Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
So this means no upgrades to Business Class on AF of any sort:

On Air France operated flight: Economy Y, B, and M class to Premium Voyageur class only on Transatlantic flights. Premium Voyageur W and S class to Business class only on transatlantic flights, except for 747 aircraft equipped flights.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ndex.jsp#delta

Of course the above was kind of dysfunctional - If you had a Y,B, or M fare you could upgrade to Premium class. If you bought the cheaper W ticket, you could upgrade to Business. I guess someone realized it was backwards.
W is not necessarily cheaper than M.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
W is not necessarily cheaper than M.
When is that the case? I have upgraded a few Ws that were $1.6K but most of my M are north of $3.5K.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, this stinks. Especially w/o any notice. I am glad all my upcoming flights are booked in S-class
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah I think this is going to be the final nail in the coffin for me to head over to American.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
The DL website language hasn't changed the text yet about S and W being upgradable to O.

If this sticks, I wonder if they will let people who selected SWUs select something else?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Thinking about switch to AA as well... Never thought I would ever say that...

I told The rep at international desk that Delta.com still cites upgrades from W as possible, therefore misleading customers. She said she'll send the info up so they can modify the language.

I also sent a complaint email to delta to indicate that no customers who had bought their flights ahead of the change should be penalized and that delta should compensate one way or another, at no cost for the customers, the damage. One way would be to force the system to rebook customers in M or plus fare and allow use of SWU or miles to upgrade. We know one can be booked in Y fare or even directly in F in case of irrops. Therefore, they should be able to do this easily...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I also sent a complaint email to delta to indicate that no customers who had bought their flights ahead of the change should be penalized and that delta should compensate one way or another, at no cost for the customers, the damage. One way would be to force the system to rebook customers in M or plus fare and allow use of SWU or miles to upgrade. We know one can be booked in Y fare or even directly in F in case of irrops. Therefore, they should be able to do this easily...
Doubt it. They're more likely to point you to this under bullet 18 on the certs:

Without limitation, Delta reserves the right to modify or eliminate the Systemwide Upgrade Certificate program or change the rules for certificate usage.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
OK, I'm really confused. Is this for new flight itineraries or is it retroactive? Are they going to rescind my already confirmed upgrade? I have a flight in about 10 days with just this situation.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:13 pm

Gee, the benefits for SkyTeam Elites look really weak now, eh?

Star Alliance is tempting... if only I didn't have fly United out of SFO.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Miniflyer
OK, I'm really confused. Is this for new flight itineraries or is it retroactive? Are they going to rescind my already confirmed upgrade? I have a flight in about 10 days with just this situation.
The rep on the phone told me she was not even sure that people with current O upgrades would see them honored by Air France. Since the memo was sent yesterday, it'd b intersting to see if upgrades are currently honored.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
The rep on the phone told me she was not even sure that people with current O upgrades would see them honored by Air France. Since the memo was sent yesterday, it'd b intersting to see if upgrades are currently honored.
I would be surprised if upgrades with already reissued tickets would not be honored. However, if your ticket has not yet been reissued, even though you were given the upgrade, I would worry. Perhaps it would be worth calling and trying to have the ticket reissued ASAP rather than waiting closer to your travel dates.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
I canceled my last AF itinerary a few months back after getting an incorrectly issued upgrade that shouldn't have been issued but was (by DL). DL acknowledged the mistake and waived the cancellation fee and I used another airline with a better price in J at that point. When I wrote to explain what happened, making clear I was just writing to explain what a mess it all was, not looking for compensation, they threw 15k miles my way, which I didn't want and will probably never use. I have used DL INTL only once since then (to LHR, which is a good DL route). I don't think DL owes me, I'm not mad. I just take some of my business elsewhere and as a consequence will likely only make Plat this year, which will make me less likely to fly solely DL domestically as I'll be less likely to get the UG. Many of us here will make similar decisions, which I'm sure DL knows and has decided is an acceptable thing.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Exclamation

Another stick in the eye. Come on, whoever thought this would last given all the discussion here was crazy. This was a huge DL loophole. To DL, the SWU is something they want to devalue. That is why they let it be used only as a priority tool on domestic flights where the same FC seat would have gone out for free anyway. And for this privilege they make you buy at least k.

Just stating the obvious. I wish DL would see greater value from those flying 75k+ per year. Giving us a better chance at getting the stuff that you give away for free in limited quantities to begin with is not really the basis of a competitive program now is it..
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
can still do -Hawaii UG but so hard to find UG inventory at time of booking ticket
And why pay for K+ if t or u available and don't know if UG inventory will ever open

And why are UG dtw-lax free but lax-Hawaii same distance and similar F cabin not
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I have not tried to book an upgrade on AF because I try to avoid CDG at all costs; however, I have had no luck with KLM either.

Booked M on DL flight number because agent said I would have a better chance going M to Z (KL requires B to go to Z). I have been watching expert flyer and sure enough, on KL Z will open when there is no O available. Then they schedule change the KLM flight and rebook me with a KL flight number into U which upgrades into O but not Z. I was tempted to change it back to the DL flight number based on what I was originally told but based on what I have seen on EF, the likelihood of a Z opening up on the DL flight number are about 0%, so my only hope is O opening up. Preparing for my 7 hour redeye in coach. The good news I easily snagged an EC seat (KL system recognized my STE status).

I burned a SWU for the second leg on DL but am reserved to being in Y on the first leg. Tired of dealing with it and worrying about it. Just hope the waitlist on DL clears on the way over otherwise I have an SWU expire and bought M just to get one leg in J.

I know I got slightly off topic but the moral of the story is there is no seamless here and the SWU are almost impossible to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.