Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: delta dm
Cle Msp Fsd 60 dollars to upgrade to first for 2 segments. I bit.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
So DL is now finally selling r/ts on DL.com where you can pick cabin class each direction. I ended up booking MSP-DEN r/t, with F out and Y back, for $270. The Y r/t was $210, and the F r/t was $385. So that priced the FCM at $60 out and $115 back (both MD90s, both pretty empty), and in between--though on that short a route, probably closer to $60--I guess is my tipping point.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by RaflW
So DL is now finally selling r/ts on DL.com where you can pick cabin class each direction.
Yeah, I noticed this on Saturday. It was so well done I thought it had been there for a while.

Turns out DL IT can make things work, when it's in their financial interest...
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
So DL is now finally selling r/ts on DL.com where you can pick cabin class each direction. I ended up booking MSP-DEN r/t, with F out and Y back, for $270. The Y r/t was $210, and the F r/t was $385. So that priced the FCM at $60 out and $115 back (both MD90s, both pretty empty), and in between--though on that short a route, probably closer to $60--I guess is my tipping point.
Originally Posted by bennos
Yeah, I noticed this on Saturday. It was so well done I thought it had been there for a while.

Turns out DL IT can make things work, when it's in their financial interest...
Be careful, though.

With the old system, you could select an outbound coach flight and, when you got to the page to select the return flight, the prices displayed were round trip coach and round trip FC. You could then make the decision whether the increment to FC was reasonable.

With the new system, after you select the outbound coach flight and move to the return flight page, the price displayed in the FC column is based upon the coach ticket price outbound plus FC return.

I've had an interesting conversation with the telephone agents when they could not find the fare that I misinterpreted as being a FC RT fare.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
It was interesting that for a long time you could choose Main Cabin or W+ outbound and then choose FC on inbound. Never the other way around. Guess they finally let you choose what you want. No reason to not allow someone to choose different cabins on each individual leg/flight.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I do have to admit that the system just worked for me this week.

Was looking at a coast-to-coast itinerary.

The upfare to FC RT was between $700 and $800, essentially doubling the coach fare.

There were no suitable flights outbound for which I could use an upgrade coupon.

Ended up with an outbound paid FC for about $165 over coach, and used a soon-to-expire coupon to upgrade the coach ticket on the way back.

Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
Got a $999 buy up offer at check in on my DTW to PEK flight last week.

Passed on it... should have taken it (even though it was more than my entire RT fare). Flight was brutal in C+; guy sitting next to me took up half my seat :-(

I'm just excited that I got an actual FCM offer for once... first one in over a year!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I saw that too, I took advantage of it for a RDU-MCI r/t. I do wish they'd figure out how to sell an F ticket where one flight flight is Y only though. I'm going RDU-CVG-MCI and it's operated with CR7/CRJ and DL does not offer a F fare on that routing.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CMK10
... I do wish they'd figure out how to sell an F ticket where one flight flight is Y only though. I'm going RDU-CVG-MCI and it's operated with CR7/CRJ and DL does not offer a F fare on that routing.
they've figured it out, they've just opted to price that market differently ... I've purchased several SEA-JFK-BWI/IAD trips in the past few years as mixed cabin (booked as -UP; A combined with some low-end coach)
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
they've figured it out, they've just opted to price that market differently ... I've purchased several SEA-JFK-BWI/IAD trips in the past few years as mixed cabin (booked as -UP; A combined with some low-end coach)
Interesting. I buy occasional routings via CVG and every time one flight is on a CRJ-200, they won't sell an F ticket, at least not online.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Interesting. I buy occasional routings via CVG and every time one flight is on a CRJ-200, they won't sell an F ticket, at least not online.
It's the same for my ORD-SDF and v.v. Some of the DTW routings won't book in F since some of the flights are on CR2s.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I think DL.com is doing something weird with those mixed WAS itineraries. I've booked them too, but they don't show up in Google flights or EF, and EF told me something like, married segment logic ought to apply but DL.com is ignoring it and making an itinerary out of it anyway (if that makes no sense it's my fault misconstructing what EF told me, I understand the concept of married segments only in vague terms )

I think that also explains the time it took ticketing support an hour (no exaggeration!) to force through an itinerary that the web site showed me but wouldn't let me purchase, as well as why in I usually only get the 50% MQM bonus on the TCON segment and not the East coast CRJ segment. (I believe jrl767 always fights to receive those extra 250 MQMs but I figure, I'm still net positive on MQM crediting errors, so, meh...)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
ATL-SAT-ATL in two weeks. Booked two months ago for my wife and infant in arms. Booked EC+Checked instantly and it was 180 per person each way. This was double what it cost to book first class at time if ticketing.

Checked two weeks ago and was 99 per person each way. Didn't bite.

Checked just now. 64RT per person. Jumped. Great deal at that point and first class is empty both flights. We are only two on outbound and coming home we are 2 of 4 people.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just checked on my flight from IAH-ATL and back for Christmas. Booked it for ~$205 in May or June and got an X fare, which is barely above Basic Economy E fares in the DL pecking order!

Today upgrade to F was $98 for the whole trip, down from ~$350 a few days ago. I couldn't whip out my credit card fast enough, and it upfared to P class. Time to switch in my AS number for 200% mileage credit. Thanks Delta!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:32 am

So DL is now finally selling r/ts on DL.com where you can pick cabin class each direction. I ended up booking MSP-DEN r/t, with F out and Y back, for $270.
Is it possible to book First in one direction, then MC/C+ on a multi-city itinerary via DL.com? I've been trying ATL-SEA // YVR-ATL and it won't give me the option to choose First outbound and then MC or C+ inbound.

If I choose First Class going it only shows First & First-Flex on the return but if I choose MC to SEA then I can choose from MC/C+/F on the return from YVR.

Any tricks I can use to book First, then MC on a multi-city itinerary on DL.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.