Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
i've been using the companion tickets for both my wife and I for a few years now so I'm familiar with the rules.

I'm surprised to see the FCM offer though I and other on here have wondered why DL hasn't offered it to make more money. It may be a matter of semantics, but buying the "ticket" to FC is not the same as an upgrade to me. I can't get on an upgrade list for FC or C+ if I buy coach and I assume I can't call and get a price to move to FC. But if DL offers it for a "good" price I might certain purchase it and not think that I got an upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by bubbashow
2.....when a friend buys me a birthday gift, I'd feel like a complete ... telling him to put me in first.
happy b'day ... domestic F isn't altogether a bad way to celebrate
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
i've been using the companion tickets for both my wife and I for a few years now so I'm familiar with the rules.

I'm surprised to see the FCM offer though I and other on here have wondered why DL hasn't offered it to make more money. It may be a matter of semantics, but buying the "ticket" to FC is not the same as an upgrade to me. I can't get on an upgrade list for FC or C+ if I buy coach and I assume I can't call and get a price to move to FC. But if DL offers it for a "good" price I might certain purchase it and not think that I got an upgrade.
Yes and I guess I can see that if you have a reserve companion cert maybe delta thinks you could have used it for a FC ticket to start with so they will let you buy upto it from coach just not upgrade you.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Unless it was cheaper to buy the first class companion cert in the beginning vs buying the coach ticket and then upgrading to first. I understand now why it happened that way because it was a birthday gift for Bubba. Happy Bday Bubba.
DL's way of thanking Bubba for reminding every-one: WFBF

Many happy returns!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I've been getting an upgrade offer of $919 each way on a MSP-AMS-MSP itinerary towards the end of August; the current D1 fare for my dates (8/23-9/6) is $10,086. I decided to take the offer only for the outbound, overnight portion.

I started out with a $800 VDB credit and paid only $655 just ten days ago for the original ticket. So my out-of-pocket cost has come to $775, with the outbound in D1.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I've been getting an upgrade offer of $919 each way on a MSP-AMS-MSP itinerary towards the end of August; the current D1 fare for my dates (8/23-9/6) is $10,086. I decided to take the offer only for the outbound, overnight portion.

I started out with a $800 VDB credit and paid only $655 just ten days ago for the original ticket. So my out-of-pocket cost has come to $775, with the outbound in D1.
That's a great deal. I would have taken it for both segments.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by WWads
an especially great deal if it reissued in Z or P class of ticket.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
an especially great deal if it reissued in Z or P class of ticket.
I was really, really tempted to take the upgrade both ways, but I'm retired and fly on my own dime, usually two TATL and one TPAC trips a year, so I decided to save the $919 for my October LHR trip. My usual TATL extravagance is PE on VS!

This D1 upgrade, giving me the ability to sleep on the overnight flight, is truly wonderful, as I will start a 100-mile walk less than 48 hours after I arrive.

The upgrade is to Z, so I'll get the bonus MQMs.

I'm now hoping that the great karma so far on this ticket will extend to an oversold flight and OpUp on my return flight, the day after Labor Day,
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I was really, really tempted to take the upgrade both ways, but I'm retired and fly on my own dime, usually two TATL and one TPAC trips a year, so I decided to save the $919 for my October LHR trip. My usual TATL extravagance is PE on VS!

This D1 upgrade, giving me the ability to sleep on the overnight flight, is truly wonderful, as I will start a 100-mile walk less than 48 hours after I arrive.

The upgrade is to Z, so I'll get the bonus MQMs.

I'm now hoping that the great karma so far on this ticket will extend to an oversold flight and OpUp on my return flight, the day after Labor Day,
Crossing my fingers for you!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Crossing my fingers for you!
Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
ooops, please delete
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
$60 for ORD-ATL-SDF. I took it since I need to check a bag. It's an early morning flight out of ORD which made it an even easier decision.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
$107 for MSP-PHX rd trip. We bought up since its about 3 hrs.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm starting to move more business travel to DL from AA because I cannot deal with the awful AA Ops these days. I booked my weekly Chicago trip on Delta for next week. FCM offered via the App for $49 each way and took it.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta, Accor, Marriott
Traveling JFK --> LAX --> OGG | KOA --> SEA --> MSP --> ORD later this year. Offered and bought C+ upgrade for $66 for about 24 hours of total flight time on five segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.