Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Mods, is there any way to move the guide "Guide: How to upgrade pv=>affaires" post #725 to post #1 in order to make it more visible, easier to find? There are a lot of questions re. upgrade PV to Affaires and this post will likely answer a lot of them.
Good idea, and thanks for writing that for everyone's benefit, vgb2001.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold

AF often releases O either far ahead or closer to the departure. IME, good US gateways for O include DTW, IAD and JFK.
Many have reported great success from YUL as well due to A380.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
ex-LHR: does AF have any TATL flights ex-LHR? I know they tried LHR/LAX a while back but I thought they had given up on that.
APD is based (essentially) on most significant class of service, and AF does sell W on many of its LHR-CDG flights. W should incur full APD (cf. BA's WT+ taxes), but AF and DL price it out at the lower rate for some reason. I flew LHR-SAN (via CDG and a few other airports) upgraded with an SWU and had the Ł65 APD difference collected when the ticket was reissued. Because the agent who processed the initial SWU didn't know that the extra APD would be collected, my AF segments vanished at the ticket reissue stage since there was no way to do the additional collection.

Originally Posted by brit44
IMO if you are redirected to the international reissue desk right away they are the most competent in handling these, and may be able to get around the married segment issue.
That has been my experience. Frontline agents say blocked by married segments, but international manual reissue takes care of it immediately. Just ask for them at the outset if you can.

Originally Posted by brit44
Many have reported great success from YUL as well due to A380.
Anyone done it recently? We had a post a couple months back indicating that agents were only allowing US to CDG and not North America to CDG.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
Question

I tried to put together a step by step guide for this. This is based on my own experience with the process (between me and partner, I did this about a dozen times). If there are mistakes, approximations or if something is unclear, please do not hesitate to reply.

Premium Voyageur to Affaires upgrade

Upgrade instruments:
PU503 or 15k miles

Eligible fares
AF ticket booked in W or S (not A, which is the cheapest PE fare)
Delta ticket booked in W (only delta fare for AF PE product)

Of note: Delta's availability in W corresponds to AF's A availability. However, Delta W fare is eligible for upgrade (AF A is not)
If AF A=0, then DL W=0. No Delta ticket available on this flight for PE product. In this situation, buying an AF ticket in W or S will be required. Alternatively, one can also create an ExpertFlyer alert and wait for desired flight delta W>0.
As per T&C, only TATL portion of the trip will be eligible for upgrade. Also, most AF 747 planes DO NOT HAVE a premium voyageur class and are therefore not eligible, even if TATL.

Upgrade Bucket
Upgrade has to be pulled from AF O bucket.
AF often releases O either far ahead or closer to the departure. IME, good US gateways for O include DTW, IAD and JFK. Success reported also from YUL (A380).

How to search for/book eligible fares
Using ExpertFlyer:
Look for AF W, S >0 to book an AF ticket, or DL W>0 to book a delta ticket

Using delta.com:
Use the Advanced Booking Page. For a direct flight, no domestic portion (ex JFK/CDG), chose the option “fare class W or above”. For a flight that includes a domestic portion (ex SAN/CDG through DTW), use the option “fare class Y or above”. The domestic portion will return Y (As per T&C, W cannot be combined with lower than Y) and the TATL will return W. If medallion, you will either get direct upgrade for the domestic portion at time of booking if V/X available or you will be put on the upgrade list.
If doing so the system does not return Premium Economy but rather only business class, it means that Delta W=0
If Delta W=0. One can set up an ExpertFlyer alert for the desired flight and wait for W to become >0. Alternatively, once can book on airfrance.us in the W or S bucket. Of note, the price will likely be higher (especially S).

Using airfrance.us
Use class Premium Voyageur in the booking page. Once selected your times/dates, advance the booking process. On the page showing itinerary and price, you will see the class of service. Be careful, the cheapest Premium Voyageur fare on AF is class A, which is not upgradable using PU503 or miles. To my knowledge, airfrance.us does not offer the possibility to choose higher fare (W, S) if desired and low fare (A) available.
Of note, unlike when booking on delta.com, when booking an itinerary with a domestic portion on airfrance.us (ex SAN/CDG through JFK), the domestic portion is not eligible for medallion upgrade. For medallions who want to upgrade the domestic portion but have to buy W/S on airfrance.us (because W not available on delta), I would recommend splitting the ticket in two: Buying the domestic portion on delta.com and the TATL portion on airfrance.us.

Please see post #733. DL domestic portions of AF ticket are eligible for upgrade. Therefore buying two separate tickets may not be necessary.

