Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think the midwest segment flyers that spend $1K a week on 1000 MQM will be the one's that will benefit under this program. I think if someone can show a $25,000 spend on only 25,000 mqms, there will be leeway and a judgement call that can be made to put them into a higher-level.

Hopefully so....they are the folks keeping DL going....not the jacka$$ flying RT 12 times to Istanbul on a $520 fare.
I think you are probably correct. I class Istanbul on those fares as an MR - the goal should be to reduce MRs -or one of the goals anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
still wondering about spending on ST partner airlines... how can Delta track those? or if spending on ST partners don't count, then how could ST program allow this (this is like DL forcing Skymiles members to fly only DL - is this not against some sort of ST policies possible?...)?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
And Delta will say "Don't let the door hit you on the way out". .
if thats how it plays out then no sweat of my back or DL's.

Now, as a leisure flier, the one thing that would absolutely get me to stay and spend the extra amount on my amex so that I hit 25K year would be if they lowered the TPAC M fares to something worthwhile . The devaluation of the M class MQM boost takes away a lot of the attraction for spending the money to upgrade on the M fare.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
Guess I need to put my UK address on my account...I do live here.
I actually have a UK address- I own the house (OK wife and me jointly do) and my daughter's DL account address is the same.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Huh? The kid blogger would in this case have Gold based on MQM, but Silver based on spend (It's $5K for Gold). MQM AND MQD would mean the blogger would only qualify for Silver, just like you...
My numbers were off but the point stands. Make that a $500/transcon. Then the kid gets Gold. Does it change the underlying argument about who is more valuable to the airline? Or with the original numbers, even if the kid gets Silver and I am Silver, are we both equally valuable to the airline? Clearly the kid should be less important given the huge differences in spend and profit for the airline...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Now that the "announced" changes have returned to rumor status, will this thread be reopened?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nge-rumor.html
It may be best to leave it locked.

It's sad how little institutional memory exists on FT. LedgeT has provided a lot of accurate information over the years. His posts were corroborated with the descriptions in job postings. But that's all white-washed away.

So LedgeT projects a future where earnings and redemptions are based on revenue. Delta accidentally leaks a near future in 2013 where medallion levels are tied to revenue. The near future includes some tweaking of how MQMs and RDMs are earned based on the fares and revenue, rewarding full F/J and penalizing M.

And the mob is delighted because don't you know it means that LedgeT is still wrong and the changes won't hurt them. Okay, except for the mob that wants the herd thinned which of course means thinning the herd down to themselves. That mob wants more.

It is sad that FT has devolved to the point where some members take huge delight in proclaiming other members to be wrong or even liars. I thought it had gotten bad when some members plainly think they are better than everybody else because they (or more typically their employer) pay for a seat in the front of an aircraft.

Makes me wish there were a Dilbert strip about frequent fliers. There's lots of material.

David
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I think you are probably correct. I class Istanbul on those fares as an MR - the goal should be to reduce MRs -or one of the goals anyway.
There's an easy way to reduce MRs: don't publish the fares.

No one can buy a ticket for a fare DL doesn't publish. If DL publishes a fare, it should be happy to have someone on board who purchased it. Basic tenet of free markets: any transaction means a market-clearing price has been reached, and that the transaction is mutually beneficial.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It may be best to leave it locked.

It's sad how little institutional memory exists on FT. LedgeT has provided a lot of accurate information over the years. His posts were corroborated with the descriptions in job postings. But that's all white-washed away.

So LedgeT projects a future where earnings and redemptions are based on revenue. Delta accidentally leaks a near future in 2013 where medallion levels are tied to revenue. The near future includes some tweaking of how MQMs and RDMs are earned based on the fares and revenue, rewarding full F/J and penalizing M.

And the mob is delighted because don't you know it means that LedgeT is still wrong and the changes won't hurt them. Okay, except for the mob that wants the herd thinned which of course means thinning the herd down to themselves. That mob wants more.

It is sad that FT has devolved to the point where some members take huge delight in proclaiming other members to be wrong or even liars. I thought it had gotten bad when some members plainly think they are better than everybody else because they (or more typically their employer) pay for a seat in the front of an aircraft.

Makes me wish there were a Dilbert strip about frequent fliers. There's lots of material.

David
^
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
On one hand it makes sense - thin out the elite ranks by keeping hub-captive primarily business road warriors paying $500 for a 2.5 hr flight to XNA ...

On the other hand, it really discourages the leisure passenger from ever even attempting status. From NYC, 1 RT to HKG and 2 transcons is enough to hit 25K MQM, but if you're flying deeply discounted flights, you'll need 2 additional transcons to hit the same medallion tier. (random example assuming HKG is $1K and LAX-JFK are $375 apiece)

It would be a sad state if all the US legacies eventually move into this model.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
if thats how it plays out then no sweat of my back or DL's.

Now, as a leisure flier, the one thing that would absolutely get me to stay and spend the extra amount on my amex so that I hit 25K year would be if they lowered the TPAC M fares to something worthwhile . The devaluation of the M class MQM boost takes away a lot of the attraction for spending the money to upgrade on the M fare.
Yes, there goes an incentive to buy an M fare.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:49 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by 787fan

It would be a sad state if all the US legacies eventually move into this model.
Sad or not, it makes the most sense.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PNET
My numbers were off but the point stands. Make that a $500/transcon. Then the kid gets Gold. Does it change the underlying argument about who is more valuable to the airline? Or with the original numbers, even if the kid gets Silver and I am Silver, are we both equally valuable to the airline? Clearly the kid should be less important given the huge differences in spend and profit for the airline...
You (and I think many here) misunderstand the point of FF programs. FF programs are not for an airline's best customers. An airline's best customers buy paid F/J and get most of the benefits that an airline FFP offers: a seat up front, free checked bags, priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, etc. No one's arguing these aren't extremely profitable customers for an airline. But they don't need an FFP to attract their business, and they don't fill planes.

FF programs are meant to attract an airline's second best customers. People who fly a lot, who buy coach fares, and who airlines want to turn into a steady, consistent revenue stream.
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Yes, there goes an incentive to buy an M fare.
this will definitely thin out the DM ranks, me included. I guess I should change my personal info to read, future PM...
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I like what I see, especially the $25k spend to wive the MQD requirement. I plan on doing that every year anyways for the 10k+ MQM. I alkso like the 100% for first. There are some excellent first-class MRs out there (for now anyway).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That's why I've always thought the ideal system (at least for the airline) would be one that factors in both distance flown and $$$ spent. There are numerous factors contributing (landing fees, labor rates, aircraft type, number of seats, etc.), but ultimately, higher fares for shorter distance flights are better for the airline. I've flown XXX to Wichita, KS on a $900 ticket. Right around 2,400 miles round-trip when you go via ATL, or 37 cents per mile. A pretty good deal for Delta. So why is the person who pays $550 to fly to IST seen as more valuable and given more rewards than me?

If I was to develop a system, your cost per mile for each flight would be added up. So if one trip you spend $900 and fly 2,400 miles, you would get 0.37 for that flight with your 37 cents per mile spent. On another flight, you pay $500 and fly 4,000 miles roundtrip (12.5 cents per mile), you get a 0.13. So your total for the year is "0.50". Then those numbers are added up to determine where your status level is. The exact numbers would have to be debated, but or example, you have to hit "1.0" to get Silver, 2.0 to get Gold, etc. etc. etc. This system would reward both High-fare ticket flyers and true frequent flyers. So if you're constantly flying on fares earning 5 cents per mile, you can still earn status, but you have to make enough flights and bring in enough revenue for Delta to justify the benefits they're giving you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.