Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So any TATL AF segment is 16,500 miles to upgrade from PV S class into Affaires, but what does it cost for the upgrade (assuming it's needed) into European business class for flights within Europe beyond CDG, including flights to ATH, IST, and SVO as well as shorter EU flights?
See the chart: somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.
Not as good a deal especially knowing AF domestic european business class is a joke. The seat is the same as in economy with just a little more leg room; sometimes they would transform the middle seat into a tablette but that's pretty much all the extra you get, along with free Champagne and some food.
Not to mention that with a high fare class you might very well be seated in what they call "Premium", ie first rows of economy which offer the same extras as business class minus the food.
Oh! And the best part is they sometimes "expand" business class to those "premium" seats just by sliding the curtain one row further.

AF business class has been made fun of for decades: see competition's commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUWS7qCWTrA
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
AF business class has been made fun of for decades: see competition's commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUWS7qCWTrA
Like the part where the FA just rips the curtain over the poor-man's head
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Thanks much. So if I read this correctly, it's 32,500 RT (but 16,500 one way) between Europe and N America. And it's 52,000 RT from N America to SE Asia?

I ask because while S fares are not always reasonable, I have over a million non-DL Amex points.
If you read "32 500 / 16 500 /16 500 / 75 000" in the chart, it means:
- upgrade from Economy to Affaires/Business: 32,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Economy to Premium voyageur: 16,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Premium voyageur to Affaires/Business: 16,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Affaires to La Première: 75,000 FB miles per segment.

FYI, upgrade to La Première would (of course) only apply on select fare (D is the cheapest you'll find and discounted Affaire - Z - will not work) and you have to have Elite status with AF.

Sounds to me you found a great way to use those AmEx points...

Last edited by Cortina Airlines; Sep 19, 2012 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I remember that commercial! I needed it in April when I mentioned to AF VP of marketing (in the AF DO) that I felt embarrassed and cheated by their 'short haul' business class service to AMM and TLV. I actually asked him directly (and there is a video to prove it) "do you feel embarrassed?" That was the first note he heard in our session... and you know what? well worth it just to see his facial expression when fellow FT wanted to jump in.

Sorry for the side note. Back to the discussion on the 'no upgrades and misrepresentation on delta.com. For the record, delta.com still misrepresents SWU and does not report the problem.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
If you read "32 500 / 16 500 /16 500 / 75 000" in the chart, it means:
- upgrade from Economy to Business: 32,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Economy to Premium voyageur: 16,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Premium voyageur: 16,500 FB miles per segment
- upgrade from Affaires to La Première: 75,000 FB miles per segment.

FYI, upgrade to La Première would (of course) only apply on select fare (D is the cheapest you'll find and discounted Affaire - Z - will not work) and you have to have Elite status with AF.

Sounds to me you found a great way to use those AmEx points...
I don't completely follow. This is what it states below the chart:

**Cabine Economique à Cabine Affaires
Cabine Economique à Cabine Premium Economique ou Alizé
Cabine Alizé à Cabine Affaires
Cabine Affaires à Cabine La Première

I don't see Upgrade from Premium Voyaguer here...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DLroads
I remember that commercial! I needed it in April when I mentioned to AF VP of marketing (in the AF DO) that I felt embarrassed and cheated by their 'short haul' business class service to AMM and TLV. I actually asked him directly (and there is a video to prove it) "do you feel embarrassed?" That was the first note he heard in our session... and you know what? well worth it just to see his facial expression when fellow FT wanted to jump in.
But if you recall, they really didn't see any reason for changing the aircraft on these routes. I think BEY and CAI were also mentioned.

Actually come to think of it, those were the destinations with better aircraft...hey, I was jet lagged.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Sep 19, 2012 at 8:14 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I don't completely follow. This is what it states below the chart:

**Cabine Economique à Cabine Affaires
Cabine Economique à Cabine Premium Economique ou Alizé
Cabine Alizé à Cabine Affaires
Cabine Affaires à Cabine La Première

I don't see Upgrade from Premium Voyaguer here...
Alizé = Premium Voyageur (this is name they marketed it on when they started it on flights to the French Caribbean and La Réunion).
Starting October 28 of this year, they will rebrand it Premium Economy.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:10 am

Alizé = Premium Voyageur (this is name they marketed it on when they started it on flights to the French Caribbean and La Réunion).
Ah. I always thought Alize was just on COI flights.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:14 am
Suspended

I think the seats in the Alize cabin are different from those in the PV cabin.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I thought so too.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
A/ I think it would be possible to call SkyMiles and have them process the upgrade with SMiles, as long as there is O inventory on their end. But most of the time there is none as AF keeps those seats almost exclusively for Flying Blue customers.

