Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mhop1027
Or it will provide incentive for you to get an Amex or to move spend to Amex that you normally wouldn't. Not to say that everyone will, but I think this makes sense from an Amex/DL perspective.
I already have the plat amex but do not wish to break the bank to hit the <25K mark.

Just as DL has made changes over the years, so can we. While I might stick with DL, my plan B is to fly whichever airline has the cheapest J fares overseas and go LCC domestic. People who are leisure travelers have a choice; spend more to keep DM or spend nothing at all with DL.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
For those of us hub-captives, especially MSP and DTW, most of our fares are already over 10 cents per MQM...
This is exactly right. I wind up mostly on LUT, especially UT, fares with a CPM over 10 cents per mile. That's a big part of why the spend thresholds don't freak out me. Now if LUT fares start to earn fewer MQMs, then things are all sideways.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Bull$hit.
It's called "breach of contract", i.e. changing the terms AFTER the purchase.

Edit to add: Just found a previous settlement between frequent fliers and Delta.
What contract are they breaching here? It seems to me the changes only affect purchases made nearly 45 days from now. A month and a half. How is that not advance notice, and plenty of it, too?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I do not have a DL AMEX for the simple reason that the Skymiles earned are not worth my credit card spend. How would the new program provide an incentive to change that??
Easy, the incentive is to hit $25,000 to get any status you got from MR. The question is, do you value DL status, not Skymiles, enough to spend the extra $X on your DL Amex or would you rather put that $X on another card. I honestly think people will put that $X on their DL card, or even sign up for a DL card and put $25,000 on it so they can still MR for Million Miler status, MR for any status, or continue their MQM rollover without flying the next year (for those super DMs out there) without worrying about these new rules.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Yes, actually they thought precisely of people like you..no offense, but seriously, getting to DM with a $5K spend??? That's like someone taking two deeply discounted S fares from JFK to Europe a year, and qualifying for Diamond? Sorry, but a DM who only spends $5K a year probably costs Delta more money than Delta makes from that DM!

!!
That was a bit of an exageration. I would say my spend is closer to 10K and my MQM is over 125K. So for that, i will drop down a level to PM...Something for me to consider whether or not I want to stay. Im certainly not going to spend an extra $2500 a year just to maintain DM
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by PNET
That's not how I understand it. Spend does NOT waive the MQM requirement.
Yeah, misread that. The $2,500 "GM" would need the card not the poster I was responding to.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
What if you fly a ST partner airline - does it then not count towards your spending requirement with Delta? That's terrible... how could ST possibly allow this? This is almost Delta forcing all its members to fly DL exclusively, no?

Thank goodness that I don't live in the states anymore! and at least for now it seems to only apply to US members <phew...>

May be time to look into BA/AA especially since I already have Bronze with BA. But then, I still got 650,000+ delta miles to burn!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA G; DL G
I hope the spend related to companion travel is included in this new MQDs. DL receives more revenue because I politely encourage (a.k.a force) my wife to fly on DL when sometimes Southwest makes more sense.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:12 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Say I hit 126,000 MQM's a year which qualifies for DM, but my MQD is only at the GM figure (whatever that amount is), what level elite will DL consider me? Obviously not DM... Would it be PM or GM?

For me to earn 135,000 MQM a year and possibly only get to GM because of my low MQD, then just as DL makes changes to their policy, so will I (as to whom I fly).
You need to reach both MQM and MQD thresholds to attain status. So in your example, you get GM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan
Perhaps the DL social ambassador team is here and hard at work... this could've been an experiment to see our reaction.

Although, that assumes that anyone at DL cares about FTers opinions. lol. We're probably too small of a revenue subset to matter.
Originally Posted by timmy83
Again, this all follows their clear policy of being disingenuous with their customers. Dropping immediately effective changes from the sky, announcing an exciting new corporate social media team who is both silent and effectively useless at disseminating information or helping with questions, and sharing with us through website leaks appear to be a part of their policy. I wish it wasn't like this, but it appears to be their means of interaction with paying customers. That said, I don't know if any of the other legacy carriers are better from this perspective (although I am ignorant towards their social presence)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

Or, more appropriately, you can go to this site that as an audio clip identified as "Crickets, Georgia, U.S."

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/crickets_sounds_audio

Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think the midwest segment flyers that spend $1K a week on 1000 MQM will be the one's that will benefit under this program. I think if someone can show a $25,000 spend on only 25,000 mqms, there will be leeway and a judgement call that can be made to put them into a higher-level.

Hopefully so....they are the folks keeping DL going....not the jacka$$ flying RT 12 times to Istanbul on a $520 fare.
You think DL is going to promote someone based only on spend? They already can and do track that, and they don't give leeway to the qualification rules. If you miss by 1 segment or 1 mqm, you don't get the higher status. Spending that much isn't going to get you anything more until they allow qualification solely based on spend.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlysthruBNA
I hope the spend related to companion travel is included in this new MQDs. DL receives more revenue because I politely encourage (a.k.a force) my wife to fly on DL when sometimes Southwest makes more sense.
Depends on what card you charge it to... Just playing. Don't see DL including companion travel, justification would probably be that the loophole is already there with a DL card and to just put it there. Doesn't help for those who don't hit the thresholds though.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by FlysthruBNA
If you pay for both you and your spouse's tickets, will that count for spend on your account?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
That makes sense. When he called me last night, he mentioned that he would be calling you today.

Mike
You are clearly more important than me if he called you last night.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Guess I need to put my UK address on my account...I do live here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.