Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would attempt to do what the previous poster in this thread asserted would work and ask AF to enter a FB number in one field and my DL elite number is a different field. I've obviously never tried this, but there are posts here stating that it will work.
How much does 32k flying blue miles cost? It seems that buying medium or high end S/W PV AF fare plus buying 32k FB miles would make the process rather not worth it, compared to a discount business fare... And definitely not comparable to buying DL low end W are and using 30k skymiles or 2 PU503
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
If you have a 006 DL-emited ticket with DL coded flights: Y, B and M are upgradable with Delta Skymiles or Flying Blue Miles. I'm not exactly sure if you'd upgrade from Economy to Premium Voyageur or Affaires (anyone?) Availability is different depending on what type of miles you want to use.

If you have a 057 AF-emited ticket with AF coded flights: W and S are upgradable from Premium Voyageur to Affaires. The seat allocation is better if you use Flying Blue Miles (it's 16,500 per segment and you can actually purchase the miles you need). I've never tried using SkyMiles to upgrade an AF-emited ticket so not sure you can make it happen (anyone?).

Generally speaking, you need the international reissuing desk to reissue the ticket and pull the miles of you're doing skymiles. Flying Blue, on the other hand, modifies your reservation to O class and emails you an upgrade voucher you show at the airport. In the mean time your ticket reissuing is pending, which I find kind of stressful.

Your chances to upgrade at the gate are close to zero with SkyMiles (they require you do it 24 hours prior the flight) but are descent with Flying Blue Miles if your fare is upgradable. They actually open some seat the day before the flight.
You do, but allocation for FlyingBlue members is usually pretty good and they keep opening seats as the day of the flight nears.

Also, you can totally pull the miles from a FlyingBlue account but still get the mileage credit on another SkyTeam FFP (like SkyMiles if that is where you wanna build status). They'll be a bit confused but you should insist and they'll do it because the debit for the upgrade and the credit for the mileage are totally different things.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Which previous post? What fields?
My post was basically a summary of this information.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

Also, you can totally pull the miles from a FlyingBlue account but still get the mileage credit on another SkyTeam FFP (like SkyMiles if that is where you wanna build status). They'll be a bit confused but you should insist and they'll do it because the debit for the upgrade and the credit for the mileage are totally different things.
Meaning, I could mileage credit my PV itinerary to my Skymiles account, but use the miles from a random FlyingBlue account (e.g. auntie kettlepot) to upgrade the itinerary?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
How much does 32k flying blue miles cost? It seems that buying medium or high end S/W PV AF fare plus buying 32k FB miles would make the process rather not worth it, compared to a discount business fare... And definitely not comparable to buying DL low end W are and using 30k skymiles or 2 PU503
I don't know how much FB charges to purchase miles or whether one could get some by transferring in from a credit card or hotel program, but I would assume an outright purchase would be about three to five cents per mile. Whether this would result in a TATL AF flight in business class for less than the cost of either purchasing biz on AF or buying M+ on DL and upgrading remains to be seen, but there have been reports of much better inventory for upgrades and awards being made available by AF for their own FB program. This system might also permit one to upgrade on AF flights on the same PNR beyond CDG. Also, if the higher AF PV fares book into A for DL domestic connections, this could be easier than trying to get G space or hoping to get a free upgrade into V at the window.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Meaning, I could mileage credit my PV itinerary to my Skymiles account, but use the miles from a random FlyingBlue account (e.g. auntie kettlepot) to upgrade the itinerary?
That too is possible.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have been informed by a friend that the issue has been fixed and W and S class on AF are again upgradeable to Affaires using SWUs or Delta miles. Air France is also standardizing the names of the products. Affaires will become Business Class, Premium Voyageur will become Premium Economy and Voyageur will become Economy. Good news

Sounds to me like DL and AF/KL just were having a little fight. I'd assume AF/KL are just getting sick of being walked over by DL for award redemption. Time and time again all you can find low level is AF/KL metal, so that probably annoyed them because it brings nothing to their FB members.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I have been informed by a friend that the issue has been fixed and W and S class on AF are again upgradeable to Affaires using SWUs or Delta miles. Air France is also standardizing the names of the products. Affaires will become Business Class, Premium Voyageur will become Premium Economy and Voyageur will become Economy. Good news

Sounds to me like DL and AF/KL just were having a little fight. I'd assume AF/KL are just getting sick of being walked over by DL for award redemption. Time and time again all you can find low level is AF/KL metal, so that probably annoyed them because it brings nothing to their FB members.
I'm sorry to hear of the name change. Somehow Affaires class sounds so much more romantic, or at least racy, than Business class.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL-PM, HH Diamond

I just tried this and got the same story as before- still not working.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:19 pm

Nothing changed for this guy. Flight is Friday, Classic award (50K) available on AF but no O showing on EF and no upgrade seen on DL side.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:29 pm

I don't know how much FB charges to purchase miles or whether one could get some by transferring in from a credit card or hotel program, but I would assume an outright purchase would be about three to five cents per mile. Whether this would result in a TATL AF flight in business class for less than the cost of either purchasing biz on AF or buying M+ on DL and upgrading remains to be seen, but there have been reports of much better inventory for upgrades and awards being made available by AF for their own FB program. This system might also permit one to upgrade on AF flights on the same PNR beyond CDG. Also, if the higher AF PV fares book into A for DL domestic connections, this could be easier than trying to get G space or hoping to get a free upgrade into V at the window.
There seem to be frequent bonuses to transfer from AMEX to Flying Blue. It's usually not favored due to high fees when booking award travel on AF/KL but perhaps a good value for upgrades.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:30 pm

False Alarm, still no upgrades

Just called the international reissue desk and AF still blocks upgrades from DL. Nothing has changed unfortunately :-(
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
Originally Posted by vgb2001
From AF.fr:
"Nombre de Miles-Prime: 28.000 + 5.600 Bonus = 714,00 EUR"
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:26 am

That is EXACTLY right. Auntie FlyingBlue upgrading Auntie SKymiles.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:33 am

Been there, done that:
- first, call FlyingBlue desk to make sure there is O inventory on your itinerary.
- buy S class ticket from Air France; you have to speak to an agent on the phone as there is no way to select S from the web site; you can argue it's not doable online and relatively easily have them wave the service fee; have the agent put your SkyMiles account in the reservation;
- once ticket is emitted, log in to AF.us with your PNR; most times the website would allow you to upgrade online;
- call back FlyingBlue and have them process the upgrade; the ticket won't be reissued right away but you'll receive your upgrade voucher with a different 057 ticket number; you'll have to pull 16,500 FB miles per segment.
- call back DL with the original 057 ticket to double check the SkyMiles number is still in there for mileage credit; sometimes FlyingBlue agents are zealous and would substitute it with your FlyingBlue number; triple check at the airport.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

That last part brings out a laugh. As AF-KL management have been content with gutting the value that their customers were getting from AF-KL FFP participation, it is sort of funny imagining AF-KL management "defending" AF-KL FFP members against DL when tearing down the value of the FFP is the AF-KL way.

DL and AF-KL are birds of the same customer-unfriendly feather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.