Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France (AF) ends upgradeable seats from Premium W

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
Been there, done that:
- first, call FlyingBlue desk to make sure there is O inventory on your itinerary.
- buy S class ticket from Air France; you have to speak to an agent on the phone as there is no way to select S from the web site; you can argue it's not doable online and relatively easily have them wave the service fee; have the agent put your SkyMiles account in the reservation;
- once ticket is emitted, log in to AF.us with your PNR; most times the website would allow you to upgrade online;
- call back FlyingBlue and have them process the upgrade; the ticket won't be reissued right away but you'll receive your upgrade voucher with a different 057 ticket number; you'll have to pull 16,500 FB miles per segment.
- call back DL with the original 057 ticket to double check the SkyMiles number is still in there for mileage credit; sometimes FlyingBlue agents are zealous and would substitute it with your FlyingBlue number; triple check at the airport.
Why, that's darn near Seamless.

I bet *A members wish that their alliance was this tightly integrated.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by answida
I just tried this and got the same story as before- still not working.
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Nothing changed for this guy. Flight is Friday, Classic award (50K) available on AF but no O showing on EF and no upgrade seen on DL side.
There are two matters at play here, at least if EF still isn't showing inventory. First is whether AF/KL will allow upgrades. Second is if they'll publish O inventory. It sounds like they will still be allowing upgrades, but the inventory problem has not yet been resolved.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
There are two matters at play here, at least if EF still isn't showing inventory. First is whether AF/KL will allow upgrades. Second is if they'll publish O inventory. It sounds like they will still be allowing upgrades, but the inventory problem has not yet been resolved.
There's O inventory (1 seat) on AF 7, JFK-CDG, on 6/17/13. This appears in EF and on delta.com, too. Would somebody care to book a suitable Premium Voyageur fare and try to confirm the upgrade to Business? (Just as a learning experience, of course.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's O inventory (1 seat) on AF 7, JFK-CDG, on 6/17/13. This appears in EF and on delta.com, too. Would somebody care to book a suitable Premium Voyageur fare and try to confirm the upgrade to Business? (Just as a learning experience, of course.
Successfully did that using Flying Blue miles. See my earlier post.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Yes. AF is playing a little game of hide and seek here. EF doesn't show the "real" O inventory. You basically have to call FlyingBlue to know if there are upgrade opportunity. If you insist, they will even tell you how many seats are left. I bet if you call them about AF007 on 06/17/2013, they'll tell you there are 9 O seats for their customers to grab...
And yes, this is a big part of the upgrade problem...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Successfully did that using Flying Blue miles. See my earlier post.
IMHO relatively few people in this forum would be interested in upgrading with Flying Blue miles. It's an upgrade with Delta miles that most people are seeking.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:39 am
Suspended

Been there, done that:
- first, call FlyingBlue desk to make sure there is O inventory on your itinerary.
- buy S class ticket from Air France; you have to speak to an agent on the phone as there is no way to select S from the web site; you can argue it's not doable online and relatively easily have them wave the service fee; have the agent put your SkyMiles account in the reservation;
- once ticket is emitted, log in to AF.us with your PNR; most times the website would allow you to upgrade online;
- call back FlyingBlue and have them process the upgrade; the ticket won't be reissued right away but you'll receive your upgrade voucher with a different 057 ticket number; you'll have to pull 16,500 FB miles per segment.
- call back DL with the original 057 ticket to double check the SkyMiles number is still in there for mileage credit; sometimes FlyingBlue agents are zealous and would substitute it with your FlyingBlue number; triple check at the airport.
Would it be possible to call the Skyteam desk and use Skymiles to process the upgrade? Or perhaps push Skymiles to FlyingBlue miles and then process the upgrade?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
A/ Would it be possible to call the Skyteam desk and use Skymiles to process the upgrade?
B/ Or perhaps push Skymiles to FlyingBlue miles and then process the upgrade?
A/ I think it would be possible to call SkyMiles and have them process the upgrade with SMiles, as long as there is O inventory on their end. But most of the time there is none as AF keeps those seats almost exclusively for Flying Blue customers.

B/ That's impossible; FB and SM are two different programs. Your best shot would be pushing American Express membership rewards points to your flying blue account.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
IMHO relatively few people in this forum would be interested in upgrading with Flying Blue miles. It's an upgrade with Delta miles that most people are seeking.
Well, using my DL miles to upgrade AF flights is what I've been unsuccessfully trying to do over the last 12 months. And I'm telling you, the only realistic way to upgrade on AF metal is to use FlyingBlue miles.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Been there, done that:
I never thought of doing this. S fares can at times be reasonable. When you say 16,500 per segment, is that any flight of any duration?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Would it be possible to call the Skyteam desk and use Skymiles to process the upgrade? Or perhaps push Skymiles to FlyingBlue miles and then process the upgrade?
If you mean the SkyTeam upgrade problem, this requires FULL fares. The upgrades are still processed by the FF program whose miles you are using, not any SkyTeam desk (which does not exist AFAIK).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I never thought of doing this. S fares can at times be reasonable. When you say 16,500 per segment, is that any flight of any duration?
Yes, did CDG-JFK//LAX-CDG (open jaw) for €1,900 this december (booked in July).
And yes: 16,500 for any segment between Europe and the US.
This chart might help:
http://www.airfrance.ch/CH/fr/local/...kyteam.htm#bc2
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, did CDG-JFK//LAX-CDG (open jaw) for €1,900.
This chart might help:
So any TATL AF segment is 16,500 miles to upgrade from PV S class into Affaires, but what does it cost for the upgrade (assuming it's needed) into European business class for flights within Europe beyond CDG, including flights to ATH, IST, and SVO as well as shorter EU flights?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:45 am
Suspended

B/ That's impossible; FB and SM are two different programs. Your best shot would be pushing American Express membership rewards points to your flying blue account.
Looks like there is a third option: exchange of miles via the CC forum.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Yes, did CDG-JFK//LAX-CDG (open jaw) for €1,900 this december (booked in July).
This chart might help:
Thanks much. So if I read this correctly, it's 32,500 RT (but 16,500 one way) between Europe and N America. And it's 52,000 RT from N America to SE Asia?

I ask because while S fares are not always reasonable, I have over a million non-DL Amex points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.