purchasing directly from them will earn full MQM. There has never been any communication from DL that they will directly sell unpublished fares of the type that only earn 25%.

Did you talk to an actual supervisor on the phone? If so write a paper letter to DL or one of these people (not sure how current the link is): http://onyoursi.de/wiki/airline/delta-air-lines/. Don't let this rest until you get a real reply from someone with power.

Also try PMing one of the DL reps who occasionally shows up on this forum? I think one of them was supposed to be covering SM issues.

Either way this must be heavily publicized on FT so more people don't get burned. Everyone will have to check their fare basis code very carefully and call in to confirm even if the eventual purchase is online.

As I said in my last post, I am in touch with on of the reps. I'll wait to send in a letter until they see what they can/cannot do.

I feel like I've been cheated by a system I was not trying to game...make phone call, give dates/airports/times...hand over credit card and voucher number...get e-ticket....take flights...

I've done this more times than I can count with zero issue...I am not enjoying this headache.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
This is terrible!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As I said in my last post, I am in touch with on of the reps. I'll wait to send in a letter until they see what they can/cannot do.

I feel like I've been cheated by a system I was not trying to game...make phone call, give dates/airports/times...hand over credit card and voucher number...get e-ticket....take flights...

I've done this more times than I can count with zero issue...I am not enjoying this headache.
Have you tweeted them?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Have you tweeted them?
Not yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.