Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
For those of us hub-captives, especially MSP and DTW, most of our fares are already over 10 cents per MQM...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by timmy83
Interestingly, all of this information has been entirely scrubbed from their website. There was a link for info for the 2014 program, which was broken, but is now MIA.

Yet another embarrassing flop for DL IT?
Or just a preemptive shot across the bow to judge reaction?

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by blug
Poor hub captive, I really feel for you.

"Nowhere for people to run."? geez

What kind of consumer would applaud for negative changes of a product because the producer killed the competitions? You may want to go advocate that the antitrust law is dead wrong.
The type of consumer that doesn't see the change as negative. I think SOMETHING needs to be done to thin the "elite" herd.
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhop1027
Or it will provide incentive for you to get an Amex or to move spend to Amex that you normally wouldn't. Not to say that everyone will, but I think this makes sense from an Amex/DL perspective.
I do not have a DL AMEX for the simple reason that the Skymiles earned are not worth my credit card spend. How would the new program provide an incentive to change that??
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:43 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I am israeli so can i just say i live in israel to avoid some of the changes?

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
time to start looking for another airline

I made GM last year and will make it again this year easily but once I reach the MQS and mileage threshold, there is no incentive for me to fly DL.

My international flights will easily total the 5K--once I reach 5K and 50K miles--off to another airline for status. First thing though is to achieve the highest status I can THIS year and status match

Originally Posted by PNET
This is a step in the right direction but not enough - I'm all for status earned on the basis of revenue dollars and miles accrued/redeemed on the current non-revenue-linked basis. My problem is that if I buy five transcons in C for business (they average 3-3.5k each) and spend 15k but only fly 25k miles and earn 37.5k (with CoS MQM bonus) MQM, DL will still only give me silver. Meanwhile some kid or blogger with too much time on their hands will do 10 transcon MRs at $250/pop ($2.5k total) and earn Gold. Which customer is more valuable to the airline? Yet who is Gold and who is Silver? If airlines were smart, they'd change the status calculation or at least make the qualification based on miles flown OR dollars instead of AND.
Delta's briefly posted rules do just that (2.5k is only enough MQD for Silver).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
So then did Delta think of what flyers like me will do who currently fly enough to earn at least 125K but who's spend threshold is low? If I know that I will only qualify for GM, or PM based on my MDS, then I will stop flying DL once I reach my MQM level and my MDS for that level and fly another airline. What inscentive do I have to stick with Delta between MDS levels if I know I will fall short of making DM?
I would argue that low-spend diamonds and plats are the flyers they are trying to encourage to fly other airlines.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by rylan
Guess I'm not seeing the part where SWUs would be more valuable. You need an M fare to use them, and now the 50% mqm bonus is gone. If they make M fares cheaper but make the SWU usable only on B+, then that only makes them even less valuable. B fares are quite a bit more than an M fare.
I think you and are have the same concern. I can't imagine spending over $5K on M fares - like I have done twice this year - and not getting the 50% boost.

In terms of the AMEX, I have a personal DL PL AMEX but airline tickets go on my office Corporate PL AMEX so do I need to change that to a DL reserve card?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:52 pm

How this works with partners is the big wildcard here. I spent over 5k on tickets credited to DL last year, but much of that was not on DL. A lot of that was AF/KL to Europe with an onward connection. If I would have to spend the money on DL that would mean taking an extra US connection to get where I'm going for a total of two stops.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I would argue that low-spend diamonds and plats are the flyers they are trying to encourage to fly other airlines.
Not just those, but ALL low-spend elites. I wouldn't be surprised if the current population of FOs and GM are casual flyers who buy cheap tickets for vacation/leisure travel mixed with some light travel for work. They'll be losing out big time too.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Seriously, though, I think this is just an indication of how unimportant some of you are. I received a personal call from Richard Anderson earlier today, much as I do for all impending announcements.
That makes sense. When he called me last night, he mentioned that he would be calling you today.

Mike
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by PNET
My problem is that if I buy five transcons in C for business (they average 3-3.5k each) and spend 15k but only fly 25k miles and earn 37.5k (with CoS MQM bonus) MQM, DL will still only give me silver. Meanwhile some kid or blogger with too much time on their hands will do 10 transcon MRs at $250/pop ($2.5k total) and earn Gold. .
Huh? The kid blogger would in this case have Gold based on MQM, but Silver based on spend (It's $5K for Gold). MQM AND MQD would mean the blogger would only qualify for Silver, just like you...

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
So then did Delta think of what flyers like me will do who currently fly enough to earn at least 125K but who's spend threshold is low?.
Yes, actually they thought precisely of people like you..no offense, but seriously, getting to DM with a $5K spend??? That's like someone taking two deeply discounted S fares from JFK to Europe a year, and qualifying for Diamond? Sorry, but a DM who only spends $5K a year probably costs Delta more money than Delta makes from that DM!

Originally Posted by amolkold
Spend is the new loyalty..
That is, and should always have been, for any airline, or any profit-making company!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
www.delta.com

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Or just a preemptive shot across the bow to judge reaction?
Corp Comm isn't smart enough for that.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Yes, actually they thought precisely of people like you..no offense, but seriously, getting to DM with a $5K spend??? That's like someone taking two deeply discounted S fares from JFK to Europe a year, and qualifying for Diamond? Sorry, but a DM who only spends $5K a year probably costs Delta more money than Delta makes from that DM!
@:-) (oops, that's me, I think. Thanks daddy AMEX and Rollover).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:02 pm

I think the midwest segment flyers that spend $1K a week on 1000 MQM will be the one's that will benefit under this program. I think if someone can show a $25,000 spend on only 25,000 mqms, there will be leeway and a judgement call that can be made to put them into a higher-level.

Hopefully so....they are the folks keeping DL going....not the jacka$$ flying RT 12 times to Istanbul on a $520 fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.