Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Anyone with any basic understanding of business or marketing. This site was built on getting the most for the least. Precisely the customer Dl needs to send to ua
Respectfully, I glean information on how to efficiently travel. Sure, details are here for how to get the most for the least but many of us are too busy for all that. Just want to know how to get things accomplished via advice from other seasoned travelers.

OTP

Edit to say that I did glean quite useful information on SWU applications and save 4K on TATL trips. No sense in being dumb unless your good at it ;-)

Last edited by OnTimePlease; Jan 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
M fares are expensive! It's BS that they no longer earn a 50% bonus.
Another poster pointed out and I think it could have some merit to it. Maybe the M fares will lower to be more competitive and that is why they are reducing the MQMs.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It may be best to leave it locked.

It's sad how little institutional memory exists on FT. LedgeT has provided a lot of accurate information over the years. His posts were corroborated with the descriptions in job postings. But that's all white-washed away.

So LedgeT projects a future where earnings and redemptions are based on revenue. Delta accidentally leaks a near future in 2013 where medallion levels are tied to revenue. The near future includes some tweaking of how MQMs and RDMs are earned based on the fares and revenue, rewarding full F/J and penalizing M.

And the mob is delighted because don't you know it means that LedgeT is still wrong and the changes won't hurt them. Okay, except for the mob that wants the herd thinned which of course means thinning the herd down to themselves. That mob wants more.

It is sad that FT has devolved to the point where some members take huge delight in proclaiming other members to be wrong or even liars. I thought it had gotten bad when some members plainly think they are better than everybody else because they (or more typically their employer) pay for a seat in the front of an aircraft.

Makes me wish there were a Dilbert strip about frequent fliers. There's lots of material.

David
While I am just now catching up on this thread (currently reading page 12 of many), I'd like to say thanks David.

Some here act as if the information I provided in the now closed thread was all something I created out of the blue. I can assure you that is not the case.

I will not stand in to argue these points as I do not work for DL; I am a frequent traveler that likes to enjoy the benefits of Medallion status.

It is foolish to think that a major corporation, such as DL, doesn't change strategies, timelines, etc.

In the same vain, those that do not think that DL reads the forums and adjusts their strategies accordingly are also fools. Sure, they may not see the FT community as their "target customers". But, do we serve as free market research? To an extent, yes.

EDITED to Add: I have helped many along the way via PM and in the forum on SWU issues, policy issues and other matters. I have also received a number of PMs from several members. I do not take this forum personally and I understand the critics. That said, I'm not going to address them on a one-off basis. I'm currently in HSV and heading out on a cruise this weekend.... Should be fun to catch up with this thread in a week or so -- I'm sure by then it will be up to at least 100 pages.

-LedgeT

Last edited by LedgeT; Jan 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm Reason: Added content
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I was hundreds of posts late for the party and did something I've never done before: ate dinner at my computer desk... couldn't tear myself away.
I had dinner with my boss near head office and came back and 9 pages were added. Nearly close to the SkyMiles rumor thread a year ago.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Anyone with any basic understanding of business or marketing. This site was built on getting the most for the least. Precisely the customer Dl needs to send to ua
"getting the most for the least", i.e., normal people.

I do agree that DL hates people with normal IQ. They like morons who thinks Skymiles is far better than MileagePlus, because DL has a 3-tier award chart while UA only has 2 tiers.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Whoever is buying something wants the most product for the least $.
Whoever is selling something wants to sell the least product for the most $.

This is what makes free markets work. Buyer and seller agree on a price for a product. When a transaction occurs, both the price and the product are competitive. Uncompetitive products fail, and uncompetitive companies go out of business. Though I'm sure someone with a basic understanding of business such as yourself already knows this.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Doesn't sound that bad to me. Not a revenue-based program, but status with a revenue component. M-class @ 100% stinks, but UA is the same and 200% on full fare J/F is not bad either. If they keep 100% for E+ fares and simply require spending reasonable money on DL each year I think this is acceptable. Of course we'll have to see the full details and how the DL-spent is being calculated (e.g. only 006 ticket stock) and how JV are treated. If DL takes a middle road which takes JV into account I think I am ok with this change.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:29 pm
Suspended

I still think we only got to see half of the picture. My main interest is in what will happen to Skymiles. Change it to a "Skypoints" program with 1 sp = 1 cent?
With respect to the MQDs, I rather have a system that rewards status on an "OR" basis, as in "obtain a minimum MQMs OR spend a minimum $$$", as an "AND" system punishes flyers with minimal MQMs but high MQDs.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by indufan
Another poster pointed out and I think it could have some merit to it. Maybe the M fares will lower to be more competitive and that is why they are reducing the MQMs.
does anyone on this board actually believe that Delta will reduce M fare prces????

I'll have some of what they're drinking
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
does anyone on this board actually believe that Delta will reduce M fare prces????
They will if the market forces them to. If they feel like they are losing enough customers over the M+ upgrade thing, then they will. Personally, no I don't think they will because I think it works for them despite all of the complaining here. But I don't have access to the data. I know someone that does but I don't even think I will ask.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As the speculation continues (after the pull back of the web details and the not likely to be ended silence from the social ambassadors), this has the potential to become a nasty dog-eat-dog debate of "I want the rules that best benefit me and to hell with you. I am the most deserving. I want the rules customized so that I am the only Diamond in the system. Plus, I want to be a Double Super-Duper Diamond."

In other words, par for the course on FT.

So...

+1
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Id actually rather have and 'OR' system that can earn FO at $2500 spend or an MQM value but increase it to say, 30,000 for FO, 60,000 for Gold, 85,000 for Plat and keep Diamond at 125,000...

In this system, my spend would not have made GM but if I flew 60,000 bis, that would be attractive from a revenue perspective and would probably cost $3500 at a minimum.

Last edited by tfc3rid; Jan 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:02 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by tfc3rid
Id actually rather have and 'OR' system that can earn FO at $2500 spend or an MQM value but increase it to say, 30,000 for FO, 60,000 for Gold, 85,000 for Plat and keep Diamond at 125,000...

In this system, my spend would not have made GM but if I flew 60,000 bis, that would be attractive from a revenue perspective and would probably cost $3500 at a minimum.
It really has to be an AND system for this to work like they want it to.

By just adding to the minimum MQM amount they wouldn't really accomplish anything in terms of a revenue system.

And then having just the revenue basis isn't going to work either. Someone could buy a single $2500 TATL ticket and make FO and that does not fit into what they want their program to look like.

With all the talk here in FT the past year, I was a little scared about what this was going to look like, but if this is it, I personally feel ok about the changes.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I still think we only got to see half of the picture. My main interest is in what will happen to Skymiles. Change it to a "Skypoints" program with 1 sp = 1 cent?
With respect to the MQDs, I rather have a system that rewards status on an "OR" basis, as in "obtain a minimum MQMs OR spend a minimum $$$", as an "AND" system punishes flyers with minimal MQMs but high MQDs.
Probably a "per dollar" thing.

Southwest does something like 6 points per dollar for a basic fare, and you still get elite bonuses on top of that.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL GM
So I just bought an M fare, but don't fly it until April. Will I get the 50% bonus or not?

"For Delta-marketed flights, the MQM bonus for First/Business F and J fare classes will double from 50% to 100%, and Economy M fare class will no longer earn a 50% MQM bonus. This change will apply to tickets purchased on or after March 1, 2013." But who can be sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.