Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
So have all of the issues been ex-LHR? I'm flying to LHR in about a week, but from the US side of the pond. Has anyone had this problem leaving from this side?

Originally Posted by HongKonger
You can always spot an economist when they use ex ante and ex post.
That, and the username including the word "economist" made it a dead giveaway.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Howste
So have all of the issues been ex-LHR? I'm flying to LHR in about a week, but from the US side of the pond. Has anyone had this problem leaving from this side?

As far as I know, the cases were ex-LHR. There was one FTer who may have had a similar issue from somewhere else...I'd have to dig and look.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
As far as I know, the cases were ex-LHR. There was one FTer who may have had a similar issue from somewhere else...I'd have to dig and look.
inno.SAN-ICN had an issue with SAN-DTW-ICN in December, but this is the only non-LHR issue I've seen. It's on page 3 of this thread.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Thanks. I'll wait and see with fingers crossed.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll wait and see with fingers crossed.
This problem had not occurred subsequently on ex-LHR flights...thankfully!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I plead guilty.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Mine was ex-MAN. (MAN-US-LHR, so still had LHR as a component)
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I plead guilty.
Despite not being an economist, I once called home an institution that has held on to these and other terms and peculiarities of Latin far longer than most others.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you are misunderstanding. It's not simply ex-LHR flights, it's flights that were booked with an LHR origin. Since your flight booking originates from the US, it should not be an issue.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
:glad to hear the OP got her miles. Never should have happened or never should have taken so long. Anyway, maybe this is DL's way intentionally screwing over the folks who get the pass on the MQD requirment?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
:glad to hear the OP got her miles. Never should have happened or never should have taken so long. Anyway, maybe this is DL's way intentionally screwing over the folks who get the pass on the MQD requirment?
DL gave me the MQM 8 days after the trip completed...I did not have the chance to send feedback about the experience until earlier this month.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
inno.SAN-ICN had an issue with SAN-DTW-ICN in December, but this is the only non-LHR issue I've seen. It's on page 3 of this thread.
To be clear, the problem with my trip (SAN-DTW-ICN) was different, I bought the tickets through our corporate TA.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All,

I'd submitted feedback via dl.com in late February regarding my experience with this issue. There were some shining moments and definitely some less than stellar ones in obtaining a final resolution for myself and others.

The timeline I submitted to Delta is below. It is far longer than most submissions I'd make, but I wanted to ensure they understood the course of events.

I initally submitted this information on Feb. 27, 2013 and received no feedback via KLM customer service, who handles comments/complaints in the UK (reference XXXXXXX).

I spent many hours on the phone (international, calling the US from the UK) in order to rectify this issue. I was quite surprised when a supervisor rudely told me I could write a letter, even though this was an IT issue. The timeline below details this experience. Ms. Patrina Graham was fantastic in helping with this issue.

1 Feb 2013: Booked LHR-DTW-ORD-DTW-ORD-LHR via the Diamond Medallion desk. I utilized my $200 Choice Benefit eCert with the booking.

7 Feb 2013: Flew LHR-DTW-ORD 9 Feb 2013: Realized 1,001 MQM/RDM posted to my account for LHR-DTW-ORD. As I was at CDG, I called the DM Desk and the agent told me I needed to call the 404 Customer Service number in Atlanta. When I explained I was in Paris, she stated she would submit for the mileage credit.

10 Feb 2013: Flew ORD-DTW-LHR, arriving at LHR on 11 Feb 2013. 11 Feb 2013: Called the DM Desk to follow up from Saturday’s phone call. The DM agent contacted the SM help desk and asked that I give it 48 hours for it to be corrected. I also posted a thread on flyertalk regarding this issue and one of the Delta reps contacted me via private message.

12 Feb 2013: 10-11 Feb ORD-DTW-LHR posted. As with the outbound, it was for 1,001 miles.

13 Feb 2013:
Phone call #1: I called the 404 Customer Service number in Atlanta. After putting in my Skymiles #, I got the DM Desk, explained the issue, and the agent put me on hold to speak with the SM help desk. She comes back on, says you paid $751 for the fare and it was a special fare that only earns 25%. I reiterated this was booked via the DM Desk, not a 3rd party.

I pressed further asking if there's a way to escalate since this ticket was purchased by me via the DM desk not a 3rd party. The agent comes back on and says a Delta Meeting Network code (I'd never heard the term until now) was applied to discount the fare.

I asked to speak to a supervisor since this seemed a bit unusal. At booking, the fare quoted by the DM desk was the same as what I was looking at in GBP on delta.com when I booked. He said the code was the same as that used on my trip to IAD in January, which was booked by my work via Carlson Wagonlit Travel. Given that I had absolutely NO knowledge this code existed until today's phone call, I told the agent it did not come from me and asked how it could have happend. The only additional code or information I provided to the DM Desk agent that night was for my $200 Choice Benefit voucher. The supervisor was very rude and seemed reluctant to look into the issue any further. The phone agents said there's absolutely nothing the call center can do. The agent invited me to write a letter as this was the only way to find a possible resolution.

Phone call #2: At the suggestion of someone on flyertalk, I called the 404# again, but did not put my Skymiles number into the system. After nearly 20 minutes on hold, Patrina Graham at the resolution desk answered my call. I spent over 90 minutes on the phone with Patrina; she was determined to get to the bottom of the issue. I detailed the booking and previous phone calls/conversations that related to this issue.

