Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by c_d
You should panic. If I understand you correctly, you changed your trip with DL and not AF. When AF is reissuing, the resulting upgrade is included in the reissue but when DL is doing that, it seems that the original fare base is used for he reissued ticket. The agent has to actively scan your itin for the potential application of a SWU and reissue the whole thing if space permits. Have you checked Z/O availability before doing the change?

In my experience, they only remembered to reissue the new ticket including the originally applied SWU once. That was done by the experts of the international reissue desk and it was a manual process due to the BER problems. For an ordinary schedule change, they always forgot to reapply the SWU and reissue the ticket, which simply means: I was back in coach again and, also notable, the SWU was simply gone.
Thanks, see my reply to myself that I think we got it sorted out. Just to be clear:

1) Had originally booked USA-Europe round-trip with DL on AF metal, PM03/FM01 correctly applied to overwater segments.

2) Yesterday, reticketed outbound to DL metal, no change to AF return. Z was available, new DL segment was correctly showing PM03/FM01 after reticketing.

3) Return AF segment still showed O class and seats could be selected on AF site. However, during reticketing, PM03/FM01 references dropped off.

4) Called international reissue desk, they added back the PM03/FM01 reference to AF overwater segment, and reticketed.

5) Reservation currently showing [farebasis]/PU503 on outbound DL metal, and [farebasis]/PU503 on return AF metal.

Seems like I'm set, no?

PS - I refer to PM03/FM01 due funded upgrades with combination of SWUs for self+companion and miles for Miles (my son)

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jun 27, 2012 at 8:15 am Reason: text
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:39 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Thanks, see my reply to myself that I think we got it sorted out. Just to be clear:

1) Had originally booked USA-Europe round-trip with DL on AF metal, PM03/FM01 correctly applied to overwater segments.

2) Yesterday, reticketed outbound to DL metal, no change to AF return. Z was available, new DL segment was correctly showing PM03/FM01 after reticketing.

3) Return AF segment still showed O class and seats could be selected on AF site. However, during reticketing, PM03/FM01 references dropped off.

4) Called international reissue desk, they added back the PM03/FM01 reference to AF overwater segment, and reticketed.

5) Reservation currently showing [farebasis]/PU503 on outbound DL metal, and [farebasis]/PU503 on return AF metal.

Seems like I'm set, no?

PS - I refer to PM03/FM01 due funded upgrades with combination of SWUs for self+companion and miles for Miles (my son)
You nailed it! ^
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
25%. Ticket stock matters not, just the flight number. If you fly a DL W fare on a DL-coded flight, you'll get 50%, but if it's an AF flight number, the AF chart for SkyMiles earning applies.
+1. In the end it should be whatever the fare class becomes on the carrier flown (operating carrier, or metal).
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1. In the end it should be whatever the fare class becomes on the carrier flown (operating carrier, or metal).
Agreed. However, my question came from the fact that the original ticket has a DL flight number. The upgrade process requires to re-ticket into an AF flight number. I was therefore wondering if miles should be earn according to original purchase rather than re-issued ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Agreed. However, my question came from the fact that the original ticket has a DL flight number. The upgrade process requires to re-ticket into an AF flight number. I was therefore wondering if miles should be earn according to original purchase rather than re-issued ticket.
Should be original ticket, when reissuing ticket things might get tricky but just make sure it posts to at least your original fare. If it works for the better in your favor obviously mum's the word.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
O class availability

has anyone had recent luck here getting O class to show up on EF? had been trying for 3 months for a previous trip (mid june) with no luck. now i am also looking at mid/end-nov dates, still nothing.

trying out west coast routes - sfo-cdg/lax-cdg
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by c_d
Since this question often comes up again and again: Yes, there is a way to find out whether the the SWU is correctly applied and coded. However, one needs to understand that it is not only looking on the "my trips" page, see the two indicators "O" and "confirmed" because they mean nothing as such. Scroll down on the page, locate your ticket number, click on it and a new window appears with more "technical information" about your trip.

If you see something looking the screenshot below, your SWU IS NOT properly coded (despite showing class "O" and "confirmed" on the trip summary). Remember, it is a trap because they even let you select BE seats at this point, although your ticket is actually still ECONOMY!

