Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
There is nothing in the fare rules that DL would, like some OW airlines do (e.g. BA did with only one partner airline or BA + one partner airline only, JL for one partner airline only), price awards higher if you use multiple SkyTeam/partner airlines.

I think that this "bug" (yeah right, "unintentional") has replaced the earlier bigger "bug" (that was also likewise "unintentional"), which, IMO, is just as bad, as who (and why!) would ever want to redeem for only Delta flights? Sure, there may be a connection or two on DL, but the whole point of SkyMiles is to fly on SkyTeam and partner airlines and avoid Delta if possible (plus, that is also how the availability forces it, and Delta's limited network outside of US).

This is what agents have been telling as excuses for a long time in cases of misprice (that "it will be higher mileage if you fly airlines other than Delta"), and it would be a major devaluation if that actually becomes true, and DL starts charging more (though what is in the fare rules to support that??) if you fly other airlines, esp. multiple other airlines, as you often must for many SkyTeam routes, and even more so due to limited availability.

But, now I fear as DL got so much pushback (the "reaction" for their "action" against their customers) on the removing stopovers attempt, that they may instead try to force this thorugh: charging more for itinearies that have Delta + other airlines, or just other airlines.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do any other SkyTem carriers charge more for awards using SkyTeam partners? I wonder if this is allowed by SkyTeam rules. Recall that DL cannot offer IFC awards because DL has no IFC on their aircraft.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do any other SkyTem carriers charge more for awards using SkyTeam partners? I wonder if this is allowed by SkyTeam rules. Recall that DL cannot offer IFC awards because DL has no IFC on their aircraft.
I don't think that's the reason DL can't offer IFC awards. KL doesn't offer it, but FB members can redeem for IFC. Not sure which non-FB program other than DL doesn't have IFC to see what might be an option.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flightline
Today I put on hold a domestic award with a stopover on the return. It had priced at twice the correct mileage. I called the PM line and the agent contacted the rates and reissue desk. According to the agent, the reissue desk is aware of the issue and confirmed that IT IS indeed a computer error and that they were not aware of a pending policy change. The agent was told to ticket the outbound trip and the first part of the return (the part from the inbound origin to the stopover city) and then have the reissue desk add the last part from the stopover city to the destination. I didn't actually go through with it, though, since the trip may not happen.

On a separate note, for testing purposes, I was able to correctly price a domestic award with an open jaw.

What remains to be seen, however, is whether we'll again be able to book both an open jaw AND a stopover in the same domestic award. The rules don't permit it, and with programming changes being made, that capability may disappear altogether.
Glad you got the reissue desk, that is the secret. I can't tell you how many times DL agents have REFUSED to transfer me, and insist their pricing is the same.

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
This post has mich valuable information. The path taken here (book trip with stopover at higher rate, put on hold, call to get re-priced) is an excellant idea. One will need someone on the Delta end willing to tackle the job (and not all of us are PM) but it should make bookings possible. Maybe the huge time it ties up CSRs will bump Delta to get this fixed sooner.

Good also to hear DL say the issue is not a change in policy, though until someone from DL gets on FT to confirm, I'm going to treat this as a data point rather than gospel.
+1. Wasn't the award calendar an IT glitch too? And HH has called their prem room issue a glitch too, I tend to not believe it til I see it.

Originally Posted by florin
I agree; it seems that this is likely an IT issue rather than policy. Don't hold your breath for DL confirming this on FT though.
+1

Originally Posted by Josephmay
It is semi official that this has been fixed. The PointsGuy reports that the website is now pricing properly and there has been no change in policy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/delt...ooking-engine/

I'm so glad that this was a temporary false alarm.
Thank you DELTA IT for fixing this....
Glad to hear, but until I can book without double the fees myself I won't believe it.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Here is another data point showing stopovers are still permitted. It took some persistence.

Itinerary in Biz class (should be 120,000 miles)
SIN-ICN(KE)<stopover>-DTW-ATL-NRT-SIN

Agent 1 (Chisholm): "Computer prices at 190,000mi, but it should be 120,000. Stopovers are allowed and our computers have been mispricing. Let me put you on hold while we get this at the correct mileage"

^FANTASTIC^ Chisholm agent takes charge...but after 1h20m hold, call drops

Agent 2 (not-Chisholm): "OK hun, let me put you on hold while we work on this" <40min hold> "The price is 130,000mi"...noted in itinerary
Agent 3 (not-Chisholm): "The price is 130,000mi...but we will replace the KE flight with Delta flights through NRT for 120,000mi" I booked it.
Agent 4 (not-Chisholm): Transferred to Intl reissue desk, and after 30min hold the itinerary with KE flights is reissued at correct mileage.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I've checked and it is now pricing things properly indeed.

Best case scenario: it really was just a "bug." However, if so, then why the total lack of communication on it?
DL communicate? Is that a joke?

BUT, keep in mind that this did not happen by itself. This was happening with a lot of fare rule changes (that the agents could see, customers could not - at least for me any flights priced out online then gave "no fare rules available" error; now magically the fare rules show up online again), as multiple sources have corroborated.

That would make it more likely to be a quiet test (prior to [possibly] rolling out) of such massive fare rule changes.

Online static award fare rules doc (that has no realworld relevance), yes. BUT, the actual fare rules on the specific award itinearies then DID CHANGE and specifically stated NO STOPOVERS ALLOWED (that DL agents could only see internally, online it would always show no fare rules). That is what was triggering it to price accordingly.
Let's not forget, the RULES DID CHANGE. DL is not NO LONGER ALLOWING OJ AND SO on one itin. This is a change.

My issue is it changed, and there was NO announcement. Change the rules/T&C of the award program and no communication, that's the sleezy part.

