Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Gajan
I think you summed it up pretty well.
I am sure that the fact that it would appear that there are less seats available to FB members compared to SM members has also not escaped Flying Blue and that action has been taken from their side.
To a certain extent I can see it from the AF/FB point of view. We had a benefit that FB's own elites didn't have (the ability to upgrade from a DL W fare.) But if the changes end up being more extensive/restrictive than that, then AF/KL becomes a less valuable partner for DL flyers.

What this really highlights is that the SWUs, given to DL's most highly valued clients, are basically worthless. At the fares that DL requires for TATL upgrade, I can often buy a J ticket directly on another carrier. Aside from upgrade priority on US domestic flights, the SWUs were really, for me personally, the only other valuable Diamond benefit. (For those who point out club access, I'd rather pay for club access and have better upgrade benefits.)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Below is the response from DL to an email I sent them to:
1. express discontent in the discontinuation of the W to O upgrade program
2. complain about the lack of communication from DL on this
3. indicate that delta.com still lists W to O upgrade program as a benefit, at least for SWU use.

In my email, I asked for commercial gesture for flyers who already hold a W reservation and are trying to upgrade (such as re-booking on DL metal with possibility to apply a SWU).

No luck of course. I find their last sentence interesting : "I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines, you will continue to protect that investment and fly with us. "

I have to say, for the first time, I am actually considering leaving Skymiles for AA and OW...

Dear Dr. vgb2001,

RE: Case Number 7096254

Thank you for your additional comments concerning our recent exchange of
e-mails.

While we would like to offer special consideration due to the policy
change on upgrades with Air France, we are unable to honor the similar
requests that we receive from others in equally deserving situations. We
follow a consistent policy to ensure that we are fair to everyone who
travels with us. Accordingly, we must respectfully decline your request
to be upgraded on a Delta operated flight to Paris this week using
SkyMiles or SystemWide Upgrade Certificates. Our delta.com team is in
the process of getting our website updated.

I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines, you will
continue to protect that investment and fly with us.

Sincerely,

Alex Taylor
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
for getting rid of SWUs on KLM metal too. was planning on using that to KUL later.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
And everyone wonders why the attitude in this forum is negative... its stealth changes like this that make people PO'd.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

With no more AF and KL upgrades and minimal "O" inventory, does that mean that RTW awards have become very difficult/impossible to book as well? Not sure into what fare buckets they book.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ianturner
for getting rid of SWUs on KLM metal too. was planning on using that to KUL later.
Where is the source that confirms the SWU benefits are lost with KLM?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because upgrades on KLM from M or U also book into O inventory.

As for RTW, that requires the low award levels, which would also use O on AF... so it looks like that will be extremely hard to find as well.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
Has this policy been adopted "officially" by Delta/AF? If so, how EXTREMELY disappointing.

I've been a loyal GM for the past three years. 2012 will mark the first time I become a PM. Since I frequently fly to Europe, I prefer AF/KL. I was looking forward to using SWU's...and now....this.

Is there any incentive to remain in the Skymiles program? Why not switch to AA, UA or one of the MANY Star Alliance partners?

Last edited by upgradeluvr; Sep 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Below is the response from DL to an email I sent them to:
1. express discontent in the discontinuation of the W to O upgrade program
2. complain about the lack of communication from DL on this
3. indicate that delta.com still lists W to O upgrade program as a benefit, at least for SWU use.

In my email, I asked for commercial gesture for flyers who already hold a W reservation and are trying to upgrade (such as re-booking on DL metal with possibility to apply a SWU).

No luck of course. I find their last sentence interesting : "I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines, you will continue to protect that investment and fly with us. "

I have to say, for the first time, I am actually considering leaving Skymiles for AA and OW...

Dear Dr. vgb2001,

RE: Case Number 7096254

Thank you for your additional comments concerning our recent exchange of
e-mails.

