Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Yes, I've decided never to take the AF bet again. My EF alerts have shown no Os for the 3 alerts I set.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
Originally Posted by vgb2001
And this is something new too. For the last 2 years or more, i have been buying W and upgrading to O 100% of the time. At least, O would open 24hrs before departure. Now, I see plenty of C but no O, even on the day of departure despite J9 and plenty of empty seats! I wonder if it has to do with AF's bad numbers these days... Well, still hope it will change and O will open for my flights late september...
Do you think there's a better chance for upgrade from W to O if it's a W purchased from AF vs Delta? Or do you think once the reissue desk re-codes the DL-purchased-W as an AF flight, it works the same way? (making an assumption: that one can get the skyteam reissue desk to re-issue the DL-W booking as an AF ticket even if there's no O inventory...i.e., just in case...or do they need to see available O in order to reissue?)
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
This thread is mostly about upgrading to business, but what about upgrading to premium voyageur from plain voyageur? I just booked a TATL for November on DL.com, and one leg is ATL-CDG on AF Metal, a 772. I wouldn't mind paying or using miles, as long as it's reasonable. Is there anything specific I should ask the DL agent when calling?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
Do you think there's a better chance for upgrade from W to O if it's a W purchased from AF vs Delta? Or do you think once the reissue desk re-codes the DL-purchased-W as an AF flight, it works the same way? (making an assumption: that one can get the skyteam reissue desk to re-issue the DL-W booking as an AF ticket even if there's no O inventory...i.e., just in case...or do they need to see available O in order to reissue?)
If upgrading with DL instruments (SWUs or miles), it doesn't matter what the flight number was originally booked as. The only thing that could give more inventory is if you were using FB miles instead of DL instruments, as sometimes FB uses point of sale restrictions in a way that prevents those using DL instruments from upgrading/redeeming.

Originally Posted by bsagator
This thread is mostly about upgrading to business, but what about upgrading to premium voyageur from plain voyageur? I just booked a TATL for November on DL.com, and one leg is ATL-CDG on AF Metal, a 772. I wouldn't mind paying or using miles, as long as it's reasonable. Is there anything specific I should ask the DL agent when calling?
The fares that you'd need to purchase to upgrade from economy to PV are more expensive than just buying PV, as the last time I looked, it was YBM required.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
As indicated, O is O and it will not make a difference whether you have a DL coded or an AF coded flight. If you are Flying Blue Elite, you have access to C for redemption using Flying Blue miles but that does not apply to PV to Affaires upgrades.
Re-coding your DL coded codeshare flight to the original AF coded flight does impact mileage earning on Skymiles though: from 50% bonus MQM and miles down to 50% bonus MQM and 25% bonus miles. So even if possible, I would not ask to re-code my flight from DL to AF if the upgrade to O is not available.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:43 pm

As indicated, O is O and it will not make a difference whether you have a DL coded or an AF coded flight. If you are Flying Blue Elite, you have access to C for redemption using Flying Blue miles but that does not apply to PV to Affaires upgrades.
Re-coding your DL coded codeshare flight to the original AF coded flight does impact mileage earning on Skymiles though: from 50% bonus MQM and miles down to 50% bonus MQM and 25% bonus miles. So even if possible, I would not ask to re-code my flight from DL to AF if the upgrade to O is not available.
vgb2001, thank you for your generosity of time and your expertise - your advice is consistently extremely helpful and very appreciated! While we're discussing the merits of PV and going to all this trouble...do you (or does anyone) find that the PV cabin is more/less comfortable or the same in the various aircraft that feature it (A388, 772/3, A332/4, etc)? I recongize that the shell is fixed but wondered if there is any noticeable difference in spacing/configuration/overall cabin comfort?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:50 pm

