Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Deadtail
I don't know if that is altogether true, but as a UA GS, it compares well. If you want to talk devaluation, head on over to the UA board and click on a GS thread.
I'm not saying GS isn't being devalued, but rather talking about the difference between what GS represents and DM represents.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I suppose it's life's outlooks that has our perspectives different. Let me know how going through life hat in hand works out for you, because that completely describes your persona on flyertalk.
I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.

But, I do know how to use a dictionary:

"hat in hand" -- in an attitude of respectful humility <have to go hat in hand to apologize>

Obviously, I am not apologizing to, or about, anything.

I am certainly not going to apologize for believing that it is a low class act for a company to say "If you'll do X for us this year, we'll do Y for you next year" while, all along, they are laying the plans for doing much less than Y.

So, back to you inaptly (ineptly?) selected phrase... you are the only one doing any apologizing in this exchange, as you continue in your capacity as an apologist enabler for DL management.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
To be clear, I dispute the details discussed here. I completely agree there are some program adjustments coming.
Wait a second... I was defending your post in response to my post comparing this whole rumor thread to predicting if/when it will snow in ATL and whether or not it will be the end of the world as we know it if it does!

And for the record, I think we're past the "overhyped snow forecast" period and have fully moved into the "overhyped summer thunderstorm" period. Either way, it's probably keeping the weather channel in business!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
You read .....but not well

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

But, I do know how to use a dictionary:

"hat in hand" -- in an attitude of respectful humility <have to go hat in hand to apologize>
hat in hand also cap in hand

with an attitude of respect for someone powerful The Secretary of Defense must go to Congress, hat in hand, to get approval to close military bases.

Usage notes: said about someone who is hoping to get something they want

Etymology: based on the custom of men removing their hats to show respect, and on the idea that people beg (ask for money) by holding out a hat

See also: hand, hat
Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms Copyright © Cambridge University Press.

Sounds sort of like the 3G&G crowd around here
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
MR_MAMA... we have quite often been on opposite sides of issues in the past. Isn't interesting how adversity brings people together?
DO NOT be getting all mushy on me. Carry on....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Any other insiders feel like they can or should share any other internal information that Delta would deem confidential should heed this note... I've been seen company to company communications where the message has a word or two varied in each copy sent to the recipients. That way, if one of them leaked the confidential memo to the press, blogs, whatever.. They would know the source of the leak because a tiny variation in the words or sentence order would fingerprint the copy. Paraphrase from here on if the Customer Care training and emails roll out.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't know if that is altogether true, but as a UA GS, it compares well. If you want to talk devaluation, head on over to the UA board and click on a GS thread.
I'm not saying GS isn't being devalued, but rather talking about the difference between what GS represents and DM represents.
+1 EP was DL's GS, not DM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:26 pm

Chiming in for first time in a long time.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion and it is interesting to read those comments from folks who truly believe that this is all some haphazard rumor. I particularly enjoy those words that defend Delta from people who are happy with how Jeff Robertson & his team practically ignore this forum. It makes me reassess my opinions.

That said...I cannot understand how people are trusting the SM department and are living in denial, believing this epic change won't happen. It is coming. Besides being told from enough insiders, there are many others on this thread that would've easily convinced me. Plus, Delta's silence is all I need to know - not just on here, but other forums, blogs, USA Today, etc...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
DO NOT be getting all mushy on me. Carry on....
LOL ^
Old Mar 30, 2012, 8:46 pm

Any guesses as to what Delta might be tuning up tomorrow night?

From Delta.com:

SkyMiles Tune-up:
We will be performing routine maintenance on our SkyMiles systems overnight on Sunday, April 1, beginning at 3:30am EDT. This maintenance effort will last only for a couple of hours and during this time you may have intermittent difficulty logging in to access your account information and booking award travel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last Updated: March 30, 2012, 5pm EDT (-4 GMT)
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Friendly message from a moderator

I have just spent a considerable amount of time cleaning up this thread. I have deleted off-topic posts as well as posts which included ad hominem attacks.
The topic is Skymiles Change Rumor. I ask that if you wish to address this serious issue involving changes to Skymiles, than please do so. If you wish to engage in lighthearted banter, feel free to do so in the Delta Lounge Forum. Under no circumstances will ad hominem or any other type of personal attack be tolerated.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jdschwartz78

From Delta.com:

SkyMiles Tune-up:
We will be performing routine maintenance on our SkyMiles systems overnight on Sunday, April 1, beginning at 3:30am EDT. This maintenance effort will last only for a couple of hours and during this time you may have intermittent difficulty logging in to access your account information and booking award travel. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

They do this regularly lately. No reason to get alarmed, IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Maybe that update tonight finally fixes the KL/AF booking problems...and if it does result in the fruition of this rumor some it, I've already booked two award tickets for this summer.

Like others have said, if Delta turns this in to a revenue based program I will switch airlines over to American (flew them recently and enjoyed the service).
Really hope these rumors aren't true and I can stay with Delta without thinking of the possibilities of aspiratial awards on other airlines .
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Honestly, you all need to look at this objectively. SkyMiles is just a program that provides a discount to high volume customers. (Same as in any business). The discount comes in the form of miles, upgrades, priority treatment, etc. all of which have a monetary value.

Without a good discount program, customers (except the hub/route captives) will switch to other airlines that offer better discounts. The discount offered by DL is already tiny. The miles are virtually worthless (DL carries them on their books at 0.5 cents versus 1.5 cents at UA), the SWUs are worthless (you can easily compare them with the other choice benefits to figure out their value), and all the carriers have figured out that on domestic flights it's better to sell a few really expensive F seats and give away the rest.

I've always been amazed that DL has maintained as many customers as they have given how miserly the SM program is. (My personal theory is that they've somehow identified and targeted the stupid segment of the market.)

At this point, the remaining FF on DL have very little left to lose so it's hardly worth fretting.

We're likely to see increased benefits (discounts) for high revenue pax, but things can't change that much for everyone else. The miles and SWUs have very little value to start with, and DL will still have a bunch of unsold seats in domestic F that they have to give away to someone.

IMHO this thing is likely to backfire because a) corporate customers will balk at DL so blatantly linking benefits (for the pax) to revenue (paid by the employer), b) the monetization of miles will make it obvious to the rest of DL's FFs (despite their limited intelligence) how really paltry the SM benefits are, and c) the increased complexity will drive away business.

Just my two pesos.

Last edited by 5khours; Mar 31, 2012 at 4:26 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by jdschwartz78

From Delta.com:

SkyMiles Tune-up:

Probably time to change the oil in the hydraulic gonkulators. These units keep the Univacs at a constant operating temperature and also allow the IBM punch card readers to work more efficiently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.