Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
I would add a few thing about the FlyingBlue/SkyMiles cold war:

A/ There is no such thing as a complimentary upgrade on AF's metropolitan or european domestic flights. Therefore, there can be no reciprocity on DL US domestic flights.

B/ Sure, there might be less upgrade availability for FB customers on DL metal out/into CDG. That's unfair. But most frequencies are AF operated (5 out of 6 frequency on the JFK/CDG line; 2 out of 3 on the CDG/ATL line...). DL's customer flying to CDG therefore become AF's captive audience.

C/ AF representatives always make DL customer feel like second class citizens. Especially when you're French (which is my case). It's almost as though I was an anti-patriot by crediting my miles on my DL's account. (I can't even remember how often I was told "But why in the world would you want to credit those miles on a non-Flying Blue account?" or "There's something wrong in your reservation, some DL number's in there; would you like me to replace it with your Flying Blue account number?"

D/ O availability is EXCELLENT for Flying Blue customers in my experience (at least on the CDG/JFK line). It has been essentially non existent for SkyMiles customers. Not to mention those O seats are totally hidden from DL's representative or Expert Flyer.

E/ Part of the problem comes from DL's lack of Premium Voyageur offer. DL's W fare is the unique way to buy Premium Voyageur and is the equivalent of AF's A fare which stopped being upgradable a long time ago.

F/ Yes, this is retaliation from AF against DL. I spoke with many Flying Blue representatives about this and they complained about the lack of award seat availability for AF's FlyingBlue customers on DL domestic flights, making it harder and harder for them to build complex award tickets itinieraries to/from the US.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
I would add a few thing about the FlyingBlue/SkyMiles cold war:

A/ There is no such thing as a complimentary upgrade on AF's metropolitan or european domestic flights. Therefore, there can be no reciprocity on DL US domestic flights.
If we accept A/ as a valid argument, then we must accept this as well: there are no SWUs on AF-KL for FBs, therefore there cannot be reciprocity for SM members
But it's my impression that was not the reason for your mentioning of A
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
E/ Part of the problem comes from DL's lack of Premium Voyageur offer. DL's W fare is the unique way to buy Premium Voyageur and is the equivalent of AF's A fare which stopped being upgradable a long time ago.
And part of the solution will likely come for here: DL will come up with a higher fare Premium Economy: W is still not be upgradable and new fare (that will likely be priced like a M fare) will be upgradable.

BTW, I second your comment about French customers with SM accounts. Each time I call FB or AF I get comments too...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Sabai
Not quite the KL/NW days when benefits and treatment of each other's elites was reciprocal. The Seamless travel alliance has been showing quite a few cracks recently.
Perhaps because the dominant part of the arrangement is now the DL/AF arrangement, which always had a few cracks in it.

NW/KL seamless (and predating the AF acquisition of KL by several years); DL/AF, not so much.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ianturner
for getting rid of SWUs on KLM metal too. was planning on using that to KUL later.
Wow, this is horrible. Apparently some JV between DL and KL/AF. This indeed is getting worse. Definitely won't ever select SWU's again. TPAC M fares are now above $3K. I can buy a J seat on UA for as much.

Originally Posted by rylan
And everyone wonders why the attitude in this forum is negative... its stealth changes like this that make people PO'd.
+1. How many communications have we received from DL on this? 0! And the best part, is the website will change after the fact.

Expect a complaint from me on my recent SWU selection DL...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
LOL, read this:

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards
You can use your miles for a one-class upgrade on most Delta operated flights. Mileage upgrade awards do not apply on all fares. To view the miles needed, see Delta Upgrade Awards.
SkyMiles members can also use miles to upgrade to Business class when flying on a full fare economy class (Y) ticket on many of our SkyTeam member airlines. In addition, as a result of our enhanced relationship with KLM and Air France, SkyTeam mileage upgrades can now be used on the following KLM and Air France booking classes. On KLM operated flights: Upgrade from economy Y, B, M, and U classes to Business class. On Air France operated flight: Economy Y, B, and M class to Premium Voyageur class only on Transatlantic flights. Premium Voyageur W and S class to Business class only on transatlantic flights, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights. Upgrade request has to be done 24 hours before the departure for Air France and KLM operated flights. You will need to contact a Delta reservations agent by phone for more details and to process this upgrade request.

I guess we've all been enhanced once again. Something about loyalty being a two way street.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Perhaps because the dominant part of the arrangement is now the DL/AF arrangement, which always had a few cracks in it.

