Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:27 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by mnredfox
What's annoying is that if I'm going to sit in coach, I might as well sit on DL metal, get EC for free, and hope for an op-up...
For a distinguished KM as you are one that can also be done on a LUT Actually, almost all of my OpUps were in LUT and I was sitting in coach while being on a M several times.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
What's annoying is that if I'm going to sit in coach, I might as well sit on DL metal, get EC for free, and hope for an op-up...
You are correct in that your op-up chances are better on DL metal if you are a DL elite. DL pax on AF only get op-uped after all levels of FlyingBlue get op-uped.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
I beg to differ. Just as DL trained us with the YBM, such a buy up will quickly catch on. It puts AF in a position to charge even 10 minutes to departure and to consolidate OpUps and such. I doubt that there will be more empty seats in the long run. My prediction would be quite the opposite, especially regarding airport buy up's: why pay for more flexibility in advance when you are already at the airport and ready to go. If its reasonably prices (such as the KL lounge buy up) I see favorable results for AF and not so much for us loyal FF.
All I'm saying is if you look at several flights where O=0 for weeks, on the day of departure they were still J9
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
You are correct in that your op-up chances are better on DL metal if you are a DL elite. DL pax on AF only get op-uped after all levels of FlyingBlue get op-uped.
Well, all my years as NW SE, GE, PE and then DL PM, DM I didn't get squat. We'll see if there's any more love to the green taggers.

Originally Posted by c_d
For a distinguished KM as you are one that can also be done on a LUT Actually, almost all of my OpUps were in LUT and I was sitting in coach while being on a M several times.
Ha, fare class hasn't meant squat and still doesn't. Glad you at least got some op ups. ^
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:46 am
c_d

Guys, hell froze over! One of my alarms just triggered for O availability BOS-CDG (AF321 in case someone is flexible) for the holiday week end. All other city pairs I observed still remain at J/9 but O/0 for this weekend (ATL, JFK, DTW, MSP). In particular the two J/9 C/9 D/9 I/9 Z/9 O/0 are slowly but surely angering me.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PE
Originally Posted by c_d
Guys, hell froze over! One of my alarms just triggered for O availability BOS-CDG (AF321 in case someone is flexible) for the holiday week end. All other city pairs I observed still remain at J/9 but O/0 for this weekend (ATL, JFK, DTW, MSP). In particular the two J/9 C/9 D/9 I/9 Z/9 O/0 are slowly but surely angering me.
Unfortunately, hell just unfroze. SWUs are not valid on 747 flights. Meh.

Last edited by jimgraffam; Aug 31, 2012 at 9:13 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:43 am
c_d

Originally Posted by jimgraffam
Unfortunately, hell just unfroze. SWUs are not valid on 747 flights. Meh.
Not really, there is O availability out there, we just cannot use it. (So no one can claim that there is no O out there (irony))

Is an AF YBM upgrade with miles possible? The terms are slightly misleading, since only when W comes in play, the 744 is excluded: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...ds/index.jsp#7

Last edited by c_d; Aug 31, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: Clarity
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:51 pm

Got very excited and started checking JFK-CDG or DTW-CDG around my dates (09-21), still nothing of any flights +/- 3 days...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
So if I understand this right, in order to upgrade my Delta coded flight, I need to call DL and get them to change it to AF (ie DL 8581-> AF 7). Then if O opens up, I call and get the upgrade from Premium Economy. Are there any repercussions of doing this now to save time later? Same with any other flight?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Barbella7
So if I understand this right, in order to upgrade my Delta coded flight, I need to call DL and get them to change it to AF (ie DL 8581-> AF 7). Then if O opens up, I call and get the upgrade from Premium Economy. Are there any repercussions of doing this now to save time later? Same with any other flight?
You actually get fewer RDM (but the same MQM) when it's booked under the AF flight number instead of the DL flight number. Thus, I would not ask them to change it until you find O inventory. Additionally, they may be reluctant (or totally unwilling) to make the change now without a clear reason to do so.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Still nothing for my upcoming flights...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
You actually get fewer RDM (but the same MQM) when it's booked under the AF flight number instead of the DL flight number. Thus, I would not ask them to change it until you find O inventory. Additionally, they may be reluctant (or totally unwilling) to make the change now without a clear reason to do so.
I was wondering if making the change would increase one's chances to being contacted by AF for a paid upgrade?
My next flight is Y1, W1 but J9. My guess is that AF is going to send some of those "would you want to upgrade to J for $xxx" emails and I would really want to be contacted (since O=0 for months now).
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Many thanks to the guide written by vgb2001; in the end everything worked out well.

