Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by theorbo
Is it possible to book First in one direction, then MC/C+ on a multi-city itinerary via DL.com? I've been trying ATL-SEA // YVR-ATL and it won't give me the option to choose First outbound and then MC or C+ inbound.

If I choose First Class going it only shows First & First-Flex on the return but if I choose MC to SEA then I can choose from MC/C+/F on the return from YVR.

Any tricks I can use to book First, then MC on a multi-city itinerary on DL.com?
I've noticed the same thing. Probably have to book as 2 one way tickets.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I've noticed the same thing. Probably have to book as 2 one way tickets.
Ok, thanks for confirming that it isn't just me or the route. 2 one way tickets may be more $ than just booking F in both directions but I appreciate the suggestion.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it possible to book First in one direction, then MC/C+ on a multi-city itinerary via DL.com? I've been trying ATL-SEA // YVR-ATL and it won't give me the option to choose First outbound and then MC or C+ inbound.

If I choose First Class going it only shows First & First-Flex on the return but if I choose MC to SEA then I can choose from MC/C+/F on the return from YVR.

Any tricks I can use to book First, then MC on a multi-city itinerary on DL.com?
The system seems to ONLY work on DL.com is if you go Economy, Main Cabin or EC+ on the outbound and then can choose ANY cabin on the return. Including FC. If you choose FC on the outbound every time it only shows FC on return.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Got an FCM offer today on a 3 leg trip in Nov. DCA-DTW-SEA/SEA-SLC-PHX/PHX-ATL-DCA -- $1663 for all legs. Currently booked in V/L/U respectively for each leg, upgraded to C+ for the whole trip. The original ticket price is $679.
The FCM add on seems a bit steep to me although I'm expecting that at least half of the flights will no upgrade to FC.
Maybe if I was chasing MQMs or MQDs for status, but I'm already going to hit Diamond with no problems.

3 days later it is now $1797.50 for the whole trip, although this morning it was almost $1900.

Last edited by mot29; Oct 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
The system seems to ONLY work on DL.com is if you go Economy, Main Cabin or EC+ on the outbound and then can choose ANY cabin on the return. Including FC. If you choose FC on the outbound every time it only shows FC on return.
If you use Concur for work travel, you can also try under the Mixed Classes option. We can use that to book FC outbound and economy coming back, and it works fine.

Keith
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HornsKeith
If you use Concur for work travel, you can also try under the Mixed Classes option. We can use that to book FC outbound and economy coming back, and it works fine.

Keith
I'm on work travel most of the time but I'm a photographer. So I'm booking my own travel so don't have any known access to other booking options except online or the app.

Maybe I'm missing out

Although most of the times I book is coming home on red eye I'll look into FC on the way back. Or strategic bookings or routes with potential upgrades to a lie flat.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
ATL-DCA for tomorrow I've been seeing >$500 each way for the last few days. Now at checkin, it's $139 or 13,900 miles. I think I'll pass either way.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This has changed very recently, at least for RTs. You can now book a different cabin class for the return although the prices that show for the first leg assume that you'll pick the cheapest flight in the same cabin for the return. You see up to four columns when you search for flights in each direction.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
This was not true as of a couple days ago, for late October flights. Also BTW the RT mixed cabin class ticket seemed to be slightly cheaper than two one ways, although it looked to me like all of the relevant fares were combinable.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This was not true as of a couple days ago, for late October flights. Also BTW the RT mixed cabin class ticket seemed to be slightly cheaper than two one ways, although it looked to me like all of the relevant fares were combinable.
Haven't booked anything in ~2 weeks so certainly would be updated further.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:10 pm

Question

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wish that was the case for me but I'm not seeing it. As of today I am still unable to book an open-jaw / multi-city itinerary on DL.com where the outbound leg is in First and the return is in anything else. As was mentioned I am able to see multiple fare classes at the initial selection but once I choose First class for the first leg I am unable to see anything lower than First for the second leg.

One thing I've noticed is that for the return leg, instead of seeing only one FC fare I am presented with First & First - Flex.

Is there a phone # or chat/email where I could talk to someone to see if this is expected behavior? Or should I just call reservations and let them price a trip like this for me?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:36 pm

ATL-SLC-DFW and same day return was 699.XX each way since I booked last month. Dropped to 199 each way today and a LOT of open seats. With odd flying times I think I would jump on it at ~100 each way considering price paid was so low.

Otherwise assume I'd see some upgrades with the number of seats. Not one has changed since it was 699 at booking and now at 199.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Booked a DTW/LAX flight in December last month (U outbound X inbound). When I booked the difference was over $1,000 since only F was available. Looked tonight and it was only $158 difference RT. No brainer, I clicked on the button as soon as I saw that Even though I had a great C+ seat both ways, the SDC flexibility and bonus MQM's are worth it alone.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Saidoh
ATL-DCA for tomorrow I've been seeing >$500 each way for the last few days. Now at checkin, it's $139 or 13,900 miles. I think I'll pass either way.
DL is definitely selling seats on this route. I took a good FCM offer, so I didn't have to watch myself be in the middle of a 50 person upgrade list, with one seat remaining, on a Wednesday afternoon. I've literally been mid-list as a PM on a K fare before.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm booked on LGA-DCA-LGA next week and the App is offering me $158 to upgrade to FC....um no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.