Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:21 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Within the next hour, you’ll see our official announcement of the changes we’re making to how you qualify for status in the Medallion program for 2015. We know you got a head start yesterday which is no surprise - you are some of our most passionate and engaged customers. We felt it was important to publish the details well in advance so you can plan your travel.

First, it’s true that we’re introducing a new requirement for earning status on Delta for US-based SkyMiles members. Starting January 1, 2014, Medallion status will be earned with MQMs or MQSs and a new threshold – Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). MQDs will be paired with our existing MQM/MQS requirements at each tier level and will include base fare and applicable surcharges (excluding taxes and fees) to qualify for each level.

Silver Medallion – you will need 25,000 MQMs or 30 MQSs and $2,500 MQDs
Gold Medallion – you will need 50,000 MQMs or 60 MQSs and $5,000 MQDs
Platinum Medallion – you will need 75,000 MQMs or 100 MQSs and $7,500 MQDs
Diamond Medallion – you will need 125,000 MQMs or 140 MQSs and $12,500 MQDs

If you have a U.S. Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express you will have the new MQDs requirement waived each year you make $25,000 in eligible purchases using your card.

Second, starting March 1, 2013 we are changing a few of the MQM bonus levels on certain fares. F and J class fares will increase to a 100% MQM bonus and M class fares will no longer receive an MQM bonus. Y and B fares will remain at the current level, receiving a 50% MQM bonus. This change will go into effect for Delta-marketed flights for any purchases on or after March 1 and for OA with travel flown on or after March 1, 2013.

These changes will not change the way your redeemable SkyMiles (for Award Travel, etc.) are counted or redeemed.

Today is just the first time you’ll be hearing from us about these changes as we’ll continue updating you with information through email and on delta.com until the new requirements are in place. We’ll also be keeping an eye on the conversations here on FT.

I’ll be back to respond to the common questions from the community in the coming days.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Will any of the fare classes earn less than one MQD per dollar spent?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Well, guess this sums up the speculation in the other therad.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Now some questions:

What about spend on partner airlines (both Skyteam and non-Skyteam partners ) and joint venture?

And does the spending have to be done through Delta.com specifically?

And what defines "residency"? Being military, I'm looking at trying to get an assignment overseas in Europe starting in 2014. Would I still fall under "US resident" requirements since I'm a US citizen, or would I be exempt from the spend because my DL profile would reflect my address (and temporary 'residence') in Europe?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
DwayneSkyMiles,

Can you define US based?

I'm an American living abroad...home is definitely in the UK, but I use my US credit card.

Thanks!
robin
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles

First, it’s true that we’re introducing a new requirement for earning status on Delta for US-based SkyMiles members. Starting January 1, 2014, Medallion status will be earned with MQMs or MQSs and a new threshold – Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs).
Thanks for posting.

My main questions are regarding how the MQD will be acheived. Will it only be on DL flights, or will any dollar spent on a skyteam or other delta partner flight qualify?

Will ancillary charges such as premium/economy comfort seating be applied to the MQD total?

What about taxes?

If I have DL tickets issued by a third party (via our travel agent at work), will these expenses add to our MQD total?

Thank You,
Timmy83
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Million Miler Program

I am a 2,000,000 miler. Will I retain Gold Medallion status going forward?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the way the statement is worded, I assume that F and J fares still earn 50% class of service bonus redeemable miles and the same is true for M, right? In other words, the announced changed apply only to the bonus for MQM and not the bonus for regular redeemable sky miles?

How exactly will MQD be calculated? Total ticket price excluding government-mandated taxes or fare only? What about "carrier initiated fees" such as fule surcharges? Will travel on flights operated by JVs (codeshares on DL metal or partner metal with either DL or other airline flight numbers and ticket stock) count? Travel on other SkyTeam members? NonSkyTeam partners such as Virgin Australia (long haul international and domestic)?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 17, 2013 at 6:58 am Reason: noticed that taxes are excluded in OP
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rwoman
DwayneSkyMiles,

Can you define US based?

I'm an American living abroad...home is definitely in the UK, but I use my US credit card.

Thanks!
robin
I'm in the same boat.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Mmmmmmm ham sammiches everywhere!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:56 am

I'm assuming "applicable surcharges" includes YQ/YR?

What happens with Skyteam/Other partner/JV spend? If only DL metal spend counts that's a big hit for those of us in cities like SFO which have lots of partner metal options.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will MQD spend be counted based on the scheduled date of actual travel or the time of ticket purchase? I'm guessing the former because otherwise someone could purchase tickets for future travel if they're short MQD at the end of the year and later change (or even cancel) the tickets.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:59 am
Suspended

MQDs are the total of the SkyMiles member’s spend on Delta-marketed flights (flight numbers that include the “DL” airline code), inclusive of the base fare and applicable surcharges, but exclusive of government- imposed taxes and fees.
Flight spend for travel on other airlines ticketed through a Delta channel (featuring a ticket number beginning with “006”) will also be included in MQDs.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...lars-faqs.html

This is a serious blow to Skyteam. For instance, if you buy an AF or KL ticket on their stock it will NOT earn MQDs.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Well, this answers some of your questions. In short, MQDs won't be issued for SkyTeam flights unless you buy the flight through Delta.

And million miler is not affected, it says.

More: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ars-faqs.html#
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Does base fare include the 7.5% excise tax?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.