It's all the SO/OJ gamer's fault.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't think that's the reason DL can't offer IFC awards. KL doesn't offer it, but FB members can redeem for IFC. Not sure which non-FB program other than DL doesn't have IFC to see what might be an option.
FB can redeem for IFC because AF does offer IFC. I think KE has IFC too.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Glad you got the reissue desk, that is the secret. I can't tell you how many times DL agents have REFUSED to transfer me, and insist their pricing is the same.

Didn't you get the memo from Delta (pun intended)? The "International Manual Reissue" group can no longer correct incorrect pricing. So yes, "their pricing is [indeed] the same." That is true. I spoke to IMR (was transferred to it every time upon asking no problem) more times than I care to remember during this recent fiasco, and more than one agent told me straight up that they can no longer correct the mis-pricing, that the ability to do so has been now taken away. In the end I found out that now there is a rigorous three-step approval and write-up process to get an authorization code to override incorrect computer pricing that they need to do (and only IMR agents can request it, others have no hope at all)... and I guess most of them just don't care for the customer and don't want to jump through the flaming hoops that Delta has put there for the to do their job, and/or I fear there may be some negative remarks made on their employee record each time they do that and help a customer, enforce the fare rules, but thus lose Delta potential fraudulently gained "revenue."
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Let's not forget, the RULES DID CHANGE. DL is not NO LONGER ALLOWING OJ AND SO on one itin. This is a change.

My issue is it changed, and there was NO announcement. Change the rules/T&C of the award program and no communication, that's the sleezy part.

It's all the SO/OJ gamer's fault.
I've already posted this, but let me say it again: The posted rules did not change. The posted rules have, for at least 18 months, said you get a stopover OR an open jaw. In fact, the situation hasn't changed at all, as I've just pulled up the following US-Europe award with a stopover and an open jaw.

I hope that DL doesn't start enforcing the rule as they've got it posted, but this is one time that we really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yes, it'd be a devaluation, but we'd been getting more than they were promising.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I agree with mtkeller - a SO and an OJ are still allowed. In fact, I tried to change just such a booking when the pricing errors started happening a couple of weeks ago. DL wanted double the miles. Then earlier this week I called and was able to make the change for no additional miles. Also, I just booked domestic award tickets for two friends today, both of which had both an OJ and a SO.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:14 pm

That is reassuring to see, so then earlier here the poster who was saying that DL was telling that to fly DL + KE is more miles and suggested to switch to all DL flights was just blowing smoke (as usual). As if it was indeed arbitrarily more miles for DL + another airline, or multiple other airlines, that'd be a huge devaluation.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yep, Aeroflot has two different mileage charts. One for SU flights, one for ST flights (mileage pricing is higher here).

Also there are some bad news in Aeroflot. Stopovers are not allowed anymore in award tickets. It's not Delta, but I really don't like this trend...
http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/en/bonus_news_item/13647
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I've already posted this, but let me say it again: The posted rules did not change. The posted rules have, for at least 18 months, said you get a stopover OR an open jaw. In fact, the situation hasn't changed at all, as I've just pulled up the following US-Europe award with a stopover and an open jaw.

I hope that DL doesn't start enforcing the rule as they've got it posted, but this is one time that we really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yes, it'd be a devaluation, but we'd been getting more than they were promising.
This booking avoids 3 feared changes: Stopovers not allowed, No stopover and open jaw on same itinerary, and no mixing of partners and Delta metal.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
That is reassuring to see, so then earlier here the poster who was saying that DL was telling that to fly DL + KE is more miles and suggested to switch to all DL flights was just blowing smoke (as usual). As if it was indeed arbitrarily more miles for DL + another airline, or multiple other airlines, that'd be a huge devaluation.
I still don't understand why the agent came to that conclusion about the itinerary. I was able to fix it the next day by switching around the flights and dl.om accepted a mix of DL, AF, and KL with an open jaw and stop over: JFK - AMS | CDG - FCO | BER - JFK.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Many
the poster who was saying that DL was telling that to fly DL + KE is more miles and suggested to switch to all DL flights was just blowing smoke (as usual).
The problem is that some itineraries continue to not price as open jaw - I gave a concrete example and that pricing continues. I got an agent yesterday on the phone who consulted her supervisor and collegues trying to get an open jaw to price as openjaw; her conclusion was there was no reason for it to not be valid other than her computer not accepting it and there was nothing she or her supervisor could do. A major frustration with DL is that even when agents see things price wrong and escalate, they cannot help us get the lower mileage price.

2) Open jaws refuse to price using open jaw award pricing in select markets.

Exhibit a)
Tue 07 Feb 2012 MEX-JFK-CDG-NSI all low level inventory
Thu 25 Apr 2012 NSI-CDG-MEX all low level inventory
Price in miles: 80,000
Proof: http://ScrnSht.com/onjcag

Exhibit b)
Tue 07 Feb 2012 MEX-JFK-CDG-NSI all low level inventory
Thu 25 Apr 2012 NSI-CDG-IAH all low level inventory
Price in miles: 115,000
Proof: http://ScrnSht.com/jvtmrw

Exhibit c)
Tue 07 Feb 2012 IAH-CDG-NSI all low level inventory
Thu 25 Apr 2012 NSI-CDG-IAH all low level inventory
Price in miles: 80,000 miles
Proof: http://ScrnSht.com/dzgovk

So MEX cannot be open jawed with IAH. SJO also will not price open jaw.
Replace MEX or SJO with YVR or SJU open jaw with IAH, and the open jaw prices correctly at 80,000 roundtrip.
WHY!!!

Last edited by crazyMRer; Dec 31, 2011 at 9:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.