Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta PM, SkyClubs

I just got off the phone with the Plat phone line. My AF flight had been booked awhile ago (Premium Class W) and I was just checking back with Delta for upgradeable seats and have had no luck.

The rep told me that she just saw an e-mail yesterday saying that Air France (AF) is no longer offering O class or upgradeable seats for SWU nor for miles for Delta with W class fares.

As a courtesy they (a Supervisor) provided me an upgrade on Delta metal but couldn't offer it on my return flight since there were none available. It's cost me 25,000 for Business Class for the first leg of the journey. She said that all the Business Class seats were full on the return for the dates I was traveling.

My guess is that because AF Premium class W tickets are cheaper (she priced out a M class and it was 2x as much as I had paid) AF doesn't want to honor it anymore.

I'd be interested if others can confirm this.

End of an "error."

FYI: I've posted this same message in the Air France upgrades thread but thought it warranted it's own thread. Moderator close if you think unnecessary.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
[QUOTE=Bry_guy;19315006]
As a courtesy they (a Supervisor) provided me an upgrade on Delta metal but couldn't offer it on my return flight since there were none available. It's cost me 25,000 for Business Class for the first leg of the journey. She said that all the Business Class seats were full on the return for the dates I was traveling.

QUOTE]

Can you clarify what you mean by "provided me an upgrade on Delta metal"? Was it on a route that both DL & AF operate so they could just move you to the DL metal flight, or did the Supervisor provide you with a different routing?

FWIW, I'm in the same boat--booked AF W months ago assuming that, as has always happened in the past, O would open up closer to departure date. My route is LAX-CDG, so no DL metal, unless DL is willing to change it to a connecting flight (plenty of Z availability via SLC).

I've read other threads that O has become signficantly harder to find. But just last week I booked 3 J award seats on AF for July 2013. I noticed that whereas it used to be AF's 343s and 380s had availability, now it seemed only the 77Ws had availability (and as we'll be traveling with a 2 year old next summer, I actually wanted the 3 J seats in the middle together anyway).
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
They have greatly reduced O availability in general.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well if true that would be another big downgrade to the program... and killing one of the last places you can use an SWU that had good value instead of paying 4k+ for an M fare.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The memo (as claimed by DM agent) stated "(extremely) limited availability on 'O' fare"
(I put extremely in parenthesis because I could not understand if the word was there, or if it was an addition from the agent)

Either way, it seems like a serious problem, and it makes me not as happy. But, I start linking the dots between notes that different agents give me this week. Seems like there is some ground work for a new system ("Access"?) to replace certain elements of the current system taking place this month
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLroads
The memo (as claimed by DM agent) stated "(extremely) limited availability on 'O' fare"
(I put extremely in parenthesis because I could not understand if the word was there, or if it was an addition from the agent)

Either way, it seems like a serious problem, and it makes me not as happy. But, I start linking the dots between notes that different agents give me this week. Seems like there is some ground work for a new system ("Access"?) to replace certain elements of the current system taking place this month
Would this just be a change to the AF system or is it something with DL and/or SkyMiles?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Bry_guy
I just got off the phone with the Plat phone line. My AF flight had been booked awhile ago (Premium Class W) and I was just checking back with Delta for upgradeable seats and have had no luck.

The rep told me that she just saw an e-mail yesterday saying that Air France (AF) is no longer offering O class or upgradeable seats for SWU nor for miles for Delta with W class fares.

My guess is that because AF Premium class W tickets are cheaper (she priced out a M class and it was 2x as much as I had paid) AF doesn't want to honor it anymore.

I'd be interested if others can confirm this.

End of an "error."

FYI: I've posted this same message in the Air France upgrades thread but thought it warranted it's own thread. Moderator close if you think unnecessary.
Just tried, they wouldn't move me to delta and allow me to upgrade for anything. Basically said it's not their fault that Air France changed the policy, they can't do anything about it, tough luck.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would this just be a change to the AF system or is it something with DL and/or SkyMiles?
On the phone now and agent @ international desk confirms that AF has terminated the upgrade program, at least temporarily. Agent is now trying to see if they are any upgrade available on DL metal where she could transfer me. Fingers crossed...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by vgb2001
On the phone now and agent @ international desk confirms that AF has terminated the upgrade program, at least temporarily. Agent is now trying to see if they are any upgrade available on DL metal where she could transfer me. Fingers crossed...
How do you get to the international desk? Plat desk supervisor told me to give them an additional $1200, plus an SWU, or take a hike.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by teCh0010
How do you get to the international desk? Plat desk supervisor told me to give them an additional $1200, plus an SWU, or take a hike.
Begin the phone call with "I'm trying to make a chance to a complex international ticket involving a SWU. Can you please transfer me to the international manual reissue desk?"
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Begin the phone call with "I'm trying to make a chance to a complex international ticket involving a SWU. Can you please transfer me to the international manual reissue desk?"
well... international desk lady was very nice but she was not very straightforward with me.... She basically looked everywhere for upgrade availability on delta metal to take me to CDG and back... but then asked me for the fare difference between my W and the next M fare... $2000!
I told her i thought we were talking about a commercial gesture here to compensate the unannounced loss a platinum benefit but NOPE.

She did confirm again though that AF has blocked all upgrades from W to Affaires. She said their problem is that a W costs $1500 whereas on DL to upgrade, a YBM is required for >$2500 and AF was not happy about that...

Chances are that when they come back with upgrades possibility, it will be from an High End Premium economy fare only...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Hmmm

Originally Posted by vgb2001
She did confirm again though that AF has blocked all upgrades from W to Affaires. She said their problem is that a W costs $1500 whereas on DL to upgrade, a YBM is required for >$2500 and AF was not happy about that...

Hmmm....does anyone think maybe it's DL that is not happy about that? AF controls their fares, so my conspiracy mind thinks that maybe DL is losing more (from the YBM fares) than AF?

Last edited by FlyingDL4Fun; Sep 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
Hmmm....does anyone think maybe it's DL that is not happy about that? AF controls their fares, so my conspiracy mind thinks that maybe DL is losing more (from the YBM fares) than AF?
Actually, AF only sort of controls their fares. The TATL JV is metal neutral, and that includes Premium Economy (only available with AF and AZ). It just happens that DL only has one fare bucket for PV instead of the three that AF uses.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Another devaluation to the program, albeit rather silent. I was looking at upgradeable-with-miles W fares for early next year, guess not anymore.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:07 pm
mpp

I didn't think the SWU could become even more worthless.

I even tried to use one one a multi-segment international trip with a mix of fare classes including domestic segments in H class and I was not allowed to use them on those segments because they are part of an international itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.