Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online no longer does award stopovers properly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by flightline
Today I put on hold a domestic award with a stopover on the return. It had priced at twice the correct mileage. I called the PM line and the agent contacted the rates and reissue desk. According to the agent, the reissue desk is aware of the issue and confirmed that IT IS indeed a computer error and that they were not aware of a pending policy change. The agent was told to ticket the outbound trip and the first part of the return (the part from the inbound origin to the stopover city) and then have the reissue desk add the last part from the stopover city to the destination. I didn't actually go through with it, though, since the trip may not happen.

On a separate note, for testing purposes, I was able to correctly price a domestic award with an open jaw.

What remains to be seen, however, is whether we'll again be able to book both an open jaw AND a stopover in the same domestic award. The rules don't permit it, and with programming changes being made, that capability may disappear altogether.
This post has mich valuable information. The path taken here (book trip with stopover at higher rate, put on hold, call to get re-priced) is an excellant idea. One will need someone on the Delta end willing to tackle the job (and not all of us are PM) but it should make bookings possible. Maybe the huge time it ties up CSRs will bump Delta to get this fixed sooner.

Good also to hear DL say the issue is not a change in policy, though until someone from DL gets on FT to confirm, I'm going to treat this as a data point rather than gospel.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Good also to hear DL say the issue is not a change in policy, though until someone from DL gets on FT to confirm, I'm going to treat this as a data point rather than gospel.
I agree; it seems that this is likely an IT issue rather than policy. Don't hold your breath for DL confirming this on FT though.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by florin
I agree; it seems that this is likely an IT issue rather than policy. Don't hold your breath for DL confirming this on FT though.
I don't know how this kind of "error" could have been introduced if they did not have some kind of change to award rules in mind that affects stopovers. And if this is somehow a pure accident surely Delta would have found a way to make that known by now. Perhaps, like they did with the award change/ redeposit time limits (that ultimately ended up with the 72-hour mileage death penalty rule now in place), they are field testing changes to gauge the level and scope of negative responses from customers before deciding exactly what the permanent policy changes will be.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by GrizShel
...they are field testing changes to gauge the level and scope of negative responses from customers before deciding exactly what the permanent policy changes will be.
I don't doubt you're right.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
It's good I found this discussion..

I ran into this problem today trying to book a friend for TLV-SFO with a a stopover at JFK.
Can anyone confirm whether it is a policy change or a technical glitch?

Edited to add documentation:
The weird part is that it changes if I try booking one stoppover vs. 2. Also, if I try changing airports (even co-terminals) the flight price jumps to reflect additional domestic RT, though it is permitted. Even more 'interesting' flights that were available for the return under the original search (and there were four of them) became all N/A for the search with a different airport in the middle.
Oh, well... :|

Last edited by DLroads; Dec 28, 2011 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:17 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DLroads
Can anyone confirm whether it is a policy change or a technical glitch?
It doesn't take much reading - just a few posts above yours - to answer your question:

Originally Posted by florin
In other words, we really don't know.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
correctly priced online w/ stopover

I went back a couple of days and 20+ posts to see if others had been trying online and met with success. A DTW-MSP <stopover> SEA <destination> SEA-DTW that failed a week ago (confirming the OP's contention) priced properly as a 25K coach round-trip just now.

I won't declare the issue resolved with one itin but it may be worth resuming online multi-city searches.

Outbound Mon 16 Jan 2012 Delta 1797
8:35am DTW 9:47am MSP Nonstop 2 h 12 m Delta 1797

Return Tue 17 Jan 2012 Delta 2253
5:25pm MSP 7:15pm SEA Nonstop 3 h 50 m Delta 2253

Return Mon 23 Jan 2012 Delta 822
1:15pm SEA 8:32pm DTW Nonstop 4 h 17 m Delta 822

Award Tickets cannot be redeposited or changed within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time.

Total Miles required: 25,000

Total purchase price including Taxes/Fees (USD) : $ 7.50
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I don't know how this kind of "error" could have been introduced if they did not have some kind of change to award rules in mind that affects stopovers. And if this is somehow a pure accident surely Delta would have found a way to make that known by now. Perhaps, like they did with the award change/ redeposit time limits (that ultimately ended up with the 72-hour mileage death penalty rule now in place), they are field testing changes to gauge the level and scope of negative responses from customers before deciding exactly what the permanent policy changes will be.
My thoughts here exactly on all counts.

