Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
They weren't pre board, there were several of those who boarded fine while this couple waited for business to be called. I could vaguely see their tickets on their phones enough to see it didn't say "prem" anywhere. I boarded directly after them and as I went to scan my pass saw their info still on the little screen stating 30F. I made an offhand comment to the agent 'row 30 counts as business now?' But she ignored me.
Why don't you just ask them to show you their ticket? If it's a reasonable request, they should be happy to satisfy your curiosity.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Why don't you just ask them to show you their ticket? If it's a reasonable request, they should be happy to satisfy your curiosity.
I'd never show a stranger my pass if they asked.....nor would I expect anyone else to?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I'd never show a stranger my pass if they asked.....nor would I expect anyone else to?
^
It should go something like this:
Them: can I see your pass?
Me: do you work for the airline?
Them: no
Me: (back to whatever I was doing, end of discussion)
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
^
It should go something like this:
Them: can I see your pass?
Me: do you work for the airline?
Them: no
Me: (back to whatever I was doing, end of discussion)
You are much more polite than I would be. Unless you work for the airline then my BP is none of your business.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
You are much more polite than I would be. Unless you work for the airline then my BP is none of your business.
That's exactly what I would do - the moment they tell me they don't work for the airline is the moment I would treat them as though they're not there.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's exactly what I would do - the moment they tell me they don't work for the airline is the moment I would treat them as though they're not there.
What if they lie to you and claim to work for the airline?

With no uniform and no airline ID badge, I'd just assume that they do not work for the airline unless I recognize them.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

With no uniform and no airline ID badge, I'd just assume that they do not work for the airline unless I recognize them.
Im more curious why it was even suggested i ask someone to see their pass?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Im more curious why it was even suggested i ask someone to see their pass?
I think it may have been along the lines of, if you really care about finding out whether they're cutting in front of you/boarding inappropriately early.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Allan38103
I think you all are missing the sarcasm here. The key isn't that OP should have asked, the key is that it is NOT a reasonable request, and that the people would not be happy to satisfy curiosity.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I think it may have been along the lines of, if you really care about finding out whether they're cutting in front of you/boarding inappropriately early.
Well, as i said, she was holding her phone up and i could see her ticket, showing they werent in business, so i knew they were cutting. As did the GA who didnt do anything to stop them.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Well, as i said, she was holding her phone up and i could see her ticket, showing they werent in business, so i knew they were cutting. As did the GA who didnt do anything to stop them.
The GA probably didn't see what you saw until after scanning at least one of their boarding passes. At that point the pax is already checked in and it would probably be a huge hassle to uncheck them.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

"What if..."

That exact situation happened to me in a train in Vietnam when someone was trying to poach my seat. The short exchange above (substitute train company for airline) worked effectively. The poacher was put in her place and went off.

If they claimed to work for the airline I would ask for ID, but it's doubtful that it would go any further than the scenario I described.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I think you all are missing the sarcasm here. The key isn't that OP should have asked, the key is that it is NOT a reasonable request, and that the people would not be happy to satisfy curiosity.
^
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:21 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
"What if..."

If they claimed to work for the airline I would ask for ID, but it's doubtful that it would go any further than the scenario I described.

^
If they work for an airline and they were airside their ID should be visibly displayed.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste
The GA probably didn't see what you saw until after scanning at least one of their boarding passes. At that point the pax is already checked in and it would probably be a huge hassle to uncheck them.
I've actually thought about this while watching the boarding process. If a passenger presents a paper BP, the GA generally takes the BP and looks at it before scanning it and may or may not enforce the boarding zone at that time. If the passenger is using a mobile BP, the passenger generally places it on the scanner him/herself, so the GA doesn't look at it and only sees what pops up on the screen. As Howste pointed out, at that point it's probably more of a hassle to send the pax back. So, if you want to cut the line, use the BP on your phone and don't let anyone see your screen.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I've actually thought about this while watching the boarding process. If a passenger presents a paper BP, the GA generally takes the BP and looks at it before scanning it and may or may not enforce the boarding zone at that time. If the passenger is using a mobile BP, the passenger generally places it on the scanner him/herself, so the GA doesn't look at it and only sees what pops up on the screen. As Howste pointed out, at that point it's probably more of a hassle to send the pax back. So, if you want to cut the line, use the BP on your phone and don't let anyone see your screen.
I've thought this often while waiting to board - passengers place their phone on the scanner and the agent never looks at it. If they are indeed in a different zone I'm sure it would be a pain to offload them...though what they could do is simply say "oh I'm sorry, you are in XX zone. Please stand aside and wait until the end of the boarding process and I will board you then"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.