Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I think we need to be clear here -
A 'leisure' traveler flies SouthWest, Spirit and/or JetBlue because they only travel 2-3x a year. They don't care for loyalty and only care about price & baggage.

The folks in disagreement with this leak are:
hybrid business or status seeking travelers who want the perks of Gold,PL or DM without paying the full fare. This use to be manageable before merging airlines and credit cards/hotel bonuses/perks from all over the place.

If DL wants to eliminate 'Silver type' members (not a bad idea if they don't make the spend as DL probably loses the revenue in free baggage fees).
Next level - GM/PM - probably the majority of their program for whatever reason and they can weed out the low-revenue and make status translate to something when flying out of a hub. Sucks, if you are on a business trip w/business attire skipped up for UPG and walking on a plane and see a 3rd world couple from AsiaPac in first class with a plastic bag because they visit their grandkids 3x a year. Also, eliminate those located in crappy airports which require 3 segments to get anywhere also ahead of you on the UPG list even though they have lower rt airfare vs. your ticket (because you embark at a hub).

I can easily see a management consulting firm encouraging these changes (to match the SW, Jetblue or Virgin America) and selling it but excluding one con:
DL also makes money with full planes as last minute travelers have to buy tkts whatever the cost so airline doesn't lose money on MRs (which is why you rarely see JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO via MRs). If DL pushes away even 15% of loyal customers which translates into less full plane I would argue they lose more revenue as can't charge $1300 EWR<>ATL or DTW last minute if the plane has 18 empty seats.

Seats which previously would've been occupied by folks in this thread who are researching AA/US program or the very very congested MileagePlus.

A guy flying first class constantly could care less about this.

Finally, consultants spend tons of hours on a plan or solution to a problem and NO time how to circumvent their solution. Implement this program and easily - Puerto Rico, Hawaii, or USVI will get an influx of tourism and PO Box rentals. Wait, one can even rent one online. It is a non issue how it is currently drawn out.

As we know DL mgmt. consultants or executive management is reading this forum - guys fix your website first!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
Can this be for real????

$12,500 for Diamond??

I have spent at least $13k-$18k for the last three years and FINALLY hit Platinum for the first time this October. Everyone in my company will hit PM if not DM, and currently I am one of the highest Delta status folks here beside the President. This would bode well for me, but in my experience, this would make tons of people Diamond.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by adam1080
Can this be for real????

$12,500 for Diamond??

I have spent at least $13k-$18k for the last three years and FINALLY hit Platinum for the first time this October. Everyone in my company will hit PM if not DM, and currently I am one of the highest Delta status folks here beside the President. This would bode well for me, but in my experience, this would make tons of people Diamond.
It would be both the spend and miles requirements, not either or.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Can this be for real????

$12,500 for Diamond??

but you will need both, the DM mqm amount of 125K miles AND the sqm. The sqm and anything under 125K miles does not get you DM
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Can this be for real????

$12,500 for Diamond??

How so? You would still need to hit 125k mqms
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Can this be for real????

$12,500 for Diamond??

I think this is what DL wants. You don't travel much but heavy spend when you do. You don't clutter the system vs. guy flying from Omaha, NE or New Orleans which requires 2-3 connections to anywhere and low airfare so they have higher status but spend nothing. You do need miles to make your status but the two combine should give you GM but eliminate others ahead of you who don't spend $5k per year.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pbarnette
You want the program designed to disproportionately reward you (low spender) and some want the program designed to disproportionately reward them (big spender). That would seem to be the fundamental tension, no? I don't have a negative attitude toward MRs - I'm genuinely quite indifferent - but let's not pretend that we are all in this together.
As the speculation continues (after the pull back of the web details and the not likely to be ended silence from the social ambassadors), this has the potential to become a nasty dog-eat-dog debate of "I want the rules that best benefit me and to hell with you. I am the most deserving. I want the rules customized so that I am the only Diamond in the system. Plus, I want to be a Double Super-Duper Diamond."

In other words, par for the course on FT.

So...

