Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:53 pm

Gifting Gold/Silver Thought

I gift my wife Gold status as one of my benefits. She travels on cheap tickets, as my companion on my AMEX companion tickets, and on award travel. She'd never hit the MGD's required for Gold. I hope they have waive the MGD requirement for gifting ....

Happydad
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Wonder if taxes/fees would be included in the "amount of $ spent with Delta."

Just ran my numbers out of curiosity. Last year, I flew 23,000 miles (I only remained an FO because of rollover), while spending $2869.31. $2492.42 was in "fares", the remaining $376.89 in taxes and "carrier-imposed fees."
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
First, it ups the bonus from MQM 50% to 100% on paid FC. But I would suspect that those paying for FC are among the least likely to actually chase status... being as they get all the benefits of status with their paid FC ticket. So, on average, it rewards those that least care about being rewarded. Furthermore, I don't see how this incentivizes those that fly FC on a competitor to switch their loyalty to DL.
If the mysterious info on the website was correct, then it was not just paid FC... it was full J or F. Discount first/biz fares did not get 100% bonus.
That makes me agree with your comments even more... if a pax is paying 10k+ for an intl J ticket, they are also likely to be flying whoever provides the best service and schedule, not based on airline loyalty.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I am israeli so can i just say i live in israel to avoid some of the changes?
Don't worry -- I just arranged that for you. As an additional bonus, you also got 30 days reserve duty starting on April 4.

For me, the spend would not be a problem even if I had to pay it. I reached Platinum this year with a $9000 spend. What will hurt me is losing the 50% bonus for M fares. With luck, I might make Gold.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
I like what I see, especially the $25k spend to wive the MQD requirement. I plan on doing that every year anyways for the 10k+ MQM. I alkso like the 100% for first. There are some excellent first-class MRs out there (for now anyway).
Keep in mind it is F and J class only. Seemingly not discounted classes like P, A, C, D, S, or I.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Will the new and improved website show my Delta spend, along with my MQMs and MQSs?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by javabytes
You (and I think many here) misunderstand the point of FF programs. FF programs are not for an airline's best customers. An airline's best customers buy paid F/J and get most of the benefits that an airline FFP offers: a seat up front, free checked bags, priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, etc. No one's arguing these aren't extremely profitable customers for an airline. But they don't need an FFP to attract their business, and they don't fill planes.

FF programs are meant to attract an airline's second best customers. People who fly a lot, who buy coach fares, and who airlines want to turn into a steady, consistent revenue stream.
I do remember reading somewhere else here on FT which brought an interesting perspective. I don't know if I agree with it, but it was definitely food for thought and that was that airlines reward it's elite frequent flyers, even those who buy extremely low fares becauseeven if the elite frequent flyers are buying low fares, they're still forcing other passengers (other frequent flyers or not) to buy the higher fares. The end result is the same for the airline. They don't care if passenger A paid $200 and passenger B paid $600 or the other way around. Just so long as those $600 fares are being bought in addition the low fares. And that's why airlines reward frequent flyers - they're the ones ensuring the higher fares are bought, either directly or indirectly.

Like I said, I don't know if I agree with it, but there may be some truth to it. Of course the counter argument is the non-frequent flyer (or at least non-Elite) won't buy the higher fare; they'll just go elsewhere to find a cheaper fare.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Never mind.....

Last edited by cmh flyer; Jan 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm Reason: Post deleted
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by happydad100
I gift my wife Gold status as one of my benefits. She travels on cheap tickets, as my companion on my AMEX companion tickets, and on award travel. She'd never hit the MGD's required for Gold. I hope they have waive the MGD requirement for gifting ....

Happydad
if you gift your wife gold every year, then why does it matter how many segments or MGDs she would accrue? you'd just gift it to here again the next year
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
So then did Delta think of what flyers like me will do who currently fly enough to earn at least 125K but who's spend threshold is low? If I know that I will only qualify for GM, or PM based on my MDS, then I will stop flying DL once I reach my MQM level and my MDS for that level and fly another airline. What inscentive do I have to stick with Delta between MDS levels if I know I will fall short of making DM?
If you don't have the spend to qualify for DM, why would you have the spend to qualify for GM at GM MQM levels?

