Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by c_d
SWU's are not TATL-only but applicable "per-direction" (One-way upgrade as stated in DL's T&C) and should also apply to the intra-EU segment on the same booking.
Delta tells me otherwise, as do certain prior posts. May I respectfully ask how certain you are? And thanks to the earlier reply re lounge access.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by c_d
SWU's are not TATL-only but applicable "per-direction" (One-way upgrade as stated in DL's T&C) and should also apply to the intra-EU segment on the same booking.
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Delta tells me otherwise, as do certain prior posts. May I respectfully ask how certain you are? And thanks to the earlier reply re lounge access.
I cannot talk about flights on partner airlines, but I can assure you that SWUs and mileage upgrades are in one direction (assuming that there is available Z fare) on Delta.

From an e-mail that I received from a friend who is fairly high up at Delta concerning this question:

I went as far as discussing your itinerary with a Lead Agent (and someone that I have known for about 20 years) at our Global Ticketing Support desk about your routing, upgrade usage and the baggage questions. She firmly agreed with me that your Transatlantic upgrade redemption from Israel covers you all the way from TLV to LAS (your fare break point) and return using 2 D571s due to the way your fare on the ticket was constructed (I think you might have been overcharged on the previous trip). Regardless of the fact that you are making a stopover in each direction, this is permitted per the rule of the fare and within the guidelines of the fare application for award upgrades included here:

Upgrade Award Fare Application: If ticketed on a through fare and itinerary includes stopovers allowed per rule, apply one one-way award from origin to fare break point.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:37 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
A picture says more than words (I am that sure):

Old May 23, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by c_d

Thanks to all. I'll push back with the phone agents, I'm already having difficulty.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by c_d

Scratch that. T&Cs for SWUs clearly state only valid on US-CDG flights. I'm delighted that an error seems to have been made in your case, but I'm not going to push my luck.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I'm 3/3 on getting LHR-CDG or CDG-LHR upgraded with SWUs. Really, I'm 4/4 since I changed the AF sectors from YUL-CDG-LHR to LAX-CDG-LHR (DL from SAN to AF gateway). I didn't even ask to have the upgrades done on the short intra-European sectors. At least one of those upgrades was done by an agent who had to go look several things up in the SWU T&C. At least once, I specifically told the agent (to avoid some married segment issues that existed with O inventory) that I only cared about the TATL sector, but he went and checked for O on the short bit and did it for me.

If an agent said they wouldn't do it, I wouldn't push it. (Especially if you've asked a couple of times, your PNR might have been notated.) You could try calling up at some stage and claiming that the upgrades weren't available when you tried earlier, but if you suspect the PNR has been notated, don't bother. Mileage upgrade should apply through to destination if you want to push the issue on those two.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
I cannot talk about flights on partner airlines, but I can assure you that SWUs and mileage upgrades are in one direction (assuming that there is available Z fare) on Delta.

From an e-mail that I received from a friend who is fairly high up at Delta concerning this question:
Dovster, this quote was really helpful to me yesterday. (I remembered you posting it when you first did the upgrade.) I booked LHR-ATL(exactly 24 hours)-OMA(stop)-MSP-FAR in M (cheapest one-way available) all as one fare component. (Yay for ATL TPD making this fit the MPM!) The agent barely wanted to let me upgrade ATL-OMA because of the 24-hour layover, and then she was adamant that I couldn't upgrade OMA-MSP-FAR with the same instrument. I kept saying that it was all one fare component, so I could apply an SWU through to the end of the fare component. Eventually she called her helpdesk, which told her I was right. Managed to get the ticket reiussed while on the line, too, so everything is perfect now.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm 3/3 on getting LHR-CDG or CDG-LHR upgraded with SWUs. Really, I'm 4/4 since I changed the AF sectors from YUL-CDG-LHR to LAX-CDG-LHR (DL from SAN to AF gateway). I didn't even ask to have the upgrades done on the short intra-European sectors. At least one of those upgrades was done by an agent who had to go look several things up in the SWU T&C. At least once, I specifically told the agent (to avoid some married segment issues that existed with O inventory) that I only cared about the TATL sector, but he went and checked for O on the short bit and did it for me.

