Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I will repeat myself. You are 100% correct BUT

There is what is legal
and what is moral

Skymiles by definition reward Frequent Fliers. Any company who treats its ""better"" customers like that in the long run (I dont know 1 year, 5 years, 10 years) will not be successful. IMHO
Someday I will learn how to nest the quoted threads inside quoted threads...

Yes, DL management reserves the right to change SkyMiles any time they want... but, I still feel they would be placing themselves on thin ice by aggressively marketing a commodity (i.e., miles) if they have been planning to willfully devalue that commodity for a considerable period of time prior to marketing it.

My advice to anyone... buy a few miles so you can claim legitimate membership in the plaintiff class... then, bide your time.

GRALISTAIR... you make a very good and valid point. That is one good example of why, in some companies, the term "corporate ethics" has become an oxymoron.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcline414

But I still suspect that Delta could face enough of a battle (read legal fees) that they would rather settle. Whether they fight a class-action or other lawsuits or settle, they incur a cost. They have to balance this with the cost of implementing changes and the resulting savings.

And somewhere in that mix, though difficult to quantify, is the potential impact on lifetime customer value and loyalty retention...
I have never sued anyone. I have been sued in my role of an elected official on a public body.

I do provide expert witness support, but always on the side of the defendant.

So, I am not a particularly litigious person.

But, this is one situation where I would be glad to deposit my $2.87 settlement check and watch a few ambitious lawyers walk away with their $10 MM in legal fees.

Airline Contracts of Carriage are, in my non-lawyer opinion, contracts of adhesion. And, it is past time for them to be invalidated.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have never sued anyone. I have been sued in my role of an elected official on a public body.

I do provide expert witness support, but always on the side of the defendant.

So, I am not a particularly litigious person.

But, this is one situation where I would be glad to deposit my $2.87 settlement check and watch a few ambitious lawyers walk away with their $10 MM in legal fees.

Airline Contracts of Carriage are, in my non-lawyer opinion, contracts of adhesion. And, it is past time for them to be invalidated.
Just to play devil's advocate, what would replace COCs? As heavily slanted in favor of the airlines as they are, I can only imagine that anything replacing them would be more cumbersome, more difficult to enforce, and (though perhaps more fair) still somehow slanted in favor of the airlines.

It does make some sense that they are so heavily favoring to the airlines. Wouldn't we risk losing service and face more fees if the airlines were forced to bear more risk? They already face sales of a perishable inventory while dealing with acts of God (weather) and a great deal of uncertainty within a highly regulated industry with fierce intra-industry competition.

Somehow I feel like any push back on the COC would result in bad things for the general public.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Two words: Sky Rewards

https://corp.points.com/customizatio...tml/terms.html
T&C freudian slip?

Last edited by goodandclassy; Apr 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Two words: Sky Rewards

https://corp.points.com/customizatio...tml/terms.html
T&C freudian slip?
I think I posted elsewhere that my guess was SkyPoints
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
the skypoints have a better ring to them..
rewards... sounds like cash back, if you know what i mean /
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
the skypoints have a better ring to them..
rewards... sounds like cash back, if you know what i mean /
SkyPriority, SkyPoints, SkyP.....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SkyPriority, SkyPoints, SkyP.....
You know, this forum has already come up with a term that fits the SkyP... theme and sounds like money.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Yet everyone on here forgets that DL has the right to change or cancel the program at its discretion. It is in the terms and conditions for SkyMiles. EVERYONE who is a member agreed to that, yet nobody seems to remember.
Bubba, we haven't agreed on much in this thread, but I agree 100% here. Yes, as others have noted, DL markets a commodity with the SM they dispense either in exchange for flying or for purchase (the purchase part is what makes this a bit sticky, legally). However, the language in the SM agreement is clear as it could be. As far as that goes, DL could cancel the entire program without notice per the conditions of the contract.

Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society where anyone can sue anyone for anything at anytime. I'm sure some sue-happy lawyer out there would take a shot at DL over major major changes to the program, but in the end, other than some bad press, DL would prevail because of the clarity of the program rules which allow those changes at anytime and without prior notice.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I wouldn't, because I know that customers end up paying for all costs, including litigation. Class action suits are horribly wasteful, typically benefiting lawyers much more than the ostensible plaintiffs.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I will repeat myself. You are 100% correct BUT

There is what is legal
and what is moral

Skymiles by definition reward Frequent Fliers. Any company who treats its ""better"" customers like that in the long run (I dont know 1 year, 5 years, 10 years) will not be successful. IMHO
"better customers"? Would that not be those who spend more, and on higher margin items?