Originally Posted by PNET
That's not how I understand it. Spend does NOT waive the MQM requirement.
But it would waive the MQD requirement.

Originally Posted by PNET
My problem is that if I buy five transcons in C for business (they average 3-3.5k each) and spend 15k but only fly 25k miles and earn 37.5k (with CoS MQM bonus) MQM, DL will still only give me silver.
If all you are doing is buying 5 transcons in C per year, what's the need for status?

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I think you are probably correct. I class Istanbul on those fares as an MR - the goal should be to reduce MRs -or one of the goals anyway.
Why? If the planes are flying anyway, MRs are gravy on the books. MR fares happen because they're offering low fares and they're getting revenue they otherwise wouldn't get. The cost of an extra passenger on a route they are flying anyway is much less than the fare they are getting, so they're making profit off that customer.

And people who end up booking T fares take those fares out of inventory and make others buy higher-class fares.

Originally Posted by happydad100
I gift my wife Gold status as one of my benefits. She travels on cheap tickets, as my companion on my AMEX companion tickets, and on award travel. She'd never hit the MGD's required for Gold. I hope they have waive the MGD requirement for gifting
If the gift still exists, of course they would. Just like how they waive the current MQM/MQS requirement.

Unless you're talking about some Miller Genuine Draft requirement ....
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by 787fan
On one hand it makes sense - thin out the elite ranks by keeping hub-captive primarily business road warriors paying $500 for a 2.5 hr flight to XNA ...

On the other hand, it really discourages the leisure passenger from ever even attempting status. From NYC, 1 RT to HKG and 2 transcons is enough to hit 25K MQM, but if you're flying deeply discounted flights, you'll need 2 additional transcons to hit the same medallion tier. (random example assuming HKG is $1K and LAX-JFK are $375 apiece)

It would be a sad state if all the US legacies eventually move into this model.
I fall into the leisure flyer category, and the new rules will most certainly force me to change my flying style. It was a good run with DL. Was Plat from 2003 through the inception of DM, and then DM from the beginning until now. DL will thin out the ranks, and at the same time lose the business of those leisure flyers who were spending in upwards of 10K a year. And I know, DL will say, 'Dont let the door hit you'....

Originally Posted by mrredskin
if you gift your wife gold every year, then why does it matter how many segments or MGDs she would accrue? you'd just gift it to here again the next year
I think he's assuming that the basis of the gift would also require her to have met the requirements. Which to me, is a bit of a stretch.

On the other hand, the value of the DM amenity may increase in CC...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads
Beginning January 1, 2014, SkyMiles members residing in the United States (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will qualify for Medallion status based on an additional threshold – the member’s annual spending with Delta, which will be measured by Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria.
The threshold ranges from $2,500-$12,500 MQDs depending on Medallion level.
Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.
Well, this is not exactly terrifying... actually IMHO it may even INCREASE some levels. I think this is too low and expect it to go up. Heck I can hit both of these things and I fly L,U, T fares. I figure I easily spend $10K on fares and I put a lot more then $25K on the Delta card... I must be missing something (Of course my 2013 goal is to get out of this! )
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It may be best to leave it locked.

It's sad how little institutional memory exists on FT. LedgeT has provided a lot of accurate information over the years. His posts were corroborated with the descriptions in job postings. But that's all white-washed away.

So LedgeT projects a future where earnings and redemptions are based on revenue. Delta accidentally leaks a near future in 2013 where medallion levels are tied to revenue. The near future includes some tweaking of how MQMs and RDMs are earned based on the fares and revenue, rewarding full F/J and penalizing M.

And the mob is delighted because don't you know it means that LedgeT is still wrong and the changes won't hurt them. Okay, except for the mob that wants the herd thinned which of course means thinning the herd down to themselves. That mob wants more.

It is sad that FT has devolved to the point where some members take huge delight in proclaiming other members to be wrong or even liars. I thought it had gotten bad when some members plainly think they are better than everybody else because they (or more typically their employer) pay for a seat in the front of an aircraft.

Makes me wish there were a Dilbert strip about frequent fliers. There's lots of material.

David
Well said. ^

At least the once per week "LedgeT was wrong" post will sound a bit more vindictive here.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by DLroads
Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.
Literally, NOTHING will change for me because of this line.

Back your regularly scheduled program...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.