If you see something in the lines of below, your SWU IS properly coded:

Let me repeat just for the sake of completeness: What you see on the trip summary page is irrelevant and merely informative. Even though you see a BE seat, fare class "O", and the magic word "confirmed" next to your segments does not mean that your SWU is properly coded and applied and they may put you in Economy because this is what your ticket (as issued) is saying.

Only the info on your ticket receipt shows what's really going on.

BTW: Coupon Status "O-AF" does NOT mean fare class "O" on Air France but that the segment is operated by Air France and that its still Open (not checked-in, flown, or otherwise). Some people seem to mistake the coupon as confirmation that the SWU is in order (well the wording is slightly misleading as the SWU basically is a coupon of some kind).
Does this also apply to DL operated flights? Should it list the /PU503 if the SWU is correctly applied on a DL operated flight, or if the class is listed as Z on the receipt and the cert is closed out is everything ok?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Drile
Does this also apply to DL operated flights? Should it list the /PU503 if the SWU is correctly applied on a DL operated flight, or if the class is listed as Z on the receipt and the cert is closed out is everything ok?
In my experience, if it is a DL flight, if your receipt shows Z confirmed and the SWU is closed, then it is fine. It cannot just be your itinerary that shows Z. Sometimes the itinerary shows Z confirmed, but if the ticket hasn't been reissued and SWU not pulled, it still isn't final. So I always make sure to have an updated copy of the receipt sent to my email after I believe the ticket has been reissued to be sure - and call the international reissue desk if the receipt doesn't reflect the confirmed Z/G.

Susan
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PE
This thread is aching for a definitive how-to guide that starts with eligibility criteria, how to search for, how to request, and how to ensure the upgrade stuck.

I'd consider doing it myself except my last two trips have had to go through the pains of having my original leg and seat reinstated after the upgrade was either processed incorrectly or not reticketed (despite my asking them multiple times to ensure that it had been).

Anyone out there seasoned enough to do it?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:33 am

What is the consensus on UG to J on AF vs KL on 747s?

Both seem to be angled lie-flats. If it were 777 or A388, I'd pick AF in a heartbeat. But if it's strictly the 747 should I go KLM?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mnredfox
What is the consensus on UG to J on AF vs KL on 747s?

Both seem to be angled lie-flats. If it were 777 or A388, I'd pick AF in a heartbeat. But if it's strictly the 747 should I go KLM?
AF's 747s don't have PV, so SWU upgrades are not allowed on those aircraft, unless they've changed the T&C yet again.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
If you are booked in Premium Voyageur with a SWU into J, and no O availability is showing through T24, are you added to some sort of list or does your SWU placement just expire?

Is this the same case when using Mileage Upgrades from S,W??

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...erts/index.jsp

Systemwide Upgrade Certificates redemption on Partners

Medallion member must contact Delta to book the upgrade reservation.
Seats are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets.

Waitlist and standby not permitted. Emphasis mine.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE
If you are booked in Premium Voyageur with a SWU into J, and no O availability is showing through T24, are you added to some sort of list or does your SWU placement just expire?

Is this the same case when using Mileage Upgrades from S,W??

Thanks!
No wait list. However, I've had success using miles and SWU (2 different PNRs for Partner and I), processing the upgrades into O on our return flight from CDG within the 24 hr window. I called delta in the US, upgrade was processed, tax collected, tix re-issued w/o any problem.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond x 4 yrs; SPG plat; Amex reserve
Originally Posted by jimgraffam
This thread is aching for a definitive how-to guide that starts with eligibility criteria, how to search for, how to request, and how to ensure the upgrade stuck.

I'd consider doing it myself except my last two trips have had to go through the pains of having my original leg and seat reinstated after the upgrade was either processed incorrectly or not reticketed (despite my asking them multiple times to ensure that it had been).

Anyone out there seasoned enough to do it?
Just want to echo the above request -- if anyone is up for it, I know it would be so greatly appreciated. For example, you can search for a W fare on DL.com, but not an O. I assume the only way to find O is to call DL? Sounds like if one uses EF, you can see inventory yourself as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.