My first problem was trying to get myself to Berlin. Delta's web site would only route me through Amsterdam, and no matter how I tried to split the flights up on a multi-city search it came back with an error. The web just wouldn't accept BER for after the airport move or even TXL for before the move.

The second problem was more minor for me, AF O availability. I'm traveling next spring, but given experiences reported here figured I better book now. Availability from LAX on the A380 was pretty good a few weeks ago but now for the same time period it has dried up. Coming from the west coast this was a bummer as I'd rather have a long transatlantic flight. Availability was best to/from ORD and IAD, with IAH variable. LAX was minimal, and SFO and ATL were non-existent.

The third problem was getting a stopover in CDG which appeared to be allowed by the W fare rules. When I added that to a sample web booking to FRA the cost went up by about $1000.

So I booked a ticket PDX-FRA-RT with all the flights and dates I wanted. In order to get W class I had to search for W, not Y (this is different from the guide). I then called Delta and explained I really wanted to go to Berlin and I also wanted a Paris layover. I figured this was easier than spelling out all the flights I wanted and having the agent try to sell me PDX-AMS-BER.

After 5 minutes the agent sent me to the int'l re-issue desk since they would need to deal with it anyway. That desk had a very hard time finding the CDG-BER flights, and even with me giving them the DL code-share flight numbers it took a while. After about 30 minutes, explaining again why I want to fly via IAD (I don't, but I'm forced if I want to upgrade without paying a ridiculous Delta M fare) I got switched to Berlin and had the Paris layover, for about $60 more than the FRA flight I booked.

Then I requested the SWUs and another 30 min phone call later was done. This time the first agent got everything set up and without me asking sent me to the reissue desk where the ~$40 luxury tax was collected.

I'm happy to have the upgrade, but what should have taken 10 minutes took about 45 minutes of struggling with Delta's website and an hour on the phone. One can only hope they'll simplify the process in the future.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:36 pm
c_d

Still nothing for my upcoming flights...
Forget about it, when I arrived in ATL yesterday, my AF flight was still J9 with O0. I scored an OpUp though, so basically I saved a SWU (hooray )

Originally Posted by vgb2001
I was wondering if making the change would increase one's chances to being contacted by AF for a paid upgrade?
My next flight is Y1, W1 but J9. My guess is that AF is going to send some of those "would you want to upgrade to J for $xxx" emails and I would really want to be contacted (since O=0 for months now).
There is no approach of "foreign" pax, as the SkyTeam desk in CDG confirmed when I was specifically requesting that very information yesterday. Only FB members so far and of those only members with a fully filled profile. Also, AF flight numbers ONLY - no code share flt #.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by c_d
Forget about it, when I arrived in ATL yesterday, my AF flight was still J9 with O0. I scored an OpUp though, so basically I saved a SWU (hooray )

There is no approach of "foreign" pax, as the SkyTeam desk in CDG confirmed when I was specifically requesting that very information yesterday. Only FB members so far and of those only members with a fully filled profile. Also, AF flight numbers ONLY - no code share flt #.
Thanks for this. The reason why I was still hoping is that redtop43 reported somewhere that his wife was contacted by AF to upgrade her Y delta award ticket on AF metal (JFK/CDG) for E139 to PV or E329 to Affaires.
So I fully filed my profile on AF and KLM website...still hoping.

My next flight shows J9W1Y1 so if not contacted for a paid upgrade, still keeping my fingers crossed for an op-up :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.