B/ That's impossible; FB and SM are two different programs. Your best shot would be pushing American Express membership rewards points to your flying blue account.
A/ NO. AF has effectively ended any upgrades for skymiles members as of 09/13. That is the reason why the thread was started originally. So even in the miraculous possibility that O ex-US is available (basically only after June 2013), upgrades (miles or PU503) will not be allowed. That is until AF re-authorize them but as of yesterday night (my last conversation with international reissue desk), the 09/13 memo still applies.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Been there, done that:
- first, call FlyingBlue desk to make sure there is O inventory on your itinerary.
- buy S class ticket from Air France; you have to speak to an agent on the phone as there is no way to select S from the web site; you can argue it's not doable online and relatively easily have them wave the service fee; have the agent put your SkyMiles account in the reservation;
- once ticket is emitted, log in to AF.us with your PNR; most times the website would allow you to upgrade online;
- call back FlyingBlue and have them process the upgrade; the ticket won't be reissued right away but you'll receive your upgrade voucher with a different 057 ticket number; you'll have to pull 16,500 FB miles per segment.
- call back DL with the original 057 ticket to double check the SkyMiles number is still in there for mileage credit; sometimes FlyingBlue agents are zealous and would substitute it with your FlyingBlue number; triple check at the airport.
Why must you do the upgrade online yourself and call back? Can't you just call AF once, check upgrade availability, purchase the ticket, get the upgrade, and have the ticket reissued (or at least request that the email upgrade voucher or whatever be sent to you) all during one phone call?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Not anymore:
http://corporate.airfrance.com/filea.../AlizeFR01.pdf

Originally Posted by vgb2001
A/ NO. AF has effectively ended any upgrades for skymiles members as of 09/13. That is the reason why the thread was started originally. So even in the miraculous possibility that O ex-US is available (basically only after June 2013), upgrades (miles or PU503) will not be allowed. That is until AF re-authorize them but as of yesterday night (my last conversation with international reissue desk), the 09/13 memo still applies.
You're confused (or maybe I am). In my scenario, we're talking about a AF-emited ticket (ie 057 ticket) with AF coded flights. In my understanding, those can still by upgraded with SkyMiles. So, I still think what I said applies but it's true I haven't tried since last week.
I think I'm still in line with the thread as we're talking about DL customers trying to upgrade on AF metal.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why must you do the upgrade online yourself and call back? Can't you just call AF once, check upgrade availability, purchase the ticket, get the upgrade, and have the ticket reissued (or at least request that the email upgrade voucher or whatever be sent to you) all during one phone call?
You can't buy the ticket and upgrade it with the same agent.
Air France selling agents can't process upgrades and Flying Blue agents can't sell tickets. Best case scenario, the selling agent can transfer you to Flying Blue at the end of the first transaction.

Even if you do the upgrade online, I would still call to make sure the Delta number is still in there for mileage credit.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 19, 2012 at 9:24 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're confused (or maybe I am). In my scenario, we're talking about a AF-emited ticket (ie 057 ticket) with AF coded flights. In my understanding, those can still by upgraded with SkyMiles. So, I still think what I said applies but it's true I haven't tried since last week.
I think I'm still in line with the thread as we're talking about DL customers trying to upgrade on AF metal.
No, I thought we were talking about buying an AF ticket (AF flight number and AF ticket number for a flight operated by AF), then upgrading it with FB (AF/KLM) miles and then crediting the miles and MQMs especially to DL's FF program. This is a workaround that was proposed as a (temporary) fix to the problem of AF not making upgrade O inventory available to DL's FF program.

If DL could get the O inventory from AF, you could presumably still upgrade from the more expensive S fares, either through the special conditions that DL has for mileage upgrades on DL, AF, and KLM. You might even be able to use DL miles to upgrade using the SkyTeam upgrade program, but that is complicated due to AF selling PV as a separate cabin class, rather than just being special seats within coach that may carry a surcharge like EC on DL and KLM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Delta needs to update their website with this new change...I do not see it listed anywhere

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.