Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New "Sky Priority" Benefits for High-Revenue Elites to be Announced Spring 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Sky Priority" Benefits for High-Revenue Elites to be Announced Spring 2010

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
I got the e-mail today, and I have to say, worst idea ever!! I feel sorry for the silvers.

Delta had better come up with a separate pre-board process for DM's

Last edited by mcmitchell; Apr 13, 2010 at 7:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mcmitchell
...Delta had better come up with a separate pre-board process for DM's
I do not k now what they were thinking when they set it up for, on some flights, almost the entire airplane to board in zone 1.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by monitor
I do not k now what they were thinking when they set it up for, on some flights, almost the entire airplane to board in zone 1.
It's almost like the people who are creating these "improvements" have never been in a hub or heavy elite airport and witnessed what happens when they call Zone 2 (insert stampede sound effects here).

To SkyMilesInsider: Please, I emplore you to re-evaluate this new boarding process for Zone 1!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Thumbs up

We hope you're enjoying all the benefits of your 2010 Silver Medallion® status. As you continue to take advantage of these benefits—including priority check-in and boarding, preferred seats, complimentary upgrades, mileage bonuses, and Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs)—we'd like to offer you an additional opportunity to enjoy a higher level of travel experience with Delta Sky Priority™, beginning April 15, 2010.

Sky Priority is a suite of improved services you could enjoy at key moments during your travel. While your current Silver Medallion benefits do not provide you with automatic access to the expanded services of Sky Priority, these services are available should you upgrade to or purchase a BusinessElite®, First or Business Class ticket.

Sky Priority services were created to reinforce Delta's commitment to our highest valued customers. Here's how Sky Priority could give you more:

Faster Check-In: Access dedicated check-in areas at the airport to help you move through the process faster.

Accelerated Security Clearance: Walk through expedited security lines at select airports so you can get on your way as soon as possible.

Highest Boarding Priority: Board in Zone 1, so you can enter first to secure the best overhead bin space, or take your seat at your leisure—the choice is yours.
Expedited Baggage Service: Have your bags delivered first to the carousel so you can head home or to your next meeting with no delay.

When you reach Gold Medallion status, you can enjoy Sky Priority services no matter what class you fly. You can get closer to Gold Medallion status by earning MQMs or Medallion Qualification Segments when you fly with Delta, take advantage of SkyMiles® partner opportunities or acquire the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card or the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express.

Discover the Sky Priority experience at delta.com/skypriority. We think you'll like the difference

So....says we still have priority check-in and preferred seats.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Sky Miles Insider, I hope you are paying attention here, because for all the build up to Sky Priority, you delivered one giant bag of HOT AIR here! I was a defender during the wait, but now, I am a HUGE CRITIC! I think that Sky Priority is a PUBLIC RELATIONS, FUNCTIONAL, AND OPERATIONAL DISASTER!

The goal is always to UNDER PROMISE, OVER DELIVER, but what Delta did here was OVER PROMISE, UNDER DELIVER. I, for one, was seriously looking forward to the complimentary Internet, but where is it?

You guys MAJORLY screwed up here! If you do not fix it, and FAST, you will be losing a lot of your very best customers, and you will be amazed at how fast that will happen!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by USirritated
Sky Miles Insider, I hope you are paying attention here,...
Never expect USirritated to understate his opinions.

But here, I will need to admit that he is mostly correct.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Sky Priority was supposed to be a big enhancer, on multiple issues, correct?

* I have been getting the YELLOW PRIORITY LUGGAGE TAG for several months now, and I can't say that it works most of the time. Sure, once in a while, my luggage comes out near the beginning of the luggage on the carousel, but most of the time, especially in my home airport, Fort Lauderdale, my luggage comes out in the middle or the end of the luggage on the carousel, so what is the point?

* We were told that free Internet was supposed to be part of Sky Priority, but where is it?

* GM, PM, DM, and FC passengers already had priority check in lines, and priority security lines, so just changing the names and signage on those lines is not an enhancement, it is WORTHLESS WINDOW DRESSING, plus it is a slap in the face to FO members, isn't it?

* An exclusive reservation line with a number on the back of our Medallion credential card? Excuse me, but we have had this benefit for a LONG TIME, did you take it away from us yesterday and give it back to us today just so you can tell us that it is a new benefit or something equally silly?

