Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MSP-MN
With all the communication issues and problems between AF and DL, I have a question regarding my upcoming trip.

I booked a W fare to CDG on DL and got the return flight upgraded to O class at booking. Ticket was reissued, fare class shows WKWLSUS/PU503, and SWU closed out. Last weekend EF alerts O availability for the outbound flight. I called, got the upgrade, and ticket was reissued. However, the fare class shows WKWLSUS and the SWU is still listed as open.

AF.com, KLM.com and DL.com all show me in O class, seat confirmed and everything. My DL receipt shows my original fare paid, however a receipt off of KLM.com shows a fare of $6k+. (I couldn't figure out how to get a receipt off of AF.com, so went with KLM)

So did I luck out and get an upgrade without the SWU being used? Or am I going to get a rude surprise and have AF demand more money when I try to check in for the outbound?
If your fare basis doesn't end in PU503, the ticket hasn't been reissued. Call and insist that they force the reissue through.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, doesn't sound like it was reissued correctly or at all. My guess is they just changed your ticket to show O and put it in the reissue queue, but then with the IT problems it never got done since DL can't see or rebook into AF O now.

Definitely call and push to get that corrected... last thing you want to do is end up going to the airport and find out you are stuck in Y because DL screwed up.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Yup, doesn't sound like it was reissued correctly or at all. My guess is they just changed your ticket to show O and put it in the reissue queue, but then with the IT problems it never got done since DL can't see or rebook into AF O now.

Definitely call and push to get that corrected... last thing you want to do is end up going to the airport and find out you are stuck in Y because DL screwed up.
Thanks, the only reason I say the ticket was reissued was because on my receipt, the ticket numbers changed and the issue date is the day I called in for the outbound upgrade. I know it doesn't say PU503, but it looked to me that the tickets were reissued. AF.com is showing the new ticket numbers, confirmed into O.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks, the only reason I say the ticket was reissued was because on my receipt, the ticket numbers changed and the issue date is the day I called in for the outbound upgrade. I know it doesn't say PU503, but it looked to me that the tickets were reissued. AF.com is showing the new ticket numbers, confirmed into O.
What booking class does DL show you in on the details screen? If it's O, you might just have lucked out. However, I'd still be leery of something going wrong at the airport and finding myself in PV instead of Affaires. Alternatively, there might be some sort of audit sweep run that shows you in O with a W fare basis and no SWU or miles attached and dumps you back into W with no O available.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
What booking class does DL show you in on the details screen? If it's O, you might just have lucked out. However, I'd still be leery of something going wrong at the airport and finding myself in PV instead of Affaires. Alternatively, there might be some sort of audit sweep run that shows you in O with a W fare basis and no SWU or miles attached and dumps you back into W with no O available.
DL shows O, and the flight numbers were changed from DL numbers to AF numbers, if that makes a difference.

I never thought of the audit run, while a free upgrade would be great. I think I'll give a call to make sure it has been processed correctly. Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In that case it does sound like it was done, since it is now AF flight numbers and your AF ticket shows reissued and in O.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
just tried to upgrade AF IAD-CDG (today EF showed 2 O seats), was told by the skyteam desk that they could not see anything, and that the IT problems were ongoing

it wasn't looking good

then out of the blue the guy rebooked me in Z on DL metal!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: DM, KM,
Originally Posted by rdg_dc
just tried to upgrade AF IAD-CDG (today EF showed 2 O seats), was told by the skyteam desk that they could not see anything, and that the IT problems were ongoing

it wasn't looking good

Can you provide details?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by rdg_dc
This has happened to me a few times after DL schedule changes and IROPs. Saves me a connection and gets me a real flat bed. Apparently when DL can't accommodate a passenger on Air France due to issues on their end, protocol is to rebook onto DL metal.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by akonradi
This has happened to me a few times after DL schedule changes and IROPs. Saves me a connection and gets me a real flat bed. Apparently when DL can't accommodate a passenger on Air France due to issues on their end, protocol is to rebook onto DL metal.
Happened to me before when a delta schedule change made my connection from the TATL in O impoosible, was rebooked on DL metal in BE.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just bought OKC-ATL-JFK-IST (M/SWU) and wanted to come back IST-AMS-MEM-OKC so I return home the same day but the DM agent said she could not see O inventory for KLM (IST-AMS) even though I see it on EF.