How to find availability for upgrade

Using Expertflyer

Search Expertflyer for O>0 on the desired flight. If O not available, create an alert or search for a different gateway (LAX, SFO, DTW, IAD, NYC…)

Using Airfrance.us

Create a flyingblue account, login and click Award ticket reservation. Look for Business Award available on your desired flight. O bucket is the same for upgrade from PV or directly redeem miles for Business. One should be looking for “Affaires (business) classic award”. I usually look each way separate to make it simpler. If a “affaires classic award” is available to book (for 50k miles each way) on your desired flight, it means O>0. If O not available, keep searching on a regularly or create an ExpertFlyer alert.

Using Delta.com

Somewhat less reliable due to the broken award search engine. One can look for “low award business” availability on the desired TATL flight. If available, it means O>0.

How to request the upgrade

Once you have purchased delta W or AF W/S and identified O>0 on your flight, call medallion line and ask them to process your upgrade using either your PU503 or 15k SM
If you have a delta.com ticket, the agent will be required to code your ticket into the airfrance flight number to be able to process the upgrade. The agent will also have to look for and identify the O availability you saw. If the agent is unable to accomplish or give you unexpected answers, either hang up and start again or ask to be transferred to the skyteam desk.
The process can take anywhere between 15 and 60 min, depending on the agent. Once the upgrade is processed (check your itinerary online and see new cabin in Affaires), ask the agent to get the new ticket re-issued. Some agents will be reluctant and will tell you your ticket is in the re-issue queue and will be re-issued later. Do not agree; nicely explain that you had issues in the past with this, especially with the AF/DL interface, and ask to be transferred to the re-issue desk. Once on the phone with the re-issue desk, explain again and get the ticket re-issued. You should receive a confirmation with a new ticket number and miles/PU503 should be pulled.
Of note, you will likely be asked to pay the luxury tax for business class out of CDG

If you have domestic portion not yet cleared for upgrade and have used a PU503 for the TATL upgrade, your itinerary should show both a confirmed seat in Y with complementary medallion upgrade requested (V/X), and a waitlist in first/business for G/Z.
Once the ticket is re-issued, the upgrade should stick.

How many miles/MQM should I get?

Once upgraded and re-issued:
50% bonus MQM and 25% miles class AF bonus for the TATL
50% bonus MQM and 50% miles class DL bonus for the domestic portion
FANTASTIC INFO! Thank you. Followed all advice.
Found availablilty and excellent fares at $1400 for the TATL portion, and then just $1500 if I add the transcon domestic feeder flight -- all on DL; have not had to resort to AF W/S yet (and seems we don't have definitive answer about domestic leg medallion upgrade eligibility). However, it all falls apart if I then add the European domestic leg (e.g., SFO to CDG via JFK or ATL or DTW or LAX all yield $1500 for W, but if I change final destination to FLR, I'm suddenly at $5000+ (not biz!). Is my only choice to buy a separate ticket for that last leg? I don't care about W (or O upgradability) given the short flight and the poor product. What to do? (is this what others have referred to as a married segment?)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
However, it all falls apart if I then add the European domestic leg (e.g., SFO to CDG via JFK or ATL or DTW or LAX all yield $1500 for W, but if I change final destination to FLR, I'm suddenly at $5000+ (not biz!).
There are cheap Delta W fares filed for SFO-FLR, too, so it's not a fare problem, but it may be an availability problem (no W on CDG-FLR for your date). Try different dates - or think of flying into Pisa PSA and taking the direct train from PSA into Firenze.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
Unhappy

I tried to put together a step by step guide for this. This is based on my own experience with the process (between me and partner, I did this about a dozen times). If there are mistakes, approximations or if something is unclear, please do not hesitate to reply.

Premium Voyageur to Affaires upgrade

Upgrade instruments:
PU503 or 15k miles

Eligible fares
AF ticket booked in W or S (not A, which is the cheapest PE fare)
Delta ticket booked in W (only delta fare for AF PE product)

Of note: Delta's availability in W corresponds to AF's A availability. However, Delta W fare is eligible for upgrade (AF A is not)
If AF A=0, then DL W=0. No Delta ticket available on this flight for PE product. In this situation, buying an AF ticket in W or S will be required. Alternatively, one can also create an ExpertFlyer alert and wait for desired flight delta W>0.
As per T&C, only TATL portion of the trip will be eligible for upgrade. Also, most AF 747 planes DO NOT HAVE a premium voyageur class and are therefore not eligible, even if TATL.

Upgrade Bucket
Upgrade has to be pulled from AF O bucket.
AF often releases O either far ahead or closer to the departure. IME, good US gateways for O include DTW, IAD and JFK. Success reported also from YUL (A380).

