Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dzflyer
True....yet Bubba has a friend that doesnt have a reserve card and on top of that he gamed the system????
Wow, my apologies! I didn't even read who the OP was!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
True....yet Bubba ... gamed the system????
but, but, b... he just "accepted an offer that Delta made" ... whether it was their IT that made the offer in error is, of course, completely irrelevant

besides, 2x $189 is effectively "free" additional revenue to DL, on a seat that they basically gave away initially, so that's always good for the bottom line ... it's also very likely one less VDB to pay out
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I'm actually surprised by the volatility of the FCM offers. I have a SEA-DCA RT in a few days where the FCM offer has been as high as $1,500 and as low as $650, but has definitely been different every time I looked at the flight details online.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I get the impression that DL doesn't know what to do with the FCM monster it has created. Several flights I've been on this year have pushed with empty seats in FC, and simultaneously had absurd upgrade offers. I see offers that range from being absurdly low to absurdly high (with the high ones sometimes being more than fare difference).

Either DL wants it to be this way, or the algorithm they use is just as broken as the rest of their IT systems.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM
True....yet Bubba has a friend that doesnt have a reserve card and on top of that he gamed the system????
Friend has reserve card and is platinum. How did I game? Offer was at the bottom of the screen. I took it.....provided additional revenue to Dl that a medallion on a free upgrade would not have. Upgrade list was long...about 10 empties in coach.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Friend has reserve card and is platinum. How did I game? Offer was at the bottom of the screen. I took it.....provided additional revenue to Dl that a medallion on a free upgrade would not have. Upgrade list was long...about 10 empties in coach.
I could care less but what you did upgrading an amex companion cert from coach to first isnt allowed. Secondly if he had a reserve card you could have used the first class companion benefit and it may have been cheaper than purchasing the coach ticket and then upgrading. I just thought there was some irony there. I will use this trick next time I use my companion cert. Thanks for the data point. ^
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:34 pm

I could care less but what you did upgrading an amex companion cert from coach to first isnt allowed. Secondly if he had a reserve card you could have used the first class companion benefit and it may have been cheaper than purchasing the coach ticket and then upgrading. I just thought there was some irony there. I will use this trick next time I use my companion cert. Thanks for the data point. ^
1....clearly it is now allowed by some dl algorithm.

2.....when a friend buys me a birthday gift, I'd feel like a complete ... telling him to put me in first.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
'Allowed' and 'disregarded the T&Cs' are two separate issues here as the post indicates: the transaction was allowed. That said, I thought the Reserve companion pass was good for First as well as Economy? If you can book into Economy and then snag the upgrade, that's a pretty good deal.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I could care less but what you did upgrading an amex companion cert from coach to first isnt allowed.
That's not completely true. The terms of the certificate state: "Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades." That doesn't say anything about paid FCM offers.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I could care less but what you did upgrading an amex companion cert from coach to first isnt allowed.
It was allowed. It's not like Bubbashow wheedled it out of Delta.

Of course, it's against Delta's *published* terms and conditions for a Platinum Delta Amex card. I guess Delta can ignore terms and conditions when it's to their advantage. Probably would be better if Delta would just relax the terms to allow FCM and free medallion upgrades to Comfort Plus because it would be in their self-interest to allow it.

As much as I personally dislike FCM, it's at least intended to add to Delta's profit.

Companion pass upgrades to Comfort Plus just restores what us elites had before Delta started treating Comfort Plus as a separate cabin. Personally, I'm not buying it, but if some other fools think it's worth buying "pretend first-class", then Delta has truly managed to monitize the illusion of luxury.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 28, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
First problem is your friend using the Reserve cert for Y instead of J!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:07 pm

I actually just wish FCM happened for travel agent tickets. Sucks for a low level elite where the company buys the cheapest tickets through an OTA and I have to call in everytime to up fare.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Of course, it's against Delta's *published* terms and conditions for a Platinum Delta Amex card.
It doesn't seem to be.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
'Allowed' and 'disregarded the T&Cs' are two separate issues here as the post indicates: the transaction was allowed. That said, I thought the Reserve companion pass was good for First as well as Economy? If you can book into Economy and then snag the upgrade, that's a pretty good deal.
Unless it was cheaper to buy the first class companion cert in the beginning vs buying the coach ticket and then upgrading to first. I understand now why it happened that way because it was a birthday gift for Bubba. Happy Bday Bubba.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:45 pm

Unless it was cheaper to buy the first class companion cert in the beginning vs buying the coach ticket and then upgrading to first. I understand now why it happened that way because it was a birthday gift for Bubba. Happy Bday Bubba.
Thanks dz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.