Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
That's the same language that was in the rules a year ago (and likely farther back, but that's all I feel confident in claiming). There have been no changes to the published rules with regard to OJ and SO. Go back and search around here, and you'll see posters like fti and me telling people "Yes, DL says you get one or the other, but in reality, you get both." Neither practice nor the letter of the law have changed here.
Well I'll take yours and FTI's word for sure, but given the recent issues and rumors I'm more afraid about it not loading at the right level and getting lazy agents giving me the "it is what it is, there's nothing I can do" excuse.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: Many
More Delta Logic:
Low level business prices less than low level economy

Outbound ATL-SJO is included in outbound pricing if return is business class
http://ScrnSht.com/gkluju

Outbound ATL-SJO is charged an extra 35,000 miles if return is economy class
http://ScrnSht.com/fpfuaz

Outbound ATL-SJO is charged an extra 35,000 miles if return is economy class
http://ScrnSht.com/mysbnr
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:19 pm

1 hour 12 minutes on the phone with a VERY HELPFUL rep at the international reissue desk.

Got my awards I had on hold manually priced with the correct miles.

It helped I was able to specifically demonstrate what the system was doing wrong.

THANK YOU Delta for doing right by me today.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by crazyMRer
1 hour 12 minutes on the phone with a VERY HELPFUL rep at the international reissue desk.

Got my awards I had on hold manually priced with the correct miles.

It helped I was able to specifically demonstrate what the system was doing wrong.

THANK YOU Delta for doing right by me today.
Thank you Delta for a 72 minute call to do what the website should do automatically? If that's "doing right" by you, you set the bar pretty low.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Thank you Delta for a 72 minute call to do what the website should do automatically? If that's "doing right" by you, you set the bar pretty low.
One 72 minute call is much better than 10 calls amounting to well over 10 hours just to get one ticket to price right, and another 10 hours of searching using various third party resources and/or pay tools to find the availability before even calling, in order to spoon feed it to the Delta res agents. And, it can easily get as bad as that..

So, 72 minutes is not bad. For Delta. With any other airline, of course, in less than 7 minutes, even if can't be booked online, it'd be booked by phone.

Delta just really likes to eat away 10s if not many 100s of hours of its FFs valuable time each year, due to its abysmal, crumbling and falling apart reservations system.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Scary thread.

My favorites usage of DL miles are 35K trips to the Caribbean/Central America which typically cost well over $500+ cash. I do a free stopover in DTW at one end of the trip to/from the US west coast to add even more value.

I just priced a R/T DTW-SJO with a stopover in DTW continuing onto DEN. It prices correctly!!! I utilize these stopovers combined with free award changes to extract quite a bit of value out of 35K. It priced correctly on Delta.com on the first attempt. Think I'm going to book this ASAP!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
One 72 minute call is much better than 10 calls amounting to well over 10 hours just to get one ticket to price right, and another 10 hours of searching using various third party resources and/or pay tools to find the availability before even calling, in order to spoon feed it to the Delta res agents. And, it can easily get as bad as that..

So, 72 minutes is not bad. For Delta. With any other airline, of course, in less than 7 minutes, even if can't be booked online, it'd be booked by phone.

Delta just really likes to eat away 10s if not many 100s of hours of its FFs valuable time each year, due to its abysmal, crumbling and falling apart reservations system.
My comment arose because I am not going to compliment DL (or any company) just because they briefly stopped being wildly inefficient, and only wasted less of my time than they usually do.

I set the bar based on standard commercial transactions, here measured by how UA, AA and other airlines operate their programs, awards and websites. And measured that way, there are no thanks due Delta on this one.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by vxmike
I just priced a R/T DTW-SJO with a stopover in DTW continuing onto DEN. It prices correctly!!! I utilize these stopovers combined with free award changes to extract quite a bit of value out of 35K. It priced correctly on Delta.com on the first attempt. Think I'm going to book this ASAP!
So is this fixed for now? Can we now do open jaws and stopovers online without Delta's famous award ticket mileage multiplier taking over?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Agree but post goes to prove it's DL that sets the bar exceedingly low.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by GrizShel
So is this fixed for now? Can we now do open jaws and stopovers online without Delta's famous award ticket mileage multiplier taking over?
same question here. does anyone have any experience getting the award to price properly with partners via the phone?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by coiaflyer
same question here. does anyone have any experience getting the award to price properly with partners via the phone?
I don't think it is fixed but the problem is not universal; some itineraries work while others city pairs do not.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Currently having issues online still. This should be valid and prices correctly on individual segments.

3/12 dtw-sea-pdx-ogg (20K in low)

3/20 ogg-lax-dtw(stopover) in medium 32.5K

5/10 dtw-atl-lir(open jaw dest) in medium 32.5K

Should be 20K for the NA-Hawaii in low plus 32.5K for Hawaii-CA in medium with a stopover in DTW.

This should price as 52.5K but goes up to 80K+ when putting it all together. I'm dreading the phone call on this
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Currently having issues online still. This should be valid and prices correctly on individual segments.

Should be 20K for the NA-Hawaii in low plus 32.5K for Hawaii-CA in medium with a stopover in DTW.

This should price as 52.5K but goes up to 80K+ when putting it all together. I'm dreading the phone call on this
You have an open jaw and a stopover. You can not have both. Only one of the two, but never both. Just set your return back to DTW and it'll be fine. Or, fly out of LIR and also you'll be fine.

Or in other (Delta) words, open jaw counts as a stopover. So here now you have two stopovers. You only only have one.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

LIR is nearly 2,200 miles from DTW. To qualify as an open jaw, your unflown segment must be shorter than any other segments of your trip.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:11 pm

You have an open jaw and a stopover. You can not have both. Only one of the two, but never both. Just set your return back to DTW and it'll be fine. Or, fly out of LIR and also you'll be fine.

Or in other (Delta) words, open jaw counts as a stopover. So here now you have two stopovers. You only only have one.

This is NOT correct. You are allowed an open-jaw AND stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.