Agreed. they will have to re-code the TATL portion with the AF flight number and it will become upgradable. Call again and ask to be transfered to skyteam desk right away. They will know.
On a different note, could you see O available on those flights? I have been struggling to see any O on any DTW, JFK, ATL, TATL flight to CDG for the next 2 months...
Update - as advised by vgb2001 and others, I booked the considerably lower fare (i.e., $2000 less than the diamond agent insisted on) online, then called DL to confirm, which they did. That itinerary was SFO-JFK (stopover to see family)-CDG and same route on return. I had wanted to go to FLR however, but was told this would add significant $$ (W fare to get PV). So I left the booking as is, and called DM line again next day. Got a great agent, and in a matter of minutes was booked through to FLR for $90 more (and she also changed the return flight from CDG to JFK on the better-timed A388 flight). I asked why there was such a discrepancy b/w agents and the fares, etc. She thinks she identified the issue: it is very hard for them to see connections that are coded as CityJet (as opposed to directly operated by AF or Alitalia). She actually didn't originally see the flights (told me that AF doesn't fly to FLR, but when I assured her I had found flights online to FLR codeshared by AF, she looked harder and found the CityJet flights...and then it was done in an instant). Crazy.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:25 pm

vgb2001, thank you for your generosity of time and your expertise - your advice is consistently extremely helpful and very appreciated! While we're discussing the merits of PV and going to all this trouble...do you (or does anyone) find that the PV cabin is more/less comfortable or the same in the various aircraft that feature it (A388, 772/3, A332/4, etc)? I recongize that the shell is fixed but wondered if there is any noticeable difference in spacing/configuration/overall cabin comfort?
Thanks for your nice words, I'm glad I could help!
Re. the PV cabin in different AC... the thing is I so fare have always upgraded PV to Affaires and have therefore never tried the PV seats!!! However, and that is purely personal, I really like the A380: quite, nice, less dried, new... So I would go for this one if I had a choice!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:27 pm

Update - as advised by vgb2001 and others, I booked the considerably lower fare (i.e., $2000 less than the diamond agent insisted on) online, then called DL to confirm, which they did. That itinerary was SFO-JFK (stopover to see family)-CDG and same route on return. I had wanted to go to FLR however, but was told this would add significant $$ (W fare to get PV). So I left the booking as is, and called DM line again next day. Got a great agent, and in a matter of minutes was booked through to FLR for $90 more (and she also changed the return flight from CDG to JFK on the better-timed A388 flight). I asked why there was such a discrepancy b/w agents and the fares, etc. She thinks she identified the issue: it is very hard for them to see connections that are coded as CityJet (as opposed to directly operated by AF or Alitalia). She actually didn't originally see the flights (told me that AF doesn't fly to FLR, but when I assured her I had found flights online to FLR codeshared by AF, she looked harder and found the CityJet flights...and then it was done in an instant). Crazy.
That is great! And on the A380!! ^
Now, you just have to monitor O availability through ExpertFlyer and you will be all set! These days, it seems that O is very rare though.
I have a quick weekend roundtrip SAN/CDG scheduled in september but so far, no luck in O. I may end up trying the PV seat for the first time on this trip!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: having fun
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Yes, I've decided never to take the AF bet again. My EF alerts have shown no Os for the 3 alerts I set.
With all the threads about this, people still don't beleive that DL is blocking O space?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Cann75inNJ
With all the threads about this, people still don't beleive that DL is blocking O space?
I don't think it is DL (since how could they block ExpertFlyer?) but it wouldn't surprise me if AF is restricting O.

If you are FB then you just have to use more miles to get a flex award -- wonder where they learned that

My guess is a lot more of us have used the PV -> Affaires upgrade than AF ever expected (Well, I only did it once but I often check, just in case)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: DM/3MM
AF O inventory has nearly become nonexistent. I know there are some changes afoot around AF changing redemption levels, so the change in O inventory could be related to that. No idea what it means though regarding future O availability.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Cann75inNJ
O space is controlled by AF, not DL. One way to check that besides ExpertFlyer is to log in your flying blue account and look for classic business awards on TATL AF flights. None are available ...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
AF O inventory has nearly become nonexistent. I know there are some changes afoot around AF changing redemption levels, so the change in O inventory could be related to that. No idea what it means though regarding future O availability.
What days are you looking? Fall seemed good, it's the summer that stinks. I found KL to do better than AF this summer.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
What days are you looking? Fall seemed good, it's the summer that stinks. I found KL to do better than AF this summer.
Should have been more specific. I could find no O inventory in fall for JFK-CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.