Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smp9778
A substantive change that I WILL be making:

I am not using my Delta AmEx card until any program changes are announced. I have plenty of other credit cards which already provide more value (Chase for UA, AmEx for Starwood) and I don't need any more Skypesos (earn enough from flying), particularly if there is ANOTHER devaluation coming.
For how long? If nothing is announced for a year, does that mean you will wait a year to use that AmEx?

Personally, I have no opinion of if/when changes are coming or how they might affect me since we don't know what they are. If people want to burn miles, and it's a good time for them, then go for it. If they want to save up miles, or have no where to go, then don't use them.

But I think it's silly for people to get riled up about something that may or may not be happening.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
For how long? If nothing is announced for a year, does that mean you will wait a year to use that AmEx?

Personally, I have no opinion of if/when changes are coming or how they might affect me since we don't know what they are. If people want to burn miles, and it's a good time for them, then go for it. If they want to save up miles, or have no where to go, then don't use them.

But I think it's silly for people to get riled up about something that may or may not be happening.
+1^
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by 5khours
On the J seats, DL is getting better but still and until now a lot less flat bed in business than in UA. And if you were on AA or UA (unlike DL), you could use the instruments to UG into F.

What UA and AA and their alliance partners don't allow schedule changes on paid J? News to me.
I never said they didn't. I don't give much consideration to AA because One World is comparatively limited where I travel.

With Delta, KLM, and Air France in Europe it's easy to change a flight and find one that works. With Star it's usually fairly easy with Lufthansa, and get's progressively worse as you start ticking down through the smaller carriers.

China, no contest. Skyteam is leaps and bounds better than any other alliance.

I find Sky and Star about equal in Asia, but give Star the nod because of the nonstop to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, which is consistently great.

I'm really enjoying Deltas codeshare with V Australia. How does one get to Brisbane nonstop on Star?

Africa Skyteam better than Star.

Delta and Skyteam are underserved in South America, but it's rare that I travel there.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SomeGuy

I'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't consider "holding off" on something a riled up reaction. If I were thinking about signing up for an AmEx now I would DEFINITELY wait until we know more about the upcoming changes. Perhaps closing your account or burning the card would be unwarranted, but purchasing travel with a different card seems to be a perfectly reasonable response in the face of ambiguity.

I also mentioned all of this gossip to a colleague that received confirmation from several different sources within Delta that they knew a major overhaul is in the works, but they didn't know when it would be implemented or what it would entail.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Deadtail

Africa Skyteam better than Star.
Kenya airways is better than Ethiopian, Egyptair, and South African Airways? I'd say that Kenya barely stands up to Ethiopian alone.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by SamOF
Kenya airways is better than Ethiopian, Egyptair, and South African Airways? I'd say that Kenya barely stands up to Ethiopian alone.
Delta, KLM, and Air France are better than all three.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
@Deadtail

So it's the routes?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Delta, KLM, and Air France are better than all three.
I beg to differ.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I plan on making platinum for the first time this year, and will simply status match to United.

Delta does not like high revenue passengers like me. ?
So, which one are you, a 'first time platinum' or a 'high revenue passenger'?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by randidliyo
So, which one are you, a 'first time platinum' or a 'high revenue passenger'?
The two are not mutually exclusive. Some high revenue passengers on DL flights don't have DL elite status -- it doesn't take genius to figure how that does occur.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
A quantitative perspective on a revenue-based option

I totaled up the numbers last night.

Over $12,000 spent on DL last year, for the travel charged to my CC.

Over 80 segments, most but not all on 4-segment itineraries... meaning over 20 trips... about 2 per month, allowing for a few 2-segment trips.

(Would have been more if DL management would only realize that some people need to work the full day in Chicago before returning to the east coast in the evening... DL's loss and WN's and AA's gain).

So, around $600 per ticket. This makes sense, as there were only a handful of LUT fares.

The actual average ticket cost is higher though, since one of my frequent clients requires that their travel agent bill the air fare directly to the company.

This means that I would likely not receive credit for several thousand dollars more income that I provided DL, which was not charged to my CC.

Presumably (yes, it is a presumption), under a revenue-based qualification scheme, I could lose credit for up to 20% of the business I give DL.

I recognize that there are some who may pay for a single TPAC ticket what I pay in a year.

On the other hand, does DL management really see it is to their advantage to pi$$ off folks who are consistently providing $1200 per month revenue to the airline?

Perhaps more importantly to DL, my AMEX spend was comfortably above $60K for the year.

So what happens if FCM makes UGs a rarity, and Faith-Based Award Ticket Redemption makes award travel an even greater farce... and a lot of $1200 per month folks start choosing air carrier based more on price and convenience rather than FF program "benefits?"

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 2, 2012 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The two are not mutually exclusive. Some high revenue passengers on DL flights don't have DL elite status -- it doesn't take genius to figure how that does occur.
Exactly. I do a ton of overnight trips and many of the recent have been in Y and M classes of service. However, I am still just a lowly gold.

With that said, I have started "mileage running" and this is why I will make platinum this year on a "T" fare to IST and an upcoming "L" fare on Alitalia to FCO and IST again.

To me, despite the mileage runs, I should be a coveted passenger by Delta. However, they have pushed me too far. Since my American flights are pretty limited, I will make the switch to United unless they also devalue their program (and this is assuming Delta devalues their program).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Skymiles Change Rumor - Skyteam Alternatives?

Somewhere around page 102 of the 113+ page rumor thread, I got to wondering what our alternatives are if in fact DL really does introduce (i.e. impose without notice) a dramatic (further and official) devaluation of their Skymiles program.

Yes you can status match to a competing alliance, but what are the alternatives within Skyteam.
  • Is there a way to transfer 800K of Skypesos to another partner, effectively insulating them from any DL action?
  • For future travel, is there any advantage to using your KLM or Alaska loyalty numbers instead of a Skymiles number?
  • Even if DL blows up their loyalty model, they can't make ALL of their partners follow suit. There would be vast differences within SkyTeam that should present arbitrage opportunities to exploit the disconnects. No?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
http://executivetravelmagazine.com/b...troducesEfares

I think we are referenced here.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:51 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I totaled up the numbers last night.

$12,000
>80 segments (most but not all on 4-segment itineraries)
over 20 trips
about 2 per month, allowing for a few 2-segment trips...
Around $600 per ticket

I recognize that there are some who may pay for a single TPAC ticket what I pay in a year.
I think your last comment sums it up. I can't imagine you are a hugely profitable customer at $150/segment. Profitable, but I'd take the TPAC guy.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
On the other hand, does DL management really see it is to their advantage to pi$$ off folks who are consistently providing $1200 per month income to the airline?
$1200/month revenue, not income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.