Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Question for y'all, I think this is the place to ask. I'm sorry in advance if it's already been discussed, I've been swamped with school and haven't been on the forums in a few months.

Basically, it's about F fares. Lately, I've noticed that when I do searches for flights, all DL.com ever returns are P fares, for everything. Doesn't matter if it's 6 months away or two weeks away. I'm used to seeing lots of G fares and even the occasional A fare, but it's P across the board, every flight, every combination of connections, no matter where I look. What is up with that? Or is it just me?
Delta pricing at what they want and marking it as 'discounted first' to save on the MQMs they give out? No idea.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Got my first FCM offer in a while today, a week before the flight -- on a ticket booked on 7/27.
DCA-SNA-DCA booked in Q outbound and K return. Original ticket total $768.20.
FCM offer today is $633.25 each way.
Was booked into EC when originally booked so I'm satisfied, although I'm not expecting an upgrade on this one.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
Got my first FCM offer in a while today, a week before the flight -- on a ticket booked on 7/27.
DCA-SNA-DCA booked in Q outbound and K return. Original ticket total $768.20.
FCM offer today is $633.25 each way.
Was booked into EC when originally booked so I'm satisfied, although I'm not expecting an upgrade on this one.
Am I understanding correct.

You are in EC+ Round Trip from DC(Ronald Reagan) to Orange County(John Wayne) for 768 dollars. And got an offer for First Class for an extra 1200 dollars? Thus being almost 2000 dollars total? Can't you have booked FC originally through ATL or MSP for ~1K to start?

That seems steep!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Am I understanding correct.

You are in EC+ Round Trip from DC(Ronald Reagan) to Orange County(John Wayne) for 768 dollars. And got an offer for First Class for an extra 1200 dollars? Thus being almost 2000 dollars total? Can't you have booked FC originally through ATL or MSP for ~1K to start?

That seems steep!
I did a dummy booking for a RT next week.

Prices for FC range from $1500 to $2200.

Of course, coach fares at this point range from $1100 to $1700.

This is just DL trying to lure someone into paying the difference between the cost of the coach ticket they have and the current FC price.

This does serve to remind that, ultimately when VA Ave feels they have accustomed enough folks to paid FC, the lower cost "enticement" fares in FC will be gradually phased out.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I did a dummy booking for a RT next week.

Prices for FC range from $1500 to $2200.

Of course, coach fares at this point range from $1100 to $1700.

This is just DL trying to lure someone into paying the difference between the cost of the coach ticket they have and the current FC price.

This does serve to remind that, ultimately when VA Ave feels they have accustomed enough folks to paid FC, the lower cost "enticement" fares in FC will be gradually phased out.
Exactly -- as I recall I could have booked in FC when I originally bought the ticket for about $1500 or $1600. When I looked this morning after getting the UG "offer" I think the cheapest I found was about $1700. And booking onto basically the schedule I'm on was about $1900 to $2000 so the cost of my original ticket plus the FCM offer.
When FCM first started I was getting $100 or $150 offers on $600 and $700 originally priced tickets. And last December, VA sold me a PE to business class upgrade from BNE-LAX for about $US 900.
Just commenting that sometimes they are worth it and sometimes not -- in this case, for me, definitely not.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:00 pm

Gotcha. I just plugged in random Wed-Wed and it was 990 through Atlanta. Seems high for the route otherwise.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Is there a way to use an eCredit from a previously unused ticket to pay for a pre-OLCI FCM offer?

On DL.com I can only seem to find the usual CC/Paypal options.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by gooselee
Is there a way to use an eCredit from a previously unused ticket to pay for a pre-OLCI FCM offer?

On DL.com I can only seem to find the usual CC/Paypal options.
The only way I know is to call DL. That is what I had to do.

Thanks

hsn
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by hnewman
The only way I know is to call DL. That is what I had to do.

Thanks

hsn
Thanks. I'll give them a shout this evening.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
FCM offer for MSY-LAX-SEA one way on Oct 8: $1,450

I didn't bite.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Price has been between $70 and $200 for a oneway SDF-ORD coming up in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
FCM offer for MSY-LAX-SEA one way on Oct 8: $1,450

I didn't bite.
You can straight-up buy that route for 1430. If you are willing to take different routing, the price is as low as 513 from MSY-SEA in the front cabin.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
You can straight-up buy that route for 1430. If you are willing to take different routing, the price is as low as 513 from MSY-SEA in the front cabin.
No time flexibility on my part, so I have to take the particular flights I booked. I'm screwed if there's IRROP, but at least I can blame the airline so I won't look too bad to the in-laws.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:54 pm

Purchased AT-SFO-ATL W+ RT 458. Went to My Trips right after and it was 303 each way for F. Based on my flight times didn't make any sense to me. It's now 808 each way which is more than the route was originally.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
We buy a number of tickets in advance so I've been used to getting FCM offers with some of them good enough to buy.

Haven't had too many recently, but got one today on a trip next month going MCO-ATL-MSY roundtrip for only 996.

EACH WAY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.