It is so funny to read this thread and see everybody duck and bob on this issue.

Really, it reads like coupon clippers getting pissed off that Krogers started giving discounts only on high margin name items that people overpay for.

A "better" customer is one who brings in more margin. Anybody who thinks otherwise is living in a dream.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcline414
Just to play devil's advocate, what would replace COCs? As heavily slanted in favor of the airlines as they are, I can only imagine that anything replacing them would be more cumbersome, more difficult to enforce, and (though perhaps more fair) still somehow slanted in favor of the airlines.

It does make some sense that they are so heavily favoring to the airlines. Wouldn't we risk losing service and face more fees if the airlines were forced to bear more risk? They already face sales of a perishable inventory while dealing with acts of God (weather) and a great deal of uncertainty within a highly regulated industry with fierce intra-industry competition.

Somehow I feel like any push back on the COC would result in bad things for the general public.
Please understand that I am not proposing to do away with COCs. All financial dealings between two parties need to be based upon a contract.

But, I do feel that there is ample opportunity to make the COCs so that they more equitably balance the interests of the passenger and the airline.

Right now the airlines, in effect, can say "Don't like our COC? Fly another airline. Of course, their COC is pretty much like ours. There is always Greyhound."

There is a palpable inequity when one side can dictate all the terms and the other side has no option but to accept them.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
A "better" customer is one who brings in more margin. Anybody who thinks otherwise is living in a dream.
No question that a 'better' customer is one who brings in more margin. However, the issue is that there are a finite number of these 'better' customers and it's a relative term. In a perfect world, DL and any other airline wants the pax who pays for full Y or J every time they fly and who flies DM-level mileage. The reality, is that there are very few of those people out there (and no I can't quantitate that but I've heard it said so many times at DL investor days that I believe it). Instead, the airlines MUST target the frequent traveller who is willing to display loyalty and then make their margin off of quantity of travel. Many of those passionately arguing their cause in this thread are the DL loyal who fly tons of miles each year. In the past, at investor days, this is the customer that DL expressly stated they wanted and whom they were attempting to reach. Sure, some bring in more margin than others and by that relative terminology are 'better' customers. However, when you start messing with the lifeblood of airline loyalty, i.e. FF programs, the loyal start evaluating what other options might be viable and this then may dilute the quantity that any individual airline needs to make a good margin off that flyer. This is what we are hearing in this thread over and over again.

As for me, got the e-mail from UA today that my status match request has been accepted. Booking my first UA flight for next week, LAX-ORD. Time to see how green the grass is on the other side!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by jsmith50
No question that a 'better' customer is one who brings in more margin. However, the issue is that there are a finite number of these 'better' customers and it's a relative term. In a perfect world, DL and any other airline wants the pax who pays for full Y or J every time they fly and who flies DM-level mileage. The reality, is that there are very few of those people out there (and no I can't quantitate that but I've heard it said so many times at DL investor days that I believe it). Instead, the airlines MUST target the frequent traveller who is willing to display loyalty and then make their margin off of quantity of travel. Many of those passionately arguing their cause in this thread are the DL loyal who fly tons of miles each year. In the past, at investor days, this is the customer that DL expressly stated they wanted and whom they were attempting to reach. Sure, some bring in more margin than others and by that relative terminology are 'better' customers. However, when you start messing with the lifeblood of airline loyalty, i.e. FF programs, the loyal start evaluating what other options might be viable and this then may dilute the quantity that any individual airline needs to make a good margin off that flyer. This is what we are hearing in this thread over and over again.

As for me, got the e-mail from UA today that my status match request has been accepted. Booking my first UA flight for next week, LAX-ORD. Time to see how green the grass is on the other side!
Please share your impressions, good, bad, or neutral. I just started my 1K challenge with UA/CO as well. Would very much like to hear recent opinions from other frequent flyers.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsmith50

Did UA give you a status match or a status challenge? To the 1K level? Or even to GS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.