Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
OP here, just had a lengthy conversation with the PM line. I got a good rep who I could tell was very knowledgable, so I knew I had a chance to possibly get the answers we all seek here. I explained to the agent what was going on, she instantly knew of Flyertalk and knew Delta does keep a presence on the site. She immediately said that yes you are supposed to be able to have a stop over and/or open jaw on an award ticket. I had her try to price out a few I had put together that were available at low. DTW-SEA stop over SEA-HNL and then HNL-DTW, all available at low first class so it should be 75K, but priced out at 120K. Also had her try DTW-ATL stop over ATL-HNL and then OGG-DTW all available at low coach so it should price out at 40K, instead it priced out at 60K, she agreed on both accounts that these are valid routings, that stop over and open jaws are allowed, but that the computer will not do it and when she tries to force it, the computer errors out.

She said she would report it to her manager in hopes it would get reported to IT, we shall see. Anyways, a PM line rep confirmed that stop overs and open jaws are allowed on award tickets on valid published routes, however, the reps have no authority to override it and make it work. I guess I am glad I had whatever agent do whatever she did last week to make mine work.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Also, if the itinerary is all other airlines, I wonder if the same stopover doubling of miles occurs. Has anyone had issues with an all Air France itinerary for example?
Double "award" price in miles or not, DL may want to hit customers anyway. One way to do this would be to apply the "IOS" (or whatever it is to be called) when the trip in various parts beyond the US.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:17 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Air Brian
Does Delta not monitor this website anymore? Or, do they just ignore their customer's concerns?
They are ignoring their customers ---- they just don't care about us "ham sandwiches"

Originally Posted by RealHJ
The rules are worthless if DL doesn't follow them. @:-)
"Rules?!? There's no rules in a knife fight!"
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by coiaflyer
add me to the list of feeling totally irritated with this unannounced change. I tried to book a ticket from D.C. to mexico in business. The computer priced it out to 120k. The customer service supervisor said it was due to the aeromexico segments and that awards cost more when you use partner flights regardless if they are skyteam or not. This coming from a supervisor! She said she priced it manually and still could not get it to less than 100k. I eventually abandoned my trip to Mexico and planned something else instead.
And this was without any stopover or open-jaw?

So now for non-DL flights DL is going to charge an arbitrarily higher number of miles? Wow... it gets worse and worse.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by kss5555
She said she would report it to her manager in hopes it would get reported to IT, we shall see. Anyways, a PM line rep confirmed that stop overs and open jaws are allowed on award tickets on valid published routes, however, the reps have no authority to override it and make it work. I guess I am glad I had whatever agent do whatever she did last week to make mine work.
(bolding mine)

Ergo the real problem and what makes this so much worse and absolutely unworkable. It seems that around the same time as this change was made, DL also took away the ability from the remaining few agents to correct mispricing (which already before this happened from time to time, and now is pretty much the case almost always).
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
The real problem is that we have heard nothing from DELTA. They really need to communicate with their customers and let us know whats happening. If they have done away with Stops and OJs ... Fine Tell us and we will make our decisions based upon the new rules. That would be the honorable way of handling this.

or if its a Glitch tell us --we'll understand and wait for a fix.

BUT to make what appears to be a profound negative change in SkyMiles Valuation and to hear nothing from DELTA is Unacceptable Period. It reeks of cowardice and obfuscation. This is Definititely not "Best in Class" communication or treatment.

Last edited by Josephmay; Dec 24, 2011 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by Josephmay
or if its a Glitch tell us --we'll understand and wait for a fix.
... and wait and wait and wait ...

How many years did it take for them to post the award chart?

How many years ago did they admit that the award calendar was broken, and tell us they were working on it?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SkyBuck

How many years ago did they admit that the award calendar was broken, and tell us they were working on it?
My recollection is that in spring, 2009 there were a lot of posts complaining about the broken award chart, and Delta announced that they were working on it and we would see big changes that summer.