While we would like to offer special consideration due to the policy
change on upgrades with Air France, we are unable to honor the similar
requests that we receive from others in equally deserving situations. We
follow a consistent policy to ensure that we are fair to everyone who
travels with us. Accordingly, we must respectfully decline your request
to be upgraded on a Delta operated flight to Paris this week using
SkyMiles or SystemWide Upgrade Certificates. Our delta.com team is in
the process of getting our website updated.

I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines, you will
continue to protect that investment and fly with us.

Sincerely,

Alex Taylor
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Big fat bummer. I agree the "hours you have invested" line makes a mockery of us all.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
Is there any incentive to remain in the Skymiles program? Why not switch to AA, UA or one of the MANY Star Alliance partners?
Well, it seems if you fly intl and want to use upgrade instruments on any of those flights, then no. If you fly solely domestic on high fare tickets, then yes as you still may be able to get upgrades... however that is getting fewer and farther between with FCM in maximum force.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
Has this policy been adopted "officially" by Delta/AF? If so, how EXTREMELY disappointing.

?
A memo was sent last week. So it's official. However, as of this morning, delta.com had not been updated and no email was sent to skymiles users to warn them of the change. For all we know, people might still be buying W on Delta or Air France with the goal to upgrade to O.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
To a certain extent I can see it from the AF/FB point of view. We had a benefit that FB's own elites didn't have (the ability to upgrade from a DL W fare.) But if the changes end up being more extensive/restrictive than that, then AF/KL becomes a less valuable partner for DL flyers.
I can understand your point, but will answer with a question:
Which benefits do FB members get travelling on Delta?

The only thing I can think of is that they are eligible for upgrades too but as their priority seems to be low it would appear that they are not upgraded frequently.

On the FB board it is frequently discussed that it is quite difficult to get awards on Delta. Based on that, I can understand that FB has reduced availability for SM members (based on the idea why should we make availability for SM members while Delta does not make availability for FB members).

Gajan
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: DM/3MM

The only thing I can think of is that they are eligible for upgrades too but as their priority seems to be low it would appear that they are not upgraded frequently.

On the FB board it is frequently discussed that it is quite difficult to get awards on Delta. Based on that, I can understand that FB has reduced availability for SM members (based on the idea why should we make availability for SM members while Delta does not make availability for FB members).

Gajan
Gajan, I completely see your point of view. At the AF DO in April I clearly got a broader understanding that FB elites were getting the short end of the stick, so to speak, meaning SM elites got better benefits out of AF than FB elites got from DL. FB elites get upgraded even after FOs...and as I Diamond even I miss upgrades, so I can imagine how infrequent they are for FB elites. Upgrades on Delta can't really be claimed as a great FB benefit.

What I was trying to point out was the larger issue in that aside from upgrade priority on domestic/N America flights, there really aren't much in the way of tangible benefits (for me) for being Diamond on Delta, and the SWUs had real value. The SWUs used to have true value (which is why their distribution was limited), then after Delta raised their TATL M fares much higher, they didn't. (Jeff Robertson on this board (prior to the AF benefit) said that 85% or so of SWUs, issued only to Platinums and Diamonds, expired unused.) The AF usage made them valuable once more. No, not so much.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
IOn the FB board it is frequently discussed that it is quite difficult to get awards on Delta. Based on that, I can understand that FB has reduced availability for SM members (based on the idea why should we make availability for SM members while Delta does not make availability for FB members).
Not quite the KL/NW days when benefits and treatment of each other's elites was reciprocal. The Seamless travel alliance has been showing quite a few cracks recently.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler

Gajan
Gajan, I completely see your point of view. At the AF DO in April I clearly got a broader understanding that FB elites were getting the short end of the stick, so to speak, meaning SM elites got better benefits out of AF than FB elites got from DL. FB elites get upgraded even after FOs...and as I Diamond even I miss upgrades, so I can imagine how infrequent they are for FB elites. Upgrades on Delta can't really be claimed as a great FB benefit.
I would just add that upgrade eligibility for FB elites on DL domestic flights is not a published benefit. FB acknowledges, mentioned at the AF do, that given the low upgrade chances for FBs making it a published benefit would be counterproductive in raising false hopes for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.