FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyDeltaJets87
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I think you are probably correct. I class Istanbul on those fares as an MR - the goal should be to reduce MRs -or one of the goals anyway.
That's why I've always thought the ideal system (at least for the airline) would be one that factors in both distance flown and $$$ spent. There are numerous factors contributing (landing fees, labor rates, aircraft type, number of seats, etc.), but ultimately, higher fares for shorter distance flights are better for the airline. I've flown XXX to Wichita, KS on a $900 ticket. Right around 2,400 miles round-trip when you go via ATL, or 37 cents per mile. A pretty good deal for Delta. So why is the person who pays $550 to fly to IST seen as more valuable and given more rewards than me?

If I was to develop a system, your cost per mile for each flight would be added up. So if one trip you spend $900 and fly 2,400 miles, you would get 0.37 for that flight with your 37 cents per mile spent. On another flight, you pay $500 and fly 4,000 miles roundtrip (12.5 cents per mile), you get a 0.13. So your total for the year is "0.50". Then those numbers are added up to determine where your status level is. The exact numbers would have to be debated, but or example, you have to hit "1.0" to get Silver, 2.0 to get Gold, etc. etc. etc. This system would reward both High-fare ticket flyers and true frequent flyers. So if you're constantly flying on fares earning 5 cents per mile, you can still earn status, but you have to make enough flights and bring in enough revenue for Delta to justify the benefits they're giving you.