Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Anyone gotten EF to show O > 0 recently?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Anyone gotten EF to show O > 0 recently?
Yeah. You just have to use awards and upgrades, not flight availability.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Yeah. You just have to use awards and upgrades, not flight availability.
So EF is working with AF inventory, it's just that DL still has issues seeing/pulling O for UG's right?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:31 pm

Looking to buy an AZ fare that includes AF segment. Fare is AZ S class, results in S class for AZ coded AF operated flight.

IF (a big if) DL fixes this AF SWU O fiasco, do you think I can UG this segment? S on AZ appears to be discounted Y, not sure if that translates to prem economy on AF.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:34 am

Ok, so for the second time my UG on AF has disappeared. This itinerary it has happened twice where after ticket was reissued in O, it mysteriously went back to S class. Then I had it reissued by the DL ST desk and since they couldn't pull O class (still having AF O class issues it was reissued in Z). Now it is back to S again. ...? Now I have to call the DL DM line AGAIN.

My last AF trip this happened twice as well, mysteriously goes back to S, after ticket has been reissued AND SWU used.

What is going on? Anyone else have this downgrade issue?

So what happened if I didn't notice this and I boarded my first flight? Or worse all J seats are gone and no O class exists? Seriously DL, do I have to really babysit my UG's?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:46 am

Update from call to DM line, DM agent says AF kicked me out shortly after DL reissued the ticket. They are blaming AF and say they don't know why.

Is it me, or shouldn't DL and AF have this ironed out?

Should I do a TTU on this?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Update from call to DM line, DM agent says AF kicked me out shortly after DL reissued the ticket. They are blaming AF and say they don't know why.

Is it me, or shouldn't DL and AF have this ironed out?

Should I do a TTU on this?
Are you sure the ticket was actually re-issued? My 2 cents would be that the upgrade had been processed by the agent you called (with PU503 used) and then sent to the re-issue queue (in other words, the ticket number was still the same in O as it was in S). You have to ask to be transferred to the skyteam desk after processing the upgrade for immediate re-issue. Agents usually tell you that the ticket is in the queue and will be re-ticketed soon but do not buy that. Issues like the one you describe happen quite often.
Once you are transferred to the skyteam desk, they will re-issue your upgraded ticket, with a new ticket number. Once that is done, I do not think there is any way back...

If there is no O available anymore to start the process again and if there is traces of the previous upgrade to O in the system, I would kindly ask the DM line if they could at least subsitute your previously processed upgrade to O by putting you on a convenient DL metal. A manager should be able to open Z on a DL metal for you.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
Can I use SWU or miles to upgrade buying on Delta.com an M fare ticket but is actually an Air France flight...Miami-CDG on a 777?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
Can I use SWU or miles to upgrade buying on Delta.com an M fare ticket but is actually an Air France flight...Miami-CDG on a 777?
When it's a 777 (not when it's a 747!), buy the DL W fare on DL.dumb (search W or higher). Then call up and tell the PM line that you want to upgrade with miles/SWU. They'll need to change the flight number to the AF flight number, but then if there's O, they can upgrade you. M fares on AF metal can only be upgraded to PV, so it's an awful idea.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
When it's a 777 (not when it's a 747!), buy the DL W fare on DL.dumb (search W or higher). Then call up and tell the PM line that you want to upgrade with miles/SWU. They'll need to change the flight number to the AF flight number, but then if there's O, they can upgrade you. M fares on AF metal can only be upgraded to PV, so it's an awful idea.
Different situation here. Not related to W / premium economy. The question was about upgrading a DL coded but AF operated M economy fare. I would not think it is possible. Y,B,M fares I would assume are upgradable to Z on delta metal. Here, because it's an AF metal, the upgradable space would be AF O, therefore Y would be needed.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by vgb2001
Are you sure the ticket was actually re-issued? My 2 cents would be that the upgrade had been processed by the agent you called (with PU503 used) and then sent to the re-issue queue (in other words, the ticket number was still the same in O as it was in S). You have to ask to be transferred to the skyteam desk after processing the upgrade for immediate re-issue. Agents usually tell you that the ticket is in the queue and will be re-ticketed soon but do not buy that. Issues like the one you describe happen quite often.
Once you are transferred to the skyteam desk, they will re-issue your upgraded ticket, with a new ticket number. Once that is done, I do not think there is any way back...

If there is no O available anymore to start the process again and if there is traces of the previous upgrade to O in the system, I would kindly ask the DM line if they could at least subsitute your previously processed upgrade to O by putting you on a convenient DL metal. A manager should be able to open Z on a DL metal for you.
Yes, ticket was reissued. I have an email showing new date of ticket reissue and new ticket number.

Don't worry, I've been the victim of the not haven been reissued problem, just read up-thread.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by vgb2001
Different situation here. Not related to W / premium economy. The question was about upgrading a DL coded but AF operated M economy fare. I would not think it is possible. Y,B,M fares I would assume are upgradable to Z on delta metal. Here, because it's an AF metal, the upgradable space would be AF O, therefore Y would be needed.
I guess I should have been clearer. The problem is that you need to be booked under the operating carrier's flight number, regardless of what's going on. That's why I suggested the W thing, as it's the one situation that comes to mind where it makes sense to book the codeshare and then have the flight number changed.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
How does it work for Intra-European flight upgrades per Delta's policy? I am on a jax-dtw-ams on Delta metal, then ams-arn on KLM. Am I eligible for an upgrade on the AMS-ARN portion? I know it's not 'true' first class, but it's better than the back.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by emg2919
How does it work for Intra-European flight upgrades per Delta's policy? I am on a jax-dtw-ams on Delta metal, then ams-arn on KLM. Am I eligible for an upgrade on the AMS-ARN portion? I know it's not 'true' first class, but it's better than the back.

Thanks!
AF and KL do not do "intra-EU" upgrades for Elite members unless it's part of an upgrade (e.g. using miles or an SWU) of the TATL portion of the trip. The only time I have had it happen (on AF) was due to IROPS and the agent decided not to put me in a middle seat in the last row.

AFAIK, no European carrier does complimentary upgrades for their elites.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Well it seems like that most posters here with a DL status have had more tatl upgrades on AF/KL than I have had (zero out of twenty or so in the past years)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.