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
You want the program designed to disproportionately reward you (low spender) and some want the program designed to disproportionately reward them (big spender). That would seem to be the fundamental tension, no? I don't have a negative attitude toward MRs - I'm genuinely quite indifferent - but let's not pretend that we are all in this together.
Indeed. Great post. I'm sooooo glad DL is doing something to make "elite" NOT so inclusive. When the SkyPriority lane at security at DTW is longer than the peeon lane, there is an undeniable problem.

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
but you will need both, the DM mqm amount of 125K miles AND the sqm. The sqm and anything under 125K miles does not get you DM
If that's the case, DL will screw those of us DM's who have high spend, but low mileage. I've spent over 25K each of the last three years, but never had more than 105,000MQM. (I have had over 150 MQS each year). I hope that is not the case, cause I'll be out the door.

However, I'll wait til it's published before I worry.

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
As a solely leisure traveler, I don't like this at all. Although my mileage and spend were in line with Delta's expectations this year, it won't always be.

Long term, this program is flawed. The math is easy now with a 10 to $1 ratio but given inflation, the value per mile will be continually changing. Lifetime status and annual re-qualification will be moving targets.

Also, with a specific cost attached to status, FFs will begin to evaluate if the benefits/product they receive for that status is worth the cost. This is something that Delta probably doesn't want to get people to start thinking about.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As the speculation continues (after the pull back of the web details and the not likely to be ended silence from the social ambassadors), this has the potential to become a nasty dog-eat-dog debate of "I want the rules that best benefit me and to hell with you. I am the most deserving. I want the rules customized so that I am the only Diamond in the system. Plus, I want to be a Double Super-Duper Diamond."

In other words, par for the course on FT.

So...

Popcorn indeed useful to pass the time, since the show and its actors were so predictable from even before this thread got started.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
Originally Posted by fti
Originally Posted by yolo1966
Disappointing to hear as a leisure traveler, but not surprising since we were warned for months. Once this takes effect I'll officially be a free agent buying fares based on price/schedule regardless of carrier because just like with bag fees once this takes off at Delta the rest will soon follow.

Will be interesting to see the impact on revenue because there are many in the same boat as me who didn't mind paying a little extra to fly DL when other airlines were cheaper due to elite perks and rollover. By raising the bar to maintain status there is no incentive to stay loyal in my case.
I think most people who pay for their own tickets (like me and apparently like you) realize this. It is those whose employer pay for their tickets who can pay more for MQM's because it is not coming out-of-pocket.

Having to qualify both with MQM and MQD is wise for Delta. Cheap MR fares alone will no longer get one to a higher status.
With companies cutting travel budgets and our uncertain economy, even those who have employer paid travel will be feeling the pain as diamonds start dropping to silver when they can't justify trying to game their employer into approving higher fares to meet spend.

In the long run the new strategy to replace the MR's will be trying to manufacture spend on Amex through various well known schemes as cheaply as possible to hit the $25k requirement. Even with the annual fee it's still a better deal.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
250 posts in 5.5 hours.

What is the record for most posts in the first 12 hours of a thread?

Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
This is great news; essentially a non-event. If you earn PM/DM without spending $10K/$12.5K+, you're likely acquiring MQMs via credit card spending. These new rules provide a waiver for those people. I doubt this will change the game for many. Will just reward the highest-fare travel more... good thing. I suspect any changes to RDMs will be similarly appealing. We'll see.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone remember the spending criteria that UA announced a year or so ago? Was it $2000 for 2P (now Silver), $4000 for 1P (now Gold), etc.? IIRC that was counting only flights on UA metal.
IIRC, it went up to either $8K or $10K for their 1k's. Don't recall if it was only UA metal but do remember that it did not include taxes. Pretty sure it included extra fees like baggage, etc. UA floated the idea, then dropped it.

Personally not opposed to a minimum spend and DL's figures seem to be in a reasonable ballpark. Certainly understand this from a rev perspective but still puzzled why DL feels it is in their best interest to thin their Medallion ranks. Seems to me it will make their marginal (former) Medallions even more price conscious and seek lower fares at every opportunity. Perhaps there is some DL/AmEx plan to make up for some of this.

Lots of kinks in this proposal, and lots of questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.