NW/KL seamless (and predating the AF acquisition of KL by several years); DL/AF, not so much.
NW/KL should have been the model for the joint venture. Heck, when I first started flying I thought they were the same company due to how well things were jointly branded on this side of the pond. Signage, announcements, some dual livery planes...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mnredfox
LOL, read this:

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards
You can use your miles for a one-class upgrade on most Delta operated flights. Mileage upgrade awards do not apply on all fares. To view the miles needed, see Delta Upgrade Awards.
SkyMiles members can also use miles to upgrade to Business class when flying on a full fare economy class (Y) ticket on many of our SkyTeam member airlines. In addition, as a result of our enhanced relationship with KLM and Air France, SkyTeam mileage upgrades can now be used on the following KLM and Air France booking classes. On KLM operated flights: Upgrade from economy Y, B, M, and U classes to Business class. On Air France operated flight: Economy Y, B, and M class to Premium Voyageur class only on Transatlantic flights. Premium Voyageur W and S class to Business class only on transatlantic flights, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights. Upgrade request has to be done 24 hours before the departure for Air France and KLM operated flights. You will need to contact a Delta reservations agent by phone for more details and to process this upgrade request.

I guess we've all been enhanced once again. Something about loyalty being a two way street.
That's the old language...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Yeah I know. I guess JV isn't enhanced anymore...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
It's still on the webpage.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It's still on the webpage.
I know, but my point was that DL didn't post new language and use the word "enhanced" to describe this change.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Actually, what is going on now is just normal: since when should a DL W fare be upgradable? From the website, only AF S and W flight can be upgraded using an SWU, and this will certainly remain for a while (after the "no upgrade period" that they need to analyse where AFKLDL screwed up).

What happened is that Delta considered a DL W flight operated by AF just like an AF W flight... which is incorrect. A DL W flight is actually equivalent to an AF A flight which is not upgradable.

Star Alliance also allows to upgrade flights with miles from other programs but they make it clear that code shares are excluded from the upgrade program to avoid such cases.

So, instead of complaining, all those that managed to upgrade a DL W fare operated by AF in the past should considered themselves lucky as you were not entitled to it by the rules.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ranskis
Actually, what is going on now is just normal: since when should a DL W fare be upgradable? From the website, only AF S and W flight can be upgraded using an SWU, and this will certainly remain for a while (after the "no upgrade period" that they need to analyse where AFKLDL screwed up).

What happened is that Delta considered a DL W flight operated by AF just like an AF W flight... which is incorrect. A DL W flight is actually equivalent to an AF A flight which is not upgradable.

Star Alliance also allows to upgrade flights with miles from other programs but they make it clear that code shares are excluded from the upgrade program to avoid such cases.

So, instead of complaining, all those that managed to upgrade a DL W fare operated by AF in the past should considered themselves lucky as you were not entitled to it by the rules.
You're quoting the rules for SkyTeam upgrades with miles. That's a totally different program from the use of SWUs, which can only be used on DL and, presumably due to the joint venture, AF/KLM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ranskis

So are you saying that DL customers broke the rules when getting upgraded on AF flights using DL SWUs? Blaming the customers would seem to be misplaced.

As an AF elite, I doubt this ordered change with DL SWU application will result in a new customer-friendly order for customers in the main, whether AF-KL elites and/or DL elites or not. Any perceived gains by AF-KL FFP customers as a result of this change will be an illusory or quickly evasive flash in the pans.

DL and AF-KL created this situation, as carnal bed-buddies pursuing JV type interests.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:01 am

i was looking to buy PV seats for LAX-CDG-LAX on the A380 and then use delta miles to upgrade to business. i figured the chances of upgrade before the flight date was zero but thought i might have some chance of upgrade at the gate. but what i'm reading here seems to imply i have no chance (assuming i have the correct fare class which seems to be S). is this true or are some people getting upgraded on an S class ticket at the gate ?

one thing that i'm confused on is the A, S, W fare classes. from the AF website, i see A as the cheap PV fare, S as the middle fare, and W as the most expensive (800 o/w for A, 1,000 o/w for S, and 5000 o/w for W). from what i've read in this thread it appears that W fares are no longer upgradeable but S fares are (but don't seem to stand a chance at clearing). and we know A fares are not per the delta website. any clarification on this from the long time FTers ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.