Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2001, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades on Air France Metal

Some useful info on upgrading (or actually not upgrading) on Skyteam partners….

I was thrilled when DL finally code shared the two daily AF MIA - CDG flights as I visit Paris regularly and MIA is only 30 miles or so from my home in FLL. Imagine my disappointment when I tried to upgrade into BE on these flights – there appears to be no availability at all – for any day! Infact the agent who looked for me told me DL only buys two BE seats on one flight and one seat on the other. All seats are held for full fare passengers. Given the no-upgrade-on-the-day policy it’s unlikely there will be any chance of getting an upgrade on those flights.

I also asked the SMS agent if there was any chance of AF upgrading PMs “to-be-nice” (rather than for operational reasons) and he said both AF and South-African do not upgrade their elites except with purchased certificates (bought with miles.).

…. So for the DL loyal in South Florida, looks like we’re still going via ATL if we need BE upgrades …..
Old Apr 21, 2001, 2:53 am

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
No upgrade on AF is a real Skyteam concern.
Not knowing the number of available Delta seats on a codeshare flight is an another one.

But, and see my post under SKYTEAM, the real cocnern is that we now are no more suppose to buy our tickets to Air France or Delta.

According to their advertisement, AND the difference they make between AF, DELTA, and others (UNITED, and othere codeshared partners not part of the alliance), we could be able to buy to SKYTEAM.
But Skyteam DOES NOT EXIST. Sorry, that is my conclusion.
It does not exist for upgrades, it does not exist for common procedures (boarding, lounges,;..) and does not exist to buy a comon ticket from A to B. You habe to buy A to C to Delta and C to B to Air france.

Skyteam has to be invented. I welcome here all possible Delta and AF employees that would get to really good ideas on this thema.
Old Apr 21, 2001, 8:37 am

Little will change about SK***AM. It is an alliance in name only and is a cosmetic response to DL's failure to impelment a truly global alliance. Having been bested yet again by its competitors, the best DL could do is create this facade. As so many posts have explained, once you look behind it, there is no there, there.
Old May 18, 2002, 9:25 pm

Upgrade from Business to First on Air France?

What are the chances? How do I do it?
Old May 18, 2002, 9:30 pm
airpolo

bribe them

[This message has been edited by airpolo (edited 05-18-2002).]

Old May 18, 2002, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
It happened once to me, but I don't know the secret. I guess they just needed the business class seat for someone else.
Old May 19, 2002, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF personnel in France DO accept bribes, I know this for a FACT!
Old May 19, 2002, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Pan Am Clipper Club receptionists were legendary for being receptive to up-grading (with a VERY polite handshake), of course.
Old May 19, 2002, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
AF personnel in France DO accept bribes, I know this for a FACT!</font>
Tell us what the magic amount is, as I do not want to be the source of inflation. hahaha
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Air France U.S to Europe Business Class Upgrade Certificates.

Got these 4 (four) Air France Business Class Upgrade certificates at the New York Film Festival last fall. The Delta / Skyteam program does not work for my travel needs anymore, so these certs. are up for grabs.

These Certificates are Valid for one way L’Escape Affaires Business Class upgrade from a one-way unrestricted full Economy (Y) fare ticket on Air France operated transatlantic flights from U.S. to Paris, and on connecting Air France operated flights beyond Paris to Europe. Further terms and conditions apply (on reverse side of the certs).

Make upgrade reservations as early as 30 days prior to departure. Subject to availability of D class. Fare Basis Code: DYFIUP. Applicable Fare: Full Y fare. Depart by Aug 31, 2003; Return by Sep.15, 2003

E-mail me if you or someone you know can use some or all of them. Not looking for anything in return, but in case someone has lounge access passes for any airline (preferably CO or NW), and deem it to be a fair exchange for these Certificates, then I’d gladly accept those.

Pleasant flights to all!

[Cross-posted in Coupon Connection and Air France forums]

Edited to add:
As my FT email address isn't one that I check that often, it would be much better if you could post here when you send me your e-mail so I can go ahead and check.

[This message has been edited by knit-in (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:43 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
A very generous offer, knit-in!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
All gone. Thanks for your interest!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:57 am
JWM

Question Can You Upgrade Using Skymiles on an Air France Code Share?

I'm going to London in November (from LAX) and plan to upgrade using miles. Normally I go Delta metal through ATL or CVG to LGW. But there are two AF codeshares (connecting in CDG) from LAX, and it would be nice to do the long haul in one long haul. I recalled that Al'Italia doesn't (or at least when I last checked a year or so ago) allow upgrades using skymiles, so I thought I'd call and check. The agent I spoke to on the special members service line says yes, you can upgrade on AF metal, no problem, sir. But reading of the repeated distrust of phone agents on this forum, I thought I'd check with the gurus. So -- can you?

Last edited by JWM; Aug 27, 2004 at 10:58 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by JWM
I'm going to London in November (from LAX) and plan to upgrade using miles. Normally I go Delta metal through ATL or CVG to LGW. But there are two AF codeshares (connecting in CDG) from LAX, and it would be nice to do the long haul in one long haul. I recalled that Al'Italia doesn't (or at least when I last checked a year or so ago) allow upgrades using skymiles, so I thought I'd call and check. The agent I spoke to on the special members service line says yes, you can upgrade on AF metal, no problem, sir. But reading of the repeated distrust of phone agents on this forum, I thought I'd check with the gurus. So -- can you?

Yes you can; however, AF has 3 classes and DL only 2 on int. flights. I prefer DL B/E over AF biz. I have heard that AF is upgrading their biz class but I don't know the staus of it.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Yes you can; however, AF has 3 classes and DL only 2 on int. flights. I prefer DL B/E over AF biz. I have heard that AF is upgrading their biz class but I don't know the staus of it.
If you booked your ticket through DL you'll have no problem upgrading to biz on the AF flight LAX-CDG, as long as standard upgrade space is available and your ticket is Y/B/M. As USCGamecock said, AF biz isn't as great - get a bulkhead or else the lack in pitch (45-50"-ish i think) will have you wedged in.

If you booked through AF, Y or K fares only. The new biz class is as of yet only available to EWR and PHL, and will be on one JFK rt as of Sept 27th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.