Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Finally!!! Got an FCM offer for my SJC-LAS flight this Saturday. I immediately grab it before someone beat me into it. USD835 one-way.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
A possible explanation is that you bought the final seat in a Y inventory bucket that was tied to a Y-UP fare. Say you bought a T fare, and the inventory was T1 when you purchased...depleting the T bucket would also take away the T-UP fare, meaning your FCM would get bumped up to the next available UP fare class (if there is another one for that city pair).

Without looking at the fare structure in EF, we don't know what the explanation is though.
That would explain the change in FCM pricing after purchase, but the F price went up between the flight selection and payment screens. If the Y-UP price was tied specifically to the fare I purchased, then the Y-UP price shouldn't change mid-transaction.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
Finally!!! Got an FCM offer for my SJC-LAS flight this Saturday. I immediately grab it before someone beat me into it. USD835 one-way.
I'm going to assume that's a typo. Otherwise, if FCM offers like that are accepted, we can all forget about future upgrades.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by slutide
Not that this is what happened to you, but I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I was watching the F buy up rate for a trip I was taking. It was hovering around $150 for a while and I was tempted to buy it. A schedule change came along and suddenly the $150 price is up to $900!! It seems that one of the legs changed flight numbers to one shared by an international flight. So apparently the FCM algorithm was now treating the buy up as a transatlantic Delta One buy up (I could tell because as it had previously said "Upgrade to First Class" it now said "Upgrade to Business".)

It's a pretty big flaw in the system and stopped me from paying Delta $150 to upgrade.
I have no doubt DL's systems take stuff like that into account, but as a counterpoint, I flew DFW-ATL yesterday on DL84, which continues on ATL-CDG. Seat map and FCM stuff also had the "Business" wording, but price remained relatively stable at a pretty reasonable $85. Of course, I didn't experience a schedule change, so perhaps DL's systems recognized that I was just a run-of-the-mill domestic passenger all along.

I didn't take the offer as I knew I wouldn't have a chance to get done with work early enough to SDC (which is my main reason for buying domestic FC in most cases). Got upgraded at the gate anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by udontknowme
I'm going to assume that's a typo. Otherwise, if FCM offers like that are accepted, we can all forget about future upgrades.
I think they meant to turn the sarcasm filter on for their post
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
One hopes. They did put in the effort to add a smilie, but not the we have available.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm flying DCA-ATL-BHM next Tuesday. I'm on a cheapie V fare southbound, X fare northbound (next Friday).

At the 5 pm window opening last night, Delta offered to upgrade me for the value price of $121.50 each way. Sometime in the middle of the night, I got the upgrade DCA-ATL (new 321, 20 F seats). At the 5 pm window, there were 12 F seats open; when I learned about the upgrade, the number was down to 10 (presumably, one other DM got upgraded).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Originally Posted by udontknowme
One hopes. They did put in the effort to add a smilie, but not the we have available.
(upside@:-)down)--far too steep even for SJU-LAS, even if JFK-LAX were part of the trip.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Booked MCO-ATL-MEM-ATL-MCO for Thanksgiving for $488 in Z and G. Both 757's have the new seat maps so it will be interesting to see if they change between now and the trip dates.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
I bet you got lucky in Vegas too
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
here's a twist ... the $170 FCM for DCA-SEA isn't out of line (unfortunately neither is the $200+ premium for the JFK-SEA flight on a new-config 20F 757), but interestingly the orange "lowest fare" flags are for the flights where C+ is priced below main cabin (H)
Attached Images  
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
End of the month trip STL>MSP>DEN was offering $90 buy-up each way when purchased last week. Today it's $66 each way......must be trying to hit some year end quota or something, never see offers this low. FC cabins are EMPTY, I think I'll hold out, but it IS tempting.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
End of the month trip STL>MSP>DEN was offering $90 buy-up each way when purchased last week. Today it's $66 each way......must be trying to hit some year end quota or something, never see offers this low. FC cabins are EMPTY, I think I'll hold out, but it IS tempting.
Careful waiting too long. I had that same low offer ATL-SAT and return and grabbed it. First 2 seats in FC.

Then it started to fill up, FAST! I assume a lot of people jump on the low offer PLUS business travelers will book at any point in time.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Careful waiting too long. I had that same low offer ATL-SAT and return and grabbed it. First 2 seats in FC.

Then it started to fill up, FAST! I assume a lot of people jump on the low offer PLUS business travelers will book at any point in time.
It's $137 today with the same amount of FC seats open.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl

SAT is one of those destinations where I do not trust complementary UGs.

Too many government travelers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.