Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I had a ~$400 Q fare on the SEA-JFK-DCA redeye last night -- a newly reconfigured 20F 757 and a CR9; the offer was $540 to upgrade at OLCI

the app showed two F seats on SEA-DTW-IAD (753/CR9) for sale at $551 (K was available for approx $380, and C+ for $577 -- absurd), but neither the GA nor a supervisor (on the phone; I never saw a redcoat) would book one of them for me as part of a VDB ... C+, yes, but not F ("there are 7 people waitlisted for those F seats -- probably some DMs -- and we can't bump any of them")

by the time I got my $500 voucher and migrated to the gate for DTW, the GIDS showed me as 2 of 8 for what actually turned out to be 3 seats
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
...by the time I got my $500 voucher and migrated to the gate for DTW, the GIDS showed me as 2 of 8 for what actually turned out to be 3 seats
So you got the $500 for a VDB *AND* a medallion upgrade at the gate on the new flight? Sounds pretty good to me. ^
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
bingo! I had been 5 of 12 for 2 on SEA-JFK; had a C+ window seat, so it wouldn't have been a problem if they didn't need me, but I have to say that I really prefer the old-style F seats in the 753 to the new slimline ones (esp on a redeye flight when all the window seats were occupied)
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:55 pm

SDC versus IRROPs options after FCM?

I came across the possibility to choose LAX-JFK-DC, and it was apparently a little more expensive than LAX-DTW-DC, or LAX-ATL-DC. I understand that as an FO you cannot touch SDC, but IRROPs seem to be able to access all other options. If the LAX-ATL-DC is booked in P, you have to call to SDC to get through JFK. Do IRROP handling app/webpage tries to match the P fare into I at least, or we still have to call in to get the JFK leg?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IROPS recovery (almost) always outprioritizes SDC

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
... I understand that as an FO you cannot touch SDC ...
as an FO you can indeed SDC front cabin (G/A/P/D/Z/I/J/F) bookings as long as there's an available front cabin seat on your desired flight(s); it will just cost you $50 ... it is always better to find the flights you want, call the Medallion line, and have the agent make the change -- online/app SDCs are often problematic because the reissue desk may have to get involved, esp when trying to get onto the JFK<-->LAX/SFO flights
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The new capability for booking coach one direction and FC the other is going to cause some FCM confusion.

In the good ol' days, if you selected an coach fare outbound, and proceeded to the page to select the return flights, the FC fare was the actual FC fare assuming that both the outbound and return legs were in FC.

Now, the FC fare on the return legs page appears to reflect the coach fare selected on the outbound leg with the addition of the FC fare on the return leg, if you were to select it.

So, the FC fare displayed is not reflective of the total cost for the out and back FCM buy-up. It reflects the cost of coach outbound and FC return.

That'll prompt a few confused calls to SMS.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The new capability for booking coach one direction and FC the other is going to cause some FCM confusion.

In the good ol' days, if you selected an coach fare outbound, and proceeded to the page to select the return flights, the FC fare was the actual FC fare assuming that both the outbound and return legs were in FC.

Now, the FC fare on the return legs page appears to reflect the coach fare selected on the outbound leg with the addition of the FC fare on the return leg, if you were to select it.

So, the FC fare displayed is not reflective of the total cost for the out and back FCM buy-up. It reflects the cost of coach outbound and FC return.

That'll prompt a few confused calls to SMS.
Maybe it will confuse those familiar with the old system, but it seems like the new approach is more intuitive in that when you select a particular cabin on the first segment, it doesn't change that segment to something else based on what you selected for the second segment.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Here's a new one. AMEX companion certificate fare DTW-SAN....steerage. Offered paid upgrade at check in $189. Took it. Friend bought the ticket...I wasn't even the procuring party on the transaction. I was able to purchase for both of us. I thought those were un-upgradable under any condition.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
Maybe it will confuse those familiar with the old system, but it seems like the new approach is more intuitive in that when you select a particular cabin on the first segment, it doesn't change that segment to something else based on what you selected for the second segment.
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the new functionality (at least, not this particular aspect of the website "enhancement" ).

Only suggesting that there is going to be a lot of consternation during the transition period.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Here's a new one. AMEX companion certificate fare DTW-SAN....steerage. Offered paid upgrade at check in $189. Took it. Friend bought the ticket...I wasn't even the procuring party on the transaction. I was able to purchase for both of us. I thought those were un-upgradable under any condition.
wow, that's a REALLY interesting development ... better hope DL IT doesn't kick you to the back when the GA scans your BP
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
wow, that's a REALLY interesting development ... better hope DL IT doesn't kick you to the back when the GA scans your BP
Since it was at check-in, I assume that was for one-way only, DL's happy to take $189 for a one-way upgrade even on a flight that long! Of course, that makes for two unhappy Medallions it would seem ...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: delta dm
No bonus mqms. Why didnt you just buy the FC Amex companion ticket? May have been cheaper.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dzflyer
No bonus mqms. Why didnt you just buy the FC Amex companion ticket? May have been cheaper.
Might have been the plat certificate which isn't usable in first class
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by United747
Might have been the plat certificate which isn't usable in first class
True....yet Bubba has a friend that doesnt have a reserve card and on top of that he gamed the system????
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dzflyer
True....yet Bubba has a friend that doesnt have a reserve card and on top of that he gamed the system????
Sounds spongy to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.