How to search for/book eligible fares
Using ExpertFlyer:
Look for AF W, S >0 to book an AF ticket, or DL W>0 to book a delta ticket

Using delta.com:
Use the Advanced Booking Page. For a direct flight, no domestic portion (ex JFK/CDG), chose the option “fare class W or above”. For a flight that includes a domestic portion (ex SAN/CDG through DTW), use the option “fare class Y or above”. The domestic portion will return Y (As per T&C, W cannot be combined with lower than Y) and the TATL will return W. If medallion, you will either get direct upgrade for the domestic portion at time of booking if V/X available or you will be put on the upgrade list.
If doing so the system does not return Premium Economy but rather only business class, it means that Delta W=0
If Delta W=0. One can set up an ExpertFlyer alert for the desired flight and wait for W to become >0. Alternatively, once can book on airfrance.us in the W or S bucket. Of note, the price will likely be higher (especially S).

Using airfrance.us
Use class Premium Voyageur in the booking page. Once selected your times/dates, advance the booking process. On the page showing itinerary and price, you will see the class of service. Be careful, the cheapest Premium Voyageur fare on AF is class A, which is not upgradable using PU503 or miles. To my knowledge, airfrance.us does not offer the possibility to choose higher fare (W, S) if desired and low fare (A) available.
Of note, unlike when booking on delta.com, when booking an itinerary with a domestic portion on airfrance.us (ex SAN/CDG through JFK), the domestic portion is not eligible for medallion upgrade. For medallions who want to upgrade the domestic portion but have to buy W/S on airfrance.us (because W not available on delta), I would recommend splitting the ticket in two: Buying the domestic portion on delta.com and the TATL portion on airfrance.us.

Please see post #733. DL domestic portions of AF ticket are eligible for upgrade. Therefore buying two separate tickets may not be necessary.

How to find availability for upgrade

Using Expertflyer

Search Expertflyer for O>0 on the desired flight. If O not available, create an alert or search for a different gateway (LAX, SFO, DTW, IAD, NYC…)

Using Airfrance.us

Create a flyingblue account, login and click Award ticket reservation. Look for Business Award available on your desired flight. O bucket is the same for upgrade from PV or directly redeem miles for Business. One should be looking for “Affaires (business) classic award”. I usually look each way separate to make it simpler. If a “affaires classic award” is available to book (for 50k miles each way) on your desired flight, it means O>0. If O not available, keep searching on a regularly or create an ExpertFlyer alert.

Using Delta.com

Somewhat less reliable due to the broken award search engine. One can look for “low award business” availability on the desired TATL flight. If available, it means O>0.

How to request the upgrade

Once you have purchased delta W or AF W/S and identified O>0 on your flight, call medallion line and ask them to process your upgrade using either your PU503 or 15k SM
If you have a delta.com ticket, the agent will be required to code your ticket into the airfrance flight number to be able to process the upgrade. The agent will also have to look for and identify the O availability you saw. If the agent is unable to accomplish or give you unexpected answers, either hang up and start again or ask to be transferred to the skyteam desk.
The process can take anywhere between 15 and 60 min, depending on the agent. Once the upgrade is processed (check your itinerary online and see new cabin in Affaires), ask the agent to get the new ticket re-issued. Some agents will be reluctant and will tell you your ticket is in the re-issue queue and will be re-issued later. Do not agree; nicely explain that you had issues in the past with this, especially with the AF/DL interface, and ask to be transferred to the re-issue desk. Once on the phone with the re-issue desk, explain again and get the ticket re-issued. You should receive a confirmation with a new ticket number and miles/PU503 should be pulled.
Of note, you will likely be asked to pay the luxury tax for business class out of CDG

If you have domestic portion not yet cleared for upgrade and have used a PU503 for the TATL upgrade, your itinerary should show both a confirmed seat in Y with complementary medallion upgrade requested (V/X), and a waitlist in first/business for G/Z.
Once the ticket is re-issued, the upgrade should stick.

How many miles/MQM should I get?