Ultimately, she found that, due to soem glitch in the system, when the DM Desk did the booking, the fare basis code, JUW37 (unpublished, 25% earning), which is usually used for 3rd party bookings, ended up on my ticket. However, when looking further into the ticket, they could see that it was, in fact, booked by DL and the DM Desk not a 3rd party. Being ex-LHR also may have factored in somehow, although I've never had an issue in 3.5 +years with ex-LHR tickets booked via the DM Desk...there's a first time for everything.

She said to give it 14 business days for resolution. I really have to applaud her professionalism and interest in figuring out what was going on in this scenario. She really was meticulous and interested in figuring out what
happened.

19 Feb 2013: I checked the status with the DM Desk when making a call regarding another booking – still pending.

20 Feb 2013: Early in the day, I called regarding another booking and my case was still pending. I did send a private message to the Delta representatives on flyertalk regarding my issue and that of JWGJWG, who booked via delta.com for LHR-JFK-LHR and ran into the same
issue with the 25% earning.

In the evening (UK time), I called the 404# again and ended up with sales in Tampa. The polite agent forwarded me to the DM Desk. Connie K. was very helpful. She noted my account had been updated. Given the issues JWGJWG had with her booking, I asked Connie to look at her booking as it appeared to have the same issue as my own, with the common factors being booked directly with Delta and travel originating out of LHR. After a few minutes on hold, Connie and the SM help desk recognized the issue and said she'd be credited proper MQM/RDM within 24 hours; it was fixed in less than two hours.

Thankfully, this issue was resolved for both of us.
As I live in the UK, this went to KLM customer service, who never responded to my submission. As I was in transit most of the month of March, I finally managed to submit again to DL Customer Care in the US. (Reference this thread for how I did so - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-response.html)

The response I received from DL Customer Care is below. As I had submitted several feedback messages (good/bad of March travels and this incident), the response includes feedback on all three.

Dear rwoman,

RE: Case Number XXXXXX

Thank you for your e-mail messages of April 4. On behalf of Delta Air Lines, I sincerely apologize for the mileage discrepancy and the lack of service from our onboard purser.

First, thank you for your complimentary remarks regarding the staff onboard Flights XXX and XXX. Delta places a high priority on customer satisfaction, and we are fortunate to have personnel who strive to be the very best in every area of responsibility. The fine work which earned your positive comments reaffirms our belief that a company is only as good as its people. One of the best ways we have to let our people know their efforts have been recognized is to share commendations such as yours and I will pass them along.

Additionally, I am truly sorry you did not receive the service you expected and should have received from the purser onboard Flight XXX. I regret that she wasn't visible in the cabin and did not engage with our passengers. Feedback like yours will help us to improve our in-flight processes and customer experience. I will be sharing your comments both positive and negative with our In-flight leadership team for internal follow up.

Also, I am truly sorry for the mileage discrepancy you described and the resulting inconvenience you were caused in having your February trips posted. Allow me to provide some insight on a recent program change. In an effort to align with the mileage policies of our transatlantic joint venture partners, unpublished specialty fares – purchased on or after September 1, 2012 will have mileage credit restrictions. Typically, these fares are sold by a third party or travel agent and examples include:

- Group fares
- Student fares
- Consolidator fares
- Fares included as part of a cruise package
- Discounted tour packages

Please know most tickets purchased through Delta channels are considered to be published fares and are eligible to receive full mileage accrual. However, some unpublished specialty fares will continue to earn full mileage credit, including specialty fares purchased in the Asia Pacific region, tickets purchased through Delta Vacations, Government and Military fares, Corporate fares, and Sport and University fares.

From your discription it seems that the Choice Benefit Certificate put one of these indicators on your ticket and that is why you did not receive the full credit. I am glad to her that Connie and Patrina were able to assist you with the discrepancy.

Also, we appreciate the time you took to share your comments regarding the unsatisfactory customer service you encountered when trying to fix the discrepancy. After reading your remarks, I certainly understand why you wanted to bring this matter to our attention. We expect our team members to be helpful and professional at all times. Please know I will be sharing your comments with our Reservations leadership team for internal follow up.

As a gesture of my concern for the poor handling of the mileage discrepancy, I have added 5500 bonus SkyMiles to your account. The miles can be viewed within 5 days.

Again, we apologize for the poor handling from our crew member and the mileage posting. Please know that your feedback, business and loyalty as a Diamond Medallion is appreciated. We look forward to serving your next travel need.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
Coordinator, Corporate Customer Care
Delta Air Lines
I in no way need the SkyMiles, but I thought the 5,500 was a bit of a joke, especially considering the compensation some have received.

I still think it was a bit of a canned response and have not decided if I should reply to this email or not. My first thought was, "REALLY?!"

Also, I think it is important to note that one of the DL reps here on FT has been in touch with me to look into exactly what happened.
All,

Hello again.

In response to the above, I submitted a written letter to Delta and mailed it to Atlanta a week ago while I was in NYC. I took care to detail my concerns about the unprofessional (misspellings, grammar) nature of what was essentially a form letter.

I further commented on my view that 5,500 miles for what proved to be hours on the phone and quite a bit of time an effort seemed like a waste and un-necessary as I have nearly 400k miles in my account.

Today, I received an email response from the same Customer Care Coordinator apologizing for what I had deemed an largely unprofessionally written form letter via email in early April.

While I did not request any compensation whatsoever, DL did provide a respectable eCert.

Of interest, they did include a copy of my entire submission that I'd sent in, including the envelope, with the response. It was received Apr. 29, 2013 and I received the email today (late morning in ATL). Sometimes, I guess they take things more seriously than we think.

Sadly, I'm in touch with another ex-LHR flyer who is having the same issue. Hopefully, I can help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.