The agent said it was an IT problem and that they were trying to keep us on DL medal until this is resolved which doesn't pay my hotel bill in ATL.

Last edited by Xeno; Mar 21, 2012 at 7:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:26 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Short Rant....
Joining in the frustration on lack of knowledge on the part of the phone agents. You would think at least the agents at the Diamond desk would be knowledgeable. Called to see about a flight out of JFK to JNB on a specific day in June. Want to use SWU's. Looked like cheapest M fare was through YUL.

First DM agent told me that only Y and B fares would upgradeable with SWU's on KLM and they upgrade into Z. I (nicely) mentioned I'm pretty sure the website reads Y, B, M, and U on KLM and if memory serves they upgrade into O.
She was adamant that only AirFrance uses O and that M fares were no longer upgradeable on KLM, but for another $440, she found inventory on both legs for upgrade. Well, fine, if she could get the upgrades, I'll go with her version.

As luck would have it, as she tried to work the return we got disconnected. Called back. Next DM agent agreed that KLM uses O for upgrades, but only on Y and B fares. I read her the line from Delta.com that I could use M.
She said nothing was available for upgrade on that route on KLM. I could seen off the W.A. inventory website that KLM had 3 open O in inventory for the flight that day.
Long story shortened, she was confused, couldn't see the inventory and then had the wrong dates. In the end she said "I think it's just too early to book"
I gave up.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
With all the communication issues and problems between AF and DL, I have a question regarding my upcoming trip.

I booked a W fare to CDG on DL and got the return flight upgraded to O class at booking. Ticket was reissued, fare class shows WKWLSUS/PU503, and SWU closed out. Last weekend EF alerts O availability for the outbound flight. I called, got the upgrade, and ticket was reissued. However, the fare class shows WKWLSUS and the SWU is still listed as open.

AF.com, KLM.com and DL.com all show me in O class, seat confirmed and everything. My DL receipt shows my original fare paid, however a receipt off of KLM.com shows a fare of $6k+. (I couldn't figure out how to get a receipt off of AF.com, so went with KLM)

So did I luck out and get an upgrade without the SWU being used? Or am I going to get a rude surprise and have AF demand more money when I try to check in for the outbound?
I wouldn't rest til my itin shows O class.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:51 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I figured it was probably more broadly applicable to international fares, but thought I should restrict my comment to actual experience. Which government agency regulates things like publishing fare rules, DOC or DOT? Maybe we need to start filing complaints about it or calling in and asking the agents to read the rules to us in their entirety before booking tickets.
No idea, I am fairly new to the American system; but I would be in.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by kathnunley
Short Rant....
Joining in the frustration on lack of knowledge on the part of the phone agents. You would think at least the agents at the Diamond desk would be knowledgeable. Called to see about a flight out of JFK to JNB on a specific day in June. Want to use SWU's. Looked like cheapest M fare was through YUL.

First DM agent told me that only Y and B fares would upgradeable with SWU's on KLM and they upgrade into Z. I (nicely) mentioned I'm pretty sure the website reads Y, B, M, and U on KLM and if memory serves they upgrade into O.
She was adamant that only AirFrance uses O and that M fares were no longer upgradeable on KLM, but for another $440, she found inventory on both legs for upgrade. Well, fine, if she could get the upgrades, I'll go with her version.

As luck would have it, as she tried to work the return we got disconnected. Called back. Next DM agent agreed that KLM uses O for upgrades, but only on Y and B fares. I read her the line from Delta.com that I could use M.
She said nothing was available for upgrade on that route on KLM. I could seen off the W.A. inventory website that KLM had 3 open O in inventory for the flight that day.
Long story shortened, she was confused, couldn't see the inventory and then had the wrong dates. In the end she said "I think it's just too early to book"
I gave up.
More non-reality based marketing speak from Delta's website:

The SkyTeam Alliance

As a world traveler and valued customer, we want you to have more flexibility and more choices with your international travel.

SkyTeam has been bringing you seamless services for more than 10 years. And thanks to a steady stream of new members joining our alliance, our global network now covers over 800 destinations making your connections as quick and smooth as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.