Once upgraded and re-issued:
50% bonus MQM and 25% miles class AF bonus for the TATL
50% bonus MQM and 50% miles class DL bonus for the domestic portion
So I tired this booking, not even bringing FLR into the mix:

28 Sep 2012 | 11:20AMSFO to 8:10PMJFK | Nonstop | DL 198
DL 198Economy (Y)

29 Sep 2012 | 6:20PMJFK to 7:30AMSun 30 SepCDG | Nonstop | DL 86981
DL 86981Premium Economy
Operated by: 1 Air France

10 Oct 2012 | 7:10PMCDG to 9:10PMJFK | Nonstop | DL 85541
DL 85541Premium Economy

11 Oct 2012 | 10:00AMJFK to 1:27PMSFO | Nonstop | DL 1765
DL1765Economy (Y)

And the Delta Diamond line agent tells me that it won't be eligible for upgrade using DL codeshare flights on AF. I kept telling the agent that didn't make sense, since I'm booking Delta W fares which ARE eligible for O upgrades when/if they become available...she says no. The above itinerary is $1500. They're telling me for $3500 it would be upgradable if available (not M, this same W). She says it can't be a DL codeshare, needs to be an AF flight. So I suggested it be booked and then transfer me to international reissue desk to reissue to AF flight. She said no, doesn't work. What am I missing here?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I would book the itinerary online (you have 24 hours to cancel at no risk since it starts in the US) and then call and ask an agent to upgrade. You may have to remind them that they need to change the flight numbers from DL to AF, but they should be able to do it.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I would book the itinerary online (you have 24 hours to cancel at no risk since it starts in the US) and then call and ask an agent to upgrade. You may have to remind them that they need to change the flight numbers from DL to AF, but they should be able to do it.
Right, this is the solution I posted up-thread as recommended by mtkeller.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaUnitedContest
So I tired this booking, not even bringing FLR into the mix:

28 Sep 2012 | 11:20AMSFO to 8:10PMJFK | Nonstop | DL 198
DL 198Economy (Y)

29 Sep 2012 | 6:20PMJFK to 7:30AMSun 30 SepCDG | Nonstop | DL 86981
DL 86981Premium Economy

10 Oct 2012 | 7:10PMCDG to 9:10PMJFK | Nonstop | DL 85541
DL 85541Premium Economy

11 Oct 2012 | 10:00AMJFK to 1:27PMSFO | Nonstop | DL 1765
DL1765Economy (Y)

And the Delta Diamond line agent tells me that it won't be eligible for upgrade using DL codeshare flights on AF. I kept telling the agent that didn't make sense, since I'm booking Delta W fares which ARE eligible for O upgrades when/if they become available...she says no. The above itinerary is $1500. They're telling me for $3500 it would be upgradable if available (not M, this same W). She says it can't be a DL codeshare, needs to be an AF flight. So I suggested it be booked and then transfer me to international reissue desk to reissue to AF flight. She said no, doesn't work. What am I missing here?
Agreed. they will have to re-code the TATL portion with the AF flight number and it will become upgradable. Call again and ask to be transfered to skyteam desk right away. They will know.
On a different note, could you see O available on those flights? I have been struggling to see any O on any DTW, JFK, ATL, TATL flight to CDG for the next 2 months...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Choice Hotels Plat, Avis First, AMEX MR Plat
Agreed. they will have to re-code the TATL portion with the AF flight number and it will become upgradable. Call again and ask to be transfered to skyteam desk right away. They will know.
On a different note, could you see O available on those flights? I have been struggling to see any O on any DTW, JFK, ATL, TATL flight to CDG for the next 2 months...
I've set EF alerts for recent AF flights from ATL and am not seeing any O opening up. I had the same problem last time I went to CDG where there were plenty of C availability but O never opened up...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wsw523
I've set EF alerts for recent AF flights from ATL and am not seeing any O opening up. I had the same problem last time I went to CDG where there were plenty of C availability but O never opened up...
That is the advantage of SWUs on Delta metal. One can clear from the wait list into an open seat. Without O inventory on AF, one is stuck in the purchased class irrespective of open seats at time of departure.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Choice Hotels Plat, Avis First, AMEX MR Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That is the advantage of SWUs on Delta metal. One can clear from the wait list into an open seat. Without O inventory on AF, one is stuck in the purchased class irrespective of open seats at time of departure.
Agreed, but at a higher cost M ticket and risk I'm flying Y vs PV, DL metal can't compare.

I'm surprised there isn't a quota of SM awards to be available in the JV contract (maybe there is?).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

That being said, I would fly DL over AF hands down if Econ Comfort was equivalent to PV as I prefer the J upgrades on DL!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
And this is something new too. For the last 2 years or more, i have been buying W and upgrading to O 100% of the time. At least, O would open 24hrs before departure. Now, I see plenty of C but no O, even on the day of departure despite J9 and plenty of empty seats! I wonder if it has to do with AF's bad numbers these days... Well, still hope it will change and O will open for my flights late september...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I found O earlier this year (ATL-CDG) when I bought my November GVA ticket, but could not find it two weeks ago when I was looking at CDG again perhaps in Sept or Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.