At this point, I have concluded that these guys either don't care or can't get the job done, and either way my wallet and I are going elsewhere.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: DL GM; AA; UA; BA
Originally Posted by kss5555
OP here, just had a lengthy conversation with the PM line. I got a good rep who I could tell was very knowledgable, so I knew I had a chance to possibly get the answers we all seek here. I explained to the agent what was going on, she instantly knew of Flyertalk and knew Delta does keep a presence on the site. She immediately said that yes you are supposed to be able to have a stop over and/or open jaw on an award ticket. I had her try to price out a few I had put together that were available at low. DTW-SEA stop over SEA-HNL and then HNL-DTW, all available at low first class so it should be 75K, but priced out at 120K. Also had her try DTW-ATL stop over ATL-HNL and then OGG-DTW all available at low coach so it should price out at 40K, instead it priced out at 60K, she agreed on both accounts that these are valid routings, that stop over and open jaws are allowed, but that the computer will not do it and when she tries to force it, the computer errors out.

The award ticket terms and conditions say this:

Open-jaw travel is permitted and counts as a stopover. Restrictions apply. For details, please contact a Delta representative.

One stopover is allowed per Award. Round-the-World Awards allow a maximum of three stopovers per continent, not to exceed 6.

I'm no veteran at this but I'm fairly certain that I used to be able to get a stop over AND an open jaw on the same award ticket, flying some partners, all at the low rate (60,000 international coach). So it looks like at this point they are saying you can do one or the other. Maybe changing that is what screwed up the award pricing? I am able to still find award tickets to Europe for open jaw at the low level, but don't seem to be able to add the stopover and still get the low award pricing.

Last edited by TMitch6542; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:19 am Reason: correction
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by TMitch6542
The award ticket terms and conditions say this:

Open-jaw travel is permitted and counts as a stopover. Restrictions apply. For details, please contact a Delta representative.

One stopover is allowed per Award. Round-the-World Awards allow a maximum of three stopovers per continent, not to exceed 6.

I'm no veteran at this but I'm fairly certain that I used to be able to get a stop over AND an open jaw on the same award ticket, flying some partners, all at the low rate (60,000 international coach). So it looks like at this point they are saying you can do one or the other. Maybe changing that is what screwed up the award pricing? I am able to still find award tickets to Europe for open jaw at the low level, but don't seem to be able to add the stopover and still get the low award pricing.
Published rules have not changed and have been like this for years. Just the actual pricing logic and the real (unpublished) rules how applied to pricing have changed, but not the written rules.

Open jaw still works (if no stopover, if at destination).

You can not now do stopover of any kind now, however (at least, not to auto price properly), no matter if open jaw or not.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by TMitch6542
I'm fairly certain that I used to be able to get a stop over AND an open jaw on the same award ticket, flying some partners, all at the low rate (60,000 international coach). So it looks like at this point they are saying you can do one or the other. I am able to still find award tickets to Europe for open jaw at the low level, but don't seem to be able to add the stopover and still get the low award pricing.
The stopover PLUS the open jaw worked for intra-Europe travel as part of a US-Europe award. Not sure if we ever got both outside of Europe. But Europe definitely yes.

As a side note, AA allows a stopover at a domestic gateway. So I redeemed this in biz-class & domestic first for 100k AA miles:

LAX-NRT-PUS (Korea destination on JL)
PUS-NRT-LAX (stopover, also JL)

then a month later,

LAX-ORD-DCA (continuation of the same trip, but on AA in first)

Last edited by Bowgie; Dec 25, 2011 at 11:08 am Reason: Mountain Trader's correction is noted and post fixed.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
My recollection is that in spring, 2009 there were a lot of posts complaining about the broken award chart, and Delta announced that they were working on it and we would see big changes that summer.

At this point, I have concluded that these guys either don't care or can't get the job done, and either way my wallet and I are going elsewhere.
And notice no mention of it from the DL side either?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
OJ still works domestically too, just stopovers add to price at the full roundtrip rate.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The stopover PLUS the open jaw worked for intra-Europe travel as part of a US-Europe award. Not sure if we ever got both outside of Europe. But Europe definitely yes.

As a side note, AA allows a stopover anywhere. So I redeemed this in biz-class & domestic first for 100k AA miles:

LAX-NRT-PUS (Korea destination on JL)
PUS-NRT-LAX (stopover, also JL)

then a month later,

LAX-ORD-DCA (continuation of the same trip, but on AA in first)
I've got Europe-Australia with an open jaw in Australia and a stopover in Europe that I'm flying the second part of today (just the final short intra-European bit will remain).
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I've got Europe-Australia with an open jaw in Australia and a stopover in Europe that I'm flying the second part of today (just the final short intra-European bit will remain).
Try booking that itinerary now..... Fail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.