Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Well, the company has spoken:
Medallion Qualification Update
(I'm assuming DwayneSkyMiles actually is a DL representative and not one of the fake ones we've had troll around here before).
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
You've seen the upgrade lists of how many elites are on each plane. If DL is providing them free bags, free premium seating, free Economy Comfort, etc., that is ALL revenue that DL could be extracting from other folks. Low revenue "Elites" aren't worth as much as Kettles paying fees. This move by DL proves it....they have the metrics of bookings, revenue, etc. Flyertalk has anecdotal examples of spending which may or not be true.
I think this is probably the thinking, but I'm not sure Delta analyzed it correctly. Maybe Atlanta isn't an accurate snapshot of the overall network, but lots of flyers here stay loyal to Delta because of the perceived benefits of being FO. That will change now. Delta will lose volume when the newly non-elite, former FOs buy tickets on other carriers to save $20 to $30 on the fare. Does charging for bags or seat assignments make up for the drop in ticket sales with this group? I have my doubts, but Delta apparently thinks so. The only other way for Delta to keep these ticket sales is to match competitors' pricing every time, which again negatively impacts its revenue from ticket sales. Will the add-ons make up for the lost ticket sale revenue?

The lost loyalty will affect more than just the leisure travel of these travelers. They aren't going to be loyal to Delta on their business trips anymore either. Why not pick the time or price that best suits you every time, even for business travel, if the perceived perks of choosing Delta are gone? So, again, does Delta really know how much nudging out many FOs, and bumping some GMs down to FO, will cost the company in lost ticket sales revenue?

This doesn't affect me because my credit card spend keeps me safely at GM regardless of my Delta spend. But I'm still not sure it's a good idea for Delta to lose the loyalty of passengers they need to fill the planes.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well the killer for me will likely be the M fare MQM reduction. I was having a hard time justifying the price of M+SWU before... but with no 50% bonus you end up giving DL a ton of cash to sit up front and don't qualify. I'll probably just pick the carrier with cheapest biz fare now.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Well, the company has spoken:
Medallion Qualification Update
(I'm assuming DwayneSkyMiles actually is a DL representative and not one of the fake ones we've had troll around here before).
He is a confirmed representative of Delta Air Lines.

Please continue the discussion in that thread, which contains the confirmed official announcement.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.