Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by vxmike
I think the best strategy would be tickets to ST partner hubs where the add-ons would be possible. This leaves the region as the only decision that is fixed and not changable, so you just have to decide on Asia/Europe/Africa/Australia/etc.

If for any reason the change isn't possible or you change your mind I just redeposit into the new scheme and you're back at the same place if you'd never redeemed the miles in the first place.

Yup!

The best would be to get to CDG / AMS because you can get to Europe / Asia / Africa via AFKL/AZ/MH/KE/VN. .
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by N522US
[1]I may be crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there files a class-action/collusion lawsuit against the major airlines if they all move to a revenue-based frequent flier program system.

[2]And I wouldn't be terribly surprised if such a move by the carriers doesn't result in further federal government interference, perhaps even playing a role in eventual regulation by the government again.

Airlines are unfairly targeted I believe -- but sometimes they bring negative press and government oversight on themselves. Everyone seems to have a hand in a frequent flier program and massive, negative changes will only ignite more people and politicians.
[1] Unless they make decisions together they are not colluding. They are responding to market conditions. Retail stores offer to match competitors' prices all the time. They're not colluding, they're competing.

[2] You must have fallen asleep about 30 years ago and missed the whole "regulatory agencies have become absolutely toothless and are now in the pockets of the industries they are supposed to be regulating" thing.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I see skymilesinsider is back! I hope they post a response today???? At least acknowledge our concerns
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I see skymilesinsider is back! I hope they post a response today???? At least acknowledge our concerns
And if you think that will happen, I have a bridge to sell you...
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Should we start a sky pesos auction to see who gets the bridge?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Should we start a sky pesos auction to see who gets the bridge?
The recent Calatrava bridge in Dallas cost $182 million to build.
Oanda.com shows that $182 million US equals 2.318 trillion Mexican Pesos.
Seems the going price for the bridge auction should be 2,328,110,000 Delta Skymiles.
Anyone going to be bidding? I'm a few trillion miles short.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
oops look like I should have said billion rather than trillion. Sorry, I'm math impaired.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Chalk one up for the creativity of accounting.
It isn't creative accounting at all. In fact, it is quite conservative accounting. Think about it. When you buy a ticket and earn miles, you are actually buying two separate products - the flight itself + some future consideration. DL hasn't delivered the future consideration, so why would they recognize revenue for a product they haven't delivered? I'm pretty sure DL would rather recognize all the revenue immediately.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
The Great Delta Panic of 2012

Originally Posted by pbarnette
It isn't creative accounting at all. In fact, it is quite conservative accounting. Think about it. When you buy a ticket and earn miles, you are actually buying two separate products - the flight itself + some future consideration. DL hasn't delivered the future consideration, so why would they recognize revenue for a product they haven't delivered? I'm pretty sure DL would rather recognize all the revenue immediately.
So what would happen if a general world wide panic ensued if Delta announced that after Jan. 1, Sky Miles values will change and everyone holding Sky Miles dumped them this year? I'm talking financially here. What would it mean for FY2012 and for FY2013? It would seem to me that DL would have record profits this year.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
[1] Unless they make decisions together they are not colluding. They are responding to market conditions. Retail stores offer to match competitors' prices all the time. They're not colluding, they're competing.

[2] You must have fallen asleep about 30 years ago and missed the whole "regulatory agencies have become absolutely toothless and are now in the pockets of the industries they are supposed to be regulating" thing.
Regarding #2, that's completely inaccurate regarding the DOT. The FAA, probably. But ask any US airline about the DOT and what a pain in the a** they've become.

Speaking for many other industries and such, you're right!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
First, I want to acknowledge that some folks who have met SMI personally, and know him from his NWA days, say that he is a straight-up guy. I accept that.

However, that said, his brief visits here always remind me of this Dilbert cartoon:

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1994-09-07/
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
First, I want to acknowledge that some folks who have met SMI personally, and know him from his NWA days, say that he is a straight-up guy. I accept that.

However, that said, his brief visits here always remind me of this Dilbert cartoon:

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1994-09-07/
Hahaha... So true!

+1 ^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
If I had a dollar for every time this topic was viewed I wouldn't worry about my skymiles account.....
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Deemus7
To me, this is my biggest worry with these rumored changes. I am currently sitting on almost 400k, which I know pales in comparison to many, but still is a significant chunk when I can only manage one international vacation a year (if that) because of limited time off of work. Mrs. Deemus and I hit the 5 year mark next May and were planning on burning these miles on one last "hurrah" of a trip before kids. I was hoping to FINALLY apply what I've learned on FT for open-jaw, stopovers, partner travel, etc. to visit some fantastic places, maybe MRU, SEZ, and/or JNB.

Now, with these rumors, I am sweating bullets. DL does have an unfortunate track record, so what am I supposed to do? Part of me wants them to just come on and tell us already, whereas the other part is holding out hope that changes won't come until at least July so I can lock in some semblance of flights for our dream trip above.
Check out "around the world tickets". You might already be able to do that with what you have, or close to it.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
The recent Calatrava bridge in Dallas cost $182 million to build.
Oanda.com shows that $182 million US equals 2.318 trillion Mexican Pesos.
Seems the going price for the bridge auction should be 2,328,110,000 Delta Skymiles.
Anyone going to be bidding? I'm a few trillion miles short.
I still don't know why we need an $182 million dollar bridge to cross that creek they try to call a river.

But back on topic... SkyMiles is terrible! SkyMiles is great! (insert something here)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.