Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Interesting. Wonder if they broke this website early or something like that (given that the links don't all work)
It's possible they accidentally posted the wrong info and I know they were making decisions until the last possible minute. I honestly expected lower EQMs for sLUT fares.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It doesn't make sense to me, for it would be outrageous not to earn status if you flew 24,999 miles but spend $10K+ on airfare.
Nothing changed in this aspect. You couldn't get status in any year if you didn't meet the MQM threshold. And it is the same with AA, UA, US.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:43 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DLroads
Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.
I wonder if the spend threshold with AmEx will also still earn the bonus MQMs?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by johnm1019
This kills the one thing that probably bothered Delta the most. MR's.

I don't think it's so crazy.
Now MRs become less a part of the game, but still a piece in the puzzle. Doesn't make sense for MRs to be your main contribution to status, but can top off an account; conversely - someone able to generate $25K/year in spending on a DL Amex will be able to MR to their heart's content (if I am interpreting these rules correctly)

- Can someone clarify that the rule change regarding MQM bonuses is effective immediately, but that the minimum spend thresholds do not go into effect until 2014? The DL.dumb information is currently down.

Programs: DL DM
THANK GOD! DL finally doing SOMETHING (albeit small) to thin the herd.

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The only downer I can see would be if it impacts rollover, effectively negating it for someone that has a dramatic year-over-year decline in spend.
That's a good point. Just get a Delta Amex and spend $25K.

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
It's possible they accidentally posted the wrong info and I know they were making decisions until the last possible minute. I honestly expected lower EQMs for sLUT fares.
I just am surprised how quickly something got tied back up and put under wraps (or maybe whipped into submission).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No 50% bonus on M fares is crappy, especially with how expensive they are in order to use an SWU.

And really who cares about F and J increasing to 100% bonus. I have to assume that means full F/J and not P/A/I/S fares. Almost nobody buys a full priced ticket up front. The loss of M bonus is going to dwarf and additional MQMs that pax get from a F/J ticket.

Originally Posted by timmy83
Now MRs become less a part of the game, but still a piece in the puzzle. Doesn't make sense for MRs to be your main contribution to status, but can top off an account; conversely - someone able to generate $25K/year in spending on a DL Amex will be able to MR to their heart's content (if I am interpreting these rules correctly)
Good point about AMEX spend making MR's possible [under this language]. Although DL is ensuring they get their money this way (ofc).

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I honestly expected lower EQMs for sLUT fares.
Last time DL attempted that change, it triggered the Save Sky Miles campaign. Not sure if they want to revisit that again.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smaug
Last time DL attempted that change, it triggered the Save Sky Miles campaign. Not sure if they want to revisit that again.
Maybe they should...let the exodus begin
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Smaug
Different time, different world, different business. Nowhere for people to run.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The camel's nose is under the tent... this is just the beginning.

Don't worry, plenty of you will be happy with getting your way of the F cabin being paid only and no upgrades. DL obviously doesn't want to even deal with SWUs anymore, with wacking the bonus on pricy M fares. This is phase one, step one.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Anyone else doubt we will hear from the corporate reps on this??

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Maybe they should...let the exodus begin
What exodus? I don't think these changes are that drastic. If we were talking about a revenue-based redemption system, that would likely trigger an exodus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.