Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't get it.
Do you need to qualify for both the MQD and MQM threshold, or do you need to qualify for the MQD or MQM threshold?
Both. "Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria." underline added
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
So if rollover is still happening....

If I have 51,000 MQMs in 2014 but only spend enough to meet the silver threshold, what gets rolled over? 1,000? 26,000?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by houserulz77

Thank goodness my little piece of DL plastic solves everything!!
This could make the DL credit card in Canada MUCH more attractive- currently we Canucks only get bonus pesos not MQM or anything useful to me that is status related.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Guess I will delay my international J travel until at least 1 Mar.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bosman
Both. "Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria." underline added
It doesn't make sense to me, for it would be outrageous not to earn status if you flew 24,999 miles but spend $10K+ on airfare.

Originally Posted by DaChief
Guess I will delay my international J travel until at least 1 Mar.
Either way: I want to know these program changes ASAP as I was planning to spend $$$ on airfare this year. I already have planned (but not bought) several transoceanic trips. Perhaps I should give UA a hard look if DL is going to devalue Skymiles into hell...FO status or not.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Doesn't seem that bad. Losing the 50% bonus on M stinks, but all in all not bad.
Yeah, my personal spend on Delta last year was around $9,000 USD, and so if the thresholds are correct, I'd have still made PM if these were in effect last year. (My guess is they looked at avg. spend per Medallion level and set the threshold appropriately). This doesn't appear to negatively effect those who actually fly on "normal" fares (7-10cpm).

I like the F-J as I occasionally buy those and the 200% is a nice bump.

And, if RDM earning isn't affected as they state, this will only hurt folks who:

a) use MRs for Medallion status

and

b) don't fly much otherwise (by the spend requirement)

Personally, that sounds reasonable to me. :shrugs:

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Funny, the page on Delta.com is gone now....

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by JPCAG
Ultimately Delta is rewarding those that spend money with them-what a crazy concept
Well, not quite:

Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.
They're still keeping things cozy in the Amex bed
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Hopefully with 50% M bonus going away M fares will come down a bit?

I know - just dreaming.

This also answers the question about how AMEX will tie in ti the new Skymiles.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Well, not quite:

They're still keeping things cozy in the Amex bed
Amex spending = DL revenue. I fail to see the disconnect.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Doesn't seem that bad. Losing the 50% bonus on M stinks, but all in all not bad.
That one is strange, it's not like M fares are cheap. Then again I was pretty sure LUT fares would drop to 50% so EQM maybe they got cold feet and punished the higher M spenders to make up for that?

I think it's totally reasonable that there is a spend threshold. Not sure these are the right ones, but more importantly is delta.dumb going to start showing us our MQD's? Or will this require even more calls jamming up the Fake Chisholm line?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
That one is strange, it's not like M fares are cheap. Then again I was pretty sure LUT fares would drop to 50% so EQM maybe they got cold feet and punished the higher M spenders to make up for that?

I think it's totally reasonable that there is a spend threshold. Not sure these are the right ones, but more importantly is delta.dumb going to start showing us our MQD's? Or will this require even more calls jamming up the Fake Chisholm line?
I think they're just trying to drive a few bucks of extra revenue from folks who care about the 50% bump. If the dif between M and B is $50, I know I'd think pretty hard about the extra MQMs, especially in context of SWUs. Get the M, use the SWU. Check out the B fare. If it's a bit closer, sure, pay a bit and get more MQM. I see the logic. Dunno if I agree with it.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:42 am

This kills the one thing that probably bothered Delta the most. MR's.

I don't think it's so crazy.

I'm curious what will happen to those of us residing outside the USA. Are we simply exempt from MQD requirements? The original language seemed to imply this.

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Seems too that the minimum spend threshold of $25,000 can be met with any SM CC, so using the Gold, Plat, or Reserve? I assume the MQM thresholds will remain in place for the Plat and Reserve cards as well.
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by BobRoss
Yeah, my personal spend on Delta last year was around $9,000 USD, and so if the thresholds are correct, I'd have still made PM if these were in effect last year. (My guess is they looked at avg. spend per Medallion level and set the threshold appropriately). This doesn't appear to negatively effect those who actually fly on "normal" fares (7-10cpm).

I like the F-J as I occasionally buy those and the 200% is a nice bump.

And, if RDM earning isn't affected as they state, this will only hurt folks who:

a) use MRs for Medallion status

and

b) don't fly much otherwise (by the spend requirement)

Personally, that sounds reasonable to me. :shrugs:
The only downer I can see would be if it impacts rollover, effectively negating it for someone that has a dramatic year-over-year decline in spend.

And I'm curious what will qualify for the MQDs. Would these be restricted solely to DL-operated flights, or would DL-marketed flights qualify too? At the very least, I would hope that they would include flying with JV partners on JV routes - given the metal neutrality of the JV, it would seem silly to penalize someone for flying AF from JFK to Paris, rather than DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.