I think someone in IT was taking off for vacation over Christmas / New Years and finished their due-in-early-2012 project early, implemented it live (before the matching policy change), and took off.

Delta Rev Mgmnt is seeing the benefits this brings to them (customers redeem more miles for less flights) and is not going to have it rolled back temporarily, only to bring it back again.

In any professional environment, any such IT issue can be easily resolved and fixed in a matter of a few minutes by simply rolling back to the previous version of code that did not contain the bug. That is, if there is version control. And if this is indeed a bug. (Ask Delta phone reps, the more knowledgeable ones will tell you that yes, there is no policy change, but they will also mention that "this is how you and we usually first find out of policy changes" - and you can take that honest statement as you will..) And given the highly unprofessional shop Delta runs, who knows, may be there is no version control and a few minute task becomes a few week task.. (here now this is the best case scenario, if really this is not intentional...which is possible, and I sure am hoping for...but, I fear, it's not too likely the case)

Another theory is the last thing you say: before implementing this as policy, DL is quietly field testing it, seeing the flack and "pushback" they get on this before making it official. If customers are as easy of a pushover as they were on T-72, then it's just a matter of days (or weeks, at most) before this becomes official policy, IMO.

Last edited by RealHJ; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:24 am
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I went back a couple of days and 20+ posts to see if others had been trying online and met with success. A DTW-MSP <stopover> SEA <destination> SEA-DTW that failed a week ago (confirming the OP's contention) priced properly as a 25K coach round-trip just now.

I won't declare the issue resolved with one itin but it may be worth resuming online multi-city searches.

Outbound Mon 16 Jan 2012 Delta 1797
8:35am DTW 9:47am MSP Nonstop 2 h 12 m Delta 1797

Return Tue 17 Jan 2012 Delta 2253
5:25pm MSP 7:15pm SEA Nonstop 3 h 50 m Delta 2253

Return Mon 23 Jan 2012 Delta 822
1:15pm SEA 8:32pm DTW Nonstop 4 h 17 m Delta 822

Award Tickets cannot be redeposited or changed within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time.

Total Miles required: 25,000

Total purchase price including Taxes/Fees (USD) : $ 7.50
Confirmed. I am also once again seeing correctly priced stopovers, including with the exact same itineraries that I used to confirm mispricing previously. ^
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by javabytes
Confirmed. I am also once again seeing correctly priced stopovers, including with the exact same itineraries that I used to confirm mispricing previously. ^
That's reassuring. When I tried to price out some (xxx-NRT-yyy, yyy-NRT(stopover)-xxx), they fail and only can select first two legs but not the last one. (First verified with OW low availability for the dates used.)

Care to note what routing here worked for you? Is it only US domestic or also now int'l that works properly? (Apparently for routes via Japan on Delta now rules say NO STOPOVERS IN JAPAN... or so I was told, though the fare rules I see do not say that anymore. Perhaps that was the fare rules in place while this was not working, as apparently many, many fare rules changed during the last two weeks... and perhaps now it's reverted back to how it was before, pricing and fare rules wise. The only question is: for how long.)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Well, half problem solved

using multiple city search I was able to search and price with stoppover. So, one problem seems to be addressed (fully or in part). The open jaw one does not seem to be pricing correctly though. Any open jaw attempt (even co-terminals) results in a pricing of two award tickets
(i.e. TATL+US continental pricing).

Well, half solution is good start
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Care to note what routing here worked for you? Is it only US domestic or also now int'l that works properly?
My searches were domestic, round-trip with one stopover.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Just booked YUL-AMS four day stopover
AMS-BRU-stay four days
BRU-YUL

Two tickets
Business class
Air France and KLM
100,000 miles per ticket
Stopover glitch fixed
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Hooray!

has anyone tried swapping a segment of an already booked itinerary?

does it reprice crazy?

Last edited by aubreyfromwheaton; Dec 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL-KRYPTONIUM, DL-PM, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Silver, Hyatt Plat.
Whew!

It is semi official that this has been fixed. The PointsGuy reports that the website is now pricing properly and there has been no change in policy.

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/delt...ooking-engine/

I'm so glad that this was a temporary false alarm.
Thank you DELTA IT for fixing this....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.