Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket booked via DM Desk not earning full MQM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by rylan
Don't let this one drop. Respond back and tell them you purchased through DL.com and show your receipt with place of purchase as mtkeller said, and also link to and highlight the part from the website that says you will receive full mileage if booking through delta.
I agree, DO NOT let it go otherwise they'll do it to everybody. But I do t suggest continuing by email as they are slow and inept. You need to follow the same steps rwoman took to resolve it.

Add this to the list of "glitches" DL has zero intention of fixing.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nice how this is a confirmed issue, we have 11 pages if discussion, reports and information, yet no response from any DL reps here even acknowledging that its being looked at.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rylan
Nice how this is a confirmed issue, we have 11 pages if discussion, reports and information, yet no response from any DL reps here even acknowledging that its being looked at.
I've communicated via PM, not on the public forum.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I agree, DO NOT let it go otherwise they'll do it to everybody. But I do t suggest continuing by email as they are slow and inept. You need to follow the same steps rwoman took to resolve it.

I'm definitely not apt to let it go...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by rwoman

I'm definitely not apt to let it go...
Yeah was directed at the new guy in the thread who showed up with the same issue.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah was directed at the new guy in the thread who showed up with the same issue.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by kevfletcher
I've had the same experience of getting 25% miles on my MAN-ATL flight. It was booked through DL.com from the UK. I sent in a mileage credit request and received the following response.

Also for your flight from Manchester to Atlanta on 11 February, DL65
mileage you received were correct. Our records indicate that the fare
you purchased was a promotional negotiated fare (United Kingdom North
Atlantic seat promotion). As you are aware, effective September 1st,
select special fares -- which are often referred to as “unpublished
fares” -- will no longer earn full mileage credit. Typically, these
fares are sold by a third party or travel agent or via our website and
examples include:

• Group fares
• Student fares
• Consolidator fares (promotional fares)
• Flights included as part of a tour or cruise package
• Hotwire and Priceline.com tickets

The class of service on these flights was T. T class unpublished fares
earns 25% base miles instead of 100%. We apologize for the confusion.

It's so thoughtful of them to apologize for being confused!

My thought is it may have something to do with booking fares from the UK.
They can't have it both ways, with DL.com explicitly stating that "Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules" and responses like this.

Everything but my AF flights have now posted and everything, as expected, earned 25%. I'll contact the DL line in NZ when I get home but I'm not hopeful (haven't had the best action from that particular desk in the past) so I may indeed be calling on your expertise, rwoman.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kevfletcher
I've had the same experience of getting 25% miles on my MAN-ATL flight. It was booked through DL.com from the UK. I sent in a mileage credit request and received the following response.

Also for your flight from Manchester to Atlanta on 11 February, DL65
mileage you received were correct. Our records indicate that the fare
you purchased was a promotional negotiated fare (United Kingdom North
Atlantic seat promotion). As you are aware, effective September 1st,
select special fares -- which are often referred to as “unpublished
fares”
-- will no longer earn full mileage credit. Typically, these
fares are sold by a third party or travel agent or via our website and
examples include:

• Group fares
• Student fares
• Consolidator fares (promotional fares)
• Flights included as part of a tour or cruise package
• Hotwire and Priceline.com tickets

The class of service on these flights was T. T class unpublished fares
earns 25% base miles instead of 100%. We apologize for the confusion.

It's so thoughtful of them to apologize for being confused!

My thought is it may have something to do with booking fares from the UK.
Does this scare anyone else with how they explained this??? They specifically say that these special "unpublished fares" can be sold via the DL website, making it virtually impossible to know if you are getting full credit or not. It also gives DL the ability to claim any fare could get reduced mileage credit, no matter where it is purchased...

The customer service agent response here is incorrect though, as the Delta website clearly states that tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered published fares. The only thing I could think of them referring to on fares purchased through DL.com might be when some group code is used? The DL.com language says:
Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules.

Effective September 1, 2012, a small number of special fares (often referred to as “unpublished fares”) will earn miles at a reduced rate. Unpublished fares are normally purchased through a specialized agent, third party or to a group.
Nice how the email response was more or less the same as the DL website, but left out the first sentence and sneakily added DL.com to the examples of unpublished fares.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
I've communicated via PM, not on the public forum.
I certainly understand that and am glad you've had someone helping... but I do think it would be greatly appreciated by all if a DL Rep can at least acknowledge the problem and offer to help take care of it for people here.

Being cynical, but perhaps DL is 'making' a lot off of only giving 25% credit instead of the full amount plus bonuses, so they don't want to publicly open themselves to being on the hook for all of those miles and mqm.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roknroll
Does this scare anyone else with how they explained this??? They specifically say that these special "unpublished fares" can be sold via the DL website, making it virtually impossible to know if you are getting full credit or not. It also gives DL the ability to claim any fare could get reduced mileage credit, no matter where it is purchased...
Bingo
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LabCat
They can't have it both ways, with DL.com explicitly stating that "Tickets purchased directly through Delta are considered “published fares” and receive full mileage credit based on the SkyMiles program rules" and responses like this.

Everything but my AF flights have now posted and everything, as expected, earned 25%. I'll contact the DL line in NZ when I get home but I'm not hopeful (haven't had the best action from that particular desk in the past) so I may indeed be calling on your expertise, rwoman.
Happy to help. Just send a PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta GM
You can be sure I won't let it drop. Waiting on our return flight to MAN right now so I'll deal with it when we get back to the UK.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
One more glitch as an explanation from Medallion desk

I had an interesting conversation with SM CS when I called to adjust miles posted for my return flights.
I called 3 times and 2 times the agents told me that I've got 25% because the system did not recognized properly R class as a complimentary upgrade, not the booking with miles (pay with miles or award ticket).
Interestingly, they gave this explanation just in a second after looking on my account. This was actually my first idea why I got 25% credit.

It sounded like the CSRs were very familiar with this problem and were ready to put a request to fix it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inno.SAN-ICN
I had an interesting conversation with SM CS when I called to adjust miles posted for my return flights.
I called 3 times and 2 times the agents told me that I've got 25% because the system did not recognized properly R class as a complimentary upgrade, not the booking with miles (pay with miles or award ticket).
Interestingly, they gave this explanation just in a second after looking on my account. This was actually my first idea why I got 25% credit.

It sounded like the CSRs were very familiar with this problem and were ready to put a request to fix it.
I'm curious to see what happens with my LHR-BOS-ATL-JFK-LHR trip this weekend.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:59 am

Update: just checked my skymiles account and the return leg of my Feb. LHR-JFK flight processed at 25%, even after they made me pay an extra $16 (paltry yes, but not the point) to ensure the return trip would earn full miles...and as it turns out it did not. I've been on hold for 30 min (wish I was a PM still ) waiting for what will inevitably be the first hour of at least six more to come where a representative fails to fix the problem and then points to the "unpublished fare rules" as the Bible when it comes to explaining how published fare rules are calculated.

I'll give them six hours of calls to fix this. If they can't or won't, it's back to registered letters and formal complaints.

I also emailed the very kind, Robin for tips on how to fix this. Bet of luck to the others facing this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.