If an agent said they wouldn't do it, I wouldn't push it. (Especially if you've asked a couple of times, your PNR might have been notated.) You could try calling up at some stage and claiming that the upgrades weren't available when you tried earlier, but if you suspect the PNR has been notated, don't bother. Mileage upgrade should apply through to destination if you want to push the issue on those two.
That was my original thought, to push it on the mileage upgrades, but not the SWU upgrades. Sounds like it might be worth the effort. But of course, just getting the TATL upgrades reticketed took about as much time as my intra-Euro leg will take to actually fly. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from spending well over 16 hrs in pursuit of CX F awards, handily exceeding the actual caviar time of a typical JFKHKG segment.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I've had mixed results, sometimes I get O on intra European flights, sometimes I don't.

Seems the married segment issue is still lingering around. From a previous comment it would seem a direct transfer to international reissue desk is the way forward to solve this. Can anyone else confirm?

For anyone interested in trying the A380 this week when it comes here into LAX there is some great availability.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Dovster, this quote was really helpful to me yesterday. (I remembered you posting it when you first did the upgrade.) I booked LHR-ATL(exactly 24 hours)-OMA(stop)-MSP-FAR in M (cheapest one-way available) all as one fare component. (Yay for ATL TPD making this fit the MPM!) The agent barely wanted to let me upgrade ATL-OMA because of the 24-hour layover, and then she was adamant that I couldn't upgrade OMA-MSP-FAR with the same instrument. I kept saying that it was all one fare component, so I could apply an SWU through to the end of the fare component. Eventually she called her helpdesk, which told her I was right. Managed to get the ticket reiussed while on the line, too, so everything is perfect now.

That's what FT is all about -- sharing helpful information. I can't begin to tell you how much I have been helped by posts that others have made.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by brit44
I've had mixed results, sometimes I get O on intra European flights, sometimes I don't.

Seems the married segment issue is still lingering around. From a previous comment it would seem a direct transfer to international reissue desk is the way forward to solve this. Can anyone else confirm?
International manual reissue did for me in 15 minutes what several agents told me could not be done (each for their own unique reason). I'd start the SWU process with a frontline agent, but for any changes or if there are any issues, just ask for international manual reissue at the outset.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:31 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Scratch that. T&Cs for SWUs clearly state only valid on US-CDG flights. I'm delighted that an error seems to have been made in your case, but I'm not going to push my luck.
For me that statements is not "clear": "Valid on one way travel between US and Paris (CDG) operated by AirFrance equipped with Premium Voyageur cabin." For me it only sorts out their non-PV planes that do not have the separate cabin.

By the way, this is my flight BACK and additionally not my first SWU used. I have always been in O intra-EU of AF (not that it counts, its still Y seats).
Old May 23, 2012, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
This is not TATL, so I'm not sure what the rules are.

I have a TPAC coming up that will be on DL metal. I will also need to schedule HKG-AMS-PRG-AMS-HKG which will be on KLM metal (AMS-PRG-AMS possibly on Czech but I don't care about this short hop). I have two SWUs available. I'm willing to buy M fares on both and upgrade one itinerary with SWUs and one with miles. Which should I do for which itinerary or does it matter?

Any info appreciated.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by c_d
Technically DL rules say no. I've had some luck, sometimes not. YMMV. AF has a tendency to take them away, so watch your ticket.

If you can get DL to reissue all in J for you great. Keep in mind prem economy or even J intra-Europe on AF means nothing. Oh wait, prem economy means sit towards the front, J means no one in the middle seat. Same seat, same food.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Technically DL rules say no. I've had some luck, sometimes not. YMMV. AF has a tendency to take them away, so watch your ticket.

If you can get DL to reissue all in J for you great. Keep in mind prem economy or even J intra-Europe on AF means nothing. Oh wait, prem economy means sit towards the front, J means no one in the middle seat. Same seat, same food.
It's rather insulting to actual food to call what AF serves in J in Eurobiz "food". (At least what they offer on LHR-CDG or CDG-LHR.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.