Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:07 am

Flying JFK->CHS in a few weeks and snagged the UG for $42.75 r/t. Normally only consider buying-up on longer flights but at this price I couldn't pass it up.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:05 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Just bit on MSN-DTW-LAS-DTW-MSN for $154 round trip the week of the AWS re:invent conference, immediately after purchase from my company's travel portal (Egencia). The difference between my booked itinerary (U outbound, X return) and First(P) for the same flights was $200 at booking. I got this primarily for the possible added flexibility of SDC although I'm happy to fly the flights booked if it works out that way.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: AS
Just got a $50 credit to upgrade from economy to first on an upcoming trip. The economy fare was a cheap one in a low fare class. Starting to really like this while FCM thing.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
$55 for CHA-ATL-DAY.

It's on the borderline of what I'm willing to pay for flights of that length, but I really need SDC for this one (and my chances of clearing ATL-DAY were slim anyway).

Hoping there's some weather so I can try to route into CVG instead. Normally I'm willing to pay a premium for CVG, but Y was $209 vs $400 for next Saturday.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 18, 2016 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
$55 for CHA-ATL-DAY.

It's on the borderline of what I'm willing to pay for flights of that length, but I really need SDC for this one ---
Not bad ^

-- and my chances of clearing ATL-DAY were slim anyway.
I rarely have a problem (my regular route) with that one especially at weekend - the Dayton airshow perhaps causing this?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Not bad ^

I rarely have a problem (my regular route) with that one especially at weekend - the Dayton airshow perhaps causing this?
The flight is for next Saturday (25th).

The ATL-DAY segment (12PM) is currently F2, so I'm assuming that DL blitzed FCM for that flight. The fact that I got that price with only three seats left makes me think that's the case.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight is for next Saturday (25th).

The ATL-DAY segment (12PM) is currently F2, so I'm assuming that DL blitzed FCM for that flight. The fact that I got that price with only three seats left makes me think that's the case.
OK that makes sense.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by kpbadger
Just bit on MSN-DTW-LAS-DTW-MSN for $154 round trip the week of the AWS re:invent conference, immediately after purchase from my company's travel portal (Egencia). The difference between my booked itinerary (U outbound, X return) and First(P) for the same flights was $200 at booking. I got this primarily for the possible added flexibility of SDC although I'm happy to fly the flights booked if it works out that way.
Thanks for pointing this out. I just bit on MSN-MSP-NYC for $38.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by JW6130
Dang...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^
^^ OMG Outstanding - I would pay that for Comfort+ if I had to.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
How is everyone seeing these FCM first class offers? I've never had it on my Delta flights.

I'm beginning to think of DL sees my AS FF# that I get exempted from any offers. But for my Mom who rarely flies once a year for holidays - without any FF# she always gets these.

I'm now a bit of a conspiracist theory here.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by JHIN
How is everyone seeing these FCM first class offers? I've never had it on my Delta flights.

I'm beginning to think of DL sees my AS FF# that I get exempted from any offers. But for my Mom who rarely flies once a year for holidays - without any FF# she always gets these.

I hadn't seen an FCM offer that wasn't simply paying the fare difference in a long time, until the $55 one yesterday.

I'd really love to know how DL decides who is to be graced with amazing offers, but that's probably a closely guarded secret buried in VA Ave.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by snowingairlines
Just got a $50 credit to upgrade from economy to first on an upcoming trip...
Please explain... what was the nature of this credit, and how was it offered?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JHIN

The best way I've found to get these offers is to call in and ask what it costs to upgrade. Sometimes it is ridiculous, but other times I get lucky.

When I buy my own tickets, then I get the offer on Delta.com.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best way I've found to get these offers is to call in and ask what it costs to upgrade. Sometimes it is ridiculous, but other times I get lucky.

When I buy my own tickets, then I get the offer on Delta.com.
I have never tried that - I always wait to see what DL.COM offers. I may try this - thanks for the tip even though it should have been obvious to me. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.