Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Xeno
After seeing the latest posts, I decided to ask DL again about KL #1927 on 10/31. EF shows 08 and although DL sees the same inventory when they try to get the ug for me they get "sale denied". (This ticket started as an AF W/SWU but now everything is DL except KL in/out GVA.)
I'm having the same trouble with award tickets on KLM. O inventory exists. The agents can see it. But it comes back sale denied. What's weird is they can even grab it on a new itinerary, but when trying to change my existing one.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
To summarize: an itinerary ex-US on AF can be upgraded with FlyingBlue miles if O inventory is available, but cannot be upgraded with Skymiles as DL cannot "see" O inventory. Correct?
I've heard both recently, some with it working and some not. I should say most not.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, looks like thats it for SWU or mileage upgrades on AF/KL... and of course DL still markets it as a benefit. Not a peep from anyone in DL regarding this either.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
You do realize that Z is a revenue fare bucket for AF/KL, right? It's deeply discounted business, akin to S on DL-coded flights. You'll never be able to upgrade a DL-coded, KL-operated flight via SWU/miles without having the flight number changed to KL, and so if the SWU T&C allow upgrading to Z instead of O on KL for the most expensive buckets, then you'd have to have the flight number changed to KL and the bucket put over to the corresponding KL bucket. If you bought DL M, then you'll go to KL M or U, which will not upgrade to KL Z.

All my SWU upgrades on KL have been on DL M fare. One just went through yesterday, AMS-ZRH (up until AMS are on Dl metal). Flight number was changed from DL to KL as the upgrade went through and the ticket is showing O class. Same information and seat assignment on KL's website. Never had DL M fare KL operated flight upgraded into U. It has always been O for me.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Apparent success

Happened to see a quite cheap JFK-LHR via CDG for ~$1300 in Premium Economy (booked in W class through DL.com)

Expertflyer showed O availability so I bought ticket figuring if I couldn't get the outbound SWU to work I'd just refund ticket.

Short answer after 20 minutes on phone and reissue desk is that I got SWU applied on JFK-CDG...SWU now shows as exchanged, flight number changed to AF, and I can select/change business seats on AF.com.

I'll be the last to claim that this is fixed, but it seems to have worked. I'll report after I take the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
Short answer after 20 minutes on phone and reissue desk is that I got SWU applied on JFK-CDG...SWU now shows as exchanged, flight number changed to AF, and I can select/change business seats on AF.com.
Hopefully this "sticks" and you'll have no problem. I strongly recommend you recheck your itinerary on AF's website regularly for the first 36-48 hours.

In my experience, if AF doesn't like the upgrade or if the ticket was not reissued/not reissued properly, the leg is removed completely and needs to be built back in.

Good luck.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Almost 4 years since the last post in this thread.

Does this still work?

For instance, I'm looking at a $1600 W fare from SFO to CDG in mid/late June and return in early July.

How many DL SkyMiles would such an upgrade require?

On airfrance.com, it indicates 20k miles for Flying Blue members. I don't have any miles in FB but I could also transfer 20k MR from Amex.

Also have a lot of UR points too.

Are DL SM members no longer bothering to upgrade AF flights? One thing is their business product still haven't upgraded to lie flats.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by wco81
Almost 4 years since the last post in this thread.

Does this still work?

For instance, I'm looking at a $1600 W fare from SFO to CDG in mid/late June and return in early July.

How many DL SkyMiles would such an upgrade require?

On airfrance.com, it indicates 20k miles for Flying Blue members. I don't have any miles in FB but I could also transfer 20k MR from Amex.

Also have a lot of UR points too.

Are DL SM members no longer bothering to upgrade AF flights? One thing is their business product still haven't upgraded to lie flats.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23374947-post1009.html

I did this for a few years but perhaps the last time two years ago. I will certainly be looking to do this again in 2017 once I start buying tickets in January.

Yesterday I used GUCs to upgrade ORD-AMS-CPT RT and think the seats in the 744 and 772 will be okay since I could not get OP for DL's ATL-JNB RT.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23374947-post1009.html

I did this for a few years but perhaps the last time two years ago. I will certainly be looking to do this again in 2017 once I start buying tickets in January.
I haven't done this anymore either. I couldn't get any agent who understood what I was talking about to do this. I'd much rather have the AF BEST J product than DL's J. And that product is on many of the routes on which I travel, though I admit it's not technically guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.