Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:01 am

Glad I have been sitting on my 2013 choice benefits choice. I was actually considering SWU for the first time since we used to get six paper ones "back in the day"

I'm not terribly upset about this, but my revenue TransAtlantic flights will not be on 006- stock.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Here's what happened:

1. SkyPeso award ticket availability in J and Y on KLM & AF has been reduced from US/Canada <--> France *AND* US/Canada <--> Netherlands.

2. SWU and Mileage upgrades aren't available on AF flights. They are available for KLM but only from Y or B and into Z.

This appears to not only impact DL meaning it was initiated by KLM & AF.

Last edited by LedgeT; Sep 15, 2012 at 6:57 am
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've been saying it over and over, but if you are a VFIF and not a hub/route captive, DL is not the airline for you. UA and AA are much better.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:58 am
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Here's what happened:

1. SkyPeso award ticket availability in J and Y on KLM & AF has been reduced from US/Canada <--> France *AND* US/Canada <--> Netherlands.

2. SWUs and Mileage upgrades aren't available on AF flights. They are available for KLM but only from Y or B and into Z.

Are you saying there are further reductions coming or that 1 was done previously? I wasn't so concerned about the SWUs because I was smart enough to stop selecting those but further devaluation of the peso is a huge problem for everyone.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by EZE
Are you saying there are further reductions coming or that 1 was done previously? I wasn't so concerned about the SWUs because I was smart enough to stop selecting those but further devaluation of the peso is a huge problem for everyone.
This is all one devaluation. It's my understanding that the reduced award ticket availability is loaded now.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
I wonder when the reduced O on Air France takes effect. Last week I got 3 O tickets JFK-CDG on the A380-800 for next summer (all 3 on the same flight), each for 100K miles. I would think that as the European economy continues to sour that AF would encourage the conversion of W to J just to get the added revenue from W and fill a presumably emptier J. But seriously, I get more glad each day that I chose to burn my remaining SkyMiles.

Last edited by mike_plat; Sep 15, 2012 at 7:38 am Reason: clarity
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I wonder when the reduced O on Air France takes effect. Last week I got 3 O tickets JFK-CDG on the A380-800 for next summer (all 3 on the same flight), each for 100K miles. I would think that as the European economy continues to sour that AF would encourage the conversion of W to J just to get the added revenue from W and fill a presumably emptier J. But seriously, I get more glad each day that I chose to burn my remaining SkyMiles.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...g-o-class.html

I started this thread in May because I noticed O was vanishing in general earlier this year.

This makes me glad I have status over at UA now.

Especially since I am also finding it a lot harder to get the 120K TPAC than last year.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Sep 15, 2012 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Here's what happened:

2. SWU and Mileage upgrades aren't available on AF flights. They are available for KLM but only from Y or B and into Z.

When you say reduced SkyPeso availability, are you referring to just DL miles? Or has KL/AF slashed classic availability for FB as well? (And speculating a bit farther, does this have anything to do with the two different "Classic" mileage levels that we have been seeing recently on the FB search engine?)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I have not tried to book an upgrade on AF because I try to avoid CDG at all costs; however, I have had no luck with KLM either.

Booked M on DL flight number because agent said I would have a better chance going M to Z (KL requires B to go to Z). I have been watching expert flyer and sure enough, on KL Z will open when there is no O available. Then they schedule change the KLM flight and rebook me with a KL flight number into U which upgrades into O but not Z. I was tempted to change it back to the DL flight number based on what I was originally told but based on what I have seen on EF, the likelihood of a Z opening up on the DL flight number are about 0%, so my only hope is O opening up. Preparing for my 7 hour redeye in coach. The good news I easily snagged an EC seat (KL system recognized my STE status).

I burned a SWU for the second leg on DL but am reserved to being in Y on the first leg. Tired of dealing with it and worrying about it. Just hope the waitlist on DL clears on the way over otherwise I have an SWU expire and bought M just to get one leg in J.

I know I got slightly off topic but the moral of the story is there is no seamless here and the SWU are almost impossible to use.
You do realize that Z is a revenue fare bucket for AF/KL, right? It's deeply discounted business, akin to S on DL-coded flights. You'll never be able to upgrade a DL-coded, KL-operated flight via SWU/miles without having the flight number changed to KL, and so if the SWU T&C allow upgrading to Z instead of O on KL for the most expensive buckets, then you'd have to have the flight number changed to KL and the bucket put over to the corresponding KL bucket. If you bought DL M, then you'll go to KL M or U, which will not upgrade to KL Z.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I saw it happen a week ago. i was watching some JFK-CDG flights in January. Plenty of seats on the days and surrounding week I was looking. Now, nothing. Not 1 O seat available.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am becoming happier and happier that I was able to snag two O seats for next May/June from MIA-CDG, TNR-CDG, and CDG-MIA. I called the first day the outbound was open for booking and then reissued the ticket twice to grab the other flights (including CDG-LHR-NBO-SEZ on AF/KQ). On the two TATL legs, there were only 2 O seats initially. They disappeared after I grabbed them, and I haven't seen anymore open since. On the TNR-CDG leg, even after I booked, EF listed O9, but those disappeared several weeks ago, even though the seat map still indicates that me and Mrs. Deemus are the only J passengers.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...g-o-class.html

I started this thread in May because I noticed O was vanishing in general earlier this year.

This makes me glad I have status over at UA now.

Especially since I am also finding it a lot harder to get the 120K TPAC than last year.
Yes, I think the issue of the non-existing low award seats to Asia, and the 'bait and switch' (120K that becomes 170 or even 220K at booking) is already far above and beyond 'technical issues'. The problem is that it is next to impossible to force DL to correct that. They seem to have so much 'smoke' that they can't tell anymore what's real smoke (that they've created) and what's a real problem
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
When you say reduced SkyPeso availability, are you referring to just DL miles? Or has KL/AF slashed classic availability for FB as well? (And speculating a bit farther, does this have anything to do with the two different "Classic" mileage levels that we have been seeing recently on the FB search engine?)
My sources are DL only; however, it is my understanding that the reductions impact DL *AND* other airlines. I do not have proof of that, though.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:00 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by Deemus7
I am becoming happier and happier that I was able to snag two O seats for next May/June from MIA-CDG, TNR-CDG, and CDG-MIA. I called the first day the outbound was open for booking and then reissued the ticket twice to grab the other flights (including CDG-LHR-NBO-SEZ on AF/KQ). On the two TATL legs, there were only 2 O seats initially. They disappeared after I grabbed them, and I haven't seen anymore open since. On the TNR-CDG leg, even after I booked, EF listed O9, but those disappeared several weeks ago, even though the seat map still indicates that me and Mrs. Deemus are the only J passengers.
You got lucky --- b/c upgrades beyond CDG are not supposed to be allowed.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:01 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by andymo99
You got lucky --- b/c upgrades beyond CDG are not supposed to be allowed.
Another big devaluation.

I was disappointed earlire when DL metal took over SEA-CDG, b/c DL M fares are so much higher than W. I guess now it is less regretable, especially with lie-flats coming in at the end of October.

KL remains the best value on this one, as they allow upgrades from Y/B/M/U, and they also allow upgrades beyond AMS. Let's see how long until all that changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.