* Highest boarding priority? You mean reordering the priority that everyone was already happy with? You mean boarding all DM, PM, and GM with the FC passengers in zone 1, even if more than half the plane is made up of DM, PM, GM and paid FC? That will make it so bad for people running to make a late connection, and who has a first class seat, just about guaranteeing that the first class bins will be full because someone from the rear of the plane thinks that it is okay to put their luggage in the first class bins as they pass by, necessitating a person with a first class seat having to put their carry on bag in a bin over seat 31 D!

* The only possible enhancement is the free drink or free snack coupon we will be getting if we do not get our upgrade, and for those of us who do not drink or do not like the snack offerings, we actually get NOTHING! Hoo Rah!

Did I leave any of the good or bad "enhancements out here?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
The goal is always to UNDER PROMISE, OVER DELIVER, but what Delta did here was OVER PROMISE, UNDER DELIVER. I, for one, was seriously looking forward to the complimentary Internet, but where is it?
Here was an answer provided in the stickey.

Originally Posted by humanoid94
The only other thing I would have liked to have seen from Sky Priority would have been some free internet access.
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
We are still working on that part...no timelines to report.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Here was an answer provided in the stickey.
I read those too, but I find those excuses painfully insufficient. The whole thing seems very reminicient of the B.S. that was going on at US in the last few years before I left to come to DL.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I read those too, but I find those excuses painfully insufficient. The whole thing seems very reminicient of the B.S. that was going on at US in the last few years before I left to come to DL.
I don't know if anything can be compared to US. This little cockroach ran away and never looked back. US even didn't even try to appear as they cared.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
* I have been getting the YELLOW PRIORITY LUGGAGE TAG for several months now, and I can't say that it works most of the time. Sure, once in a while, my luggage comes out near the beginning of the luggage on the carousel, but most of the time, especially in my home airport, Fort Lauderdale, my luggage comes out in the middle or the end of the luggage on the carousel, so what is the point?

* We were told that free Internet was supposed to be part of Sky Priority, but where is it?

* The only possible enhancement is the free drink or free snack coupon we will be getting if we do not get our upgrade, and for those of us who do not drink or do not like the snack offerings, we actually get NOTHING! Hoo Rah!

Did I leave any of the good or bad "enhancements out here?
Keep in mind that anything on this thread was speculation - nowhere was there any sort of official confirmation that wi-fi was guaranteed to be part of this. Given that there was a 3 month gap between this being first posted on FT and it's formal launch, stuff can/will/did change. It sounds like they are planning on doing something with wi-fi still. It might just not have been able to get done in time.

Would I like free wi-fi coupons? Of course. Truth of the matter is:

- free wi-fi was never officially announced to the public. Basically everything on this thread before hand was assumed to be the case, and the assumptions don't always happen for whatever reason. I'm guessing here, it was some issues with negotiations with GoGo/AirCell.

- SMI posted this information to us on Friday evening. 99.999% of SP customers first heard about it today. FlyerTalk was the first public place anyone could get official confirmation of the benefits. The website went live about 6 hours after SMI's post. Even there, the only place that knew of the link was FT (and from there, it got spread around to various travel blogs, etc.). Basically, FT got a 4 day head start on the official details of Sky Priority - a fact that seems to get lost in the shuffle rather easily (and the same old accusations of Delta doesn't communicate still get thrown around )

- Priority baggage is still an issue at some airports. It can use some improvement. That's where stuff like doing the surveys for Sky Priority will most likely come in very handy. If there are a lot of people complaining about station XYZ, then it's more data points for them to fix the situation.

- Complaining about free food/drinks is rather to me. What else (besides free wi-fi) can Delta give SP customers besides snacks/drinks? Just because some customers might get nothing out of it because they don't drink, no EATS, etc. doesn't mean it's not a great net-positive. Not all customers would use wi-fi on the plane...they might want a drink over free wi-fi. For right now though, my guess is (again), Delta is still negotiating with GoGo IRT wi-fi and that's why it's not here right now.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
From January 23:

Originally Posted by vasantn
Frankly, you sound very negative on DL in general, so why stay loyal to them, care to try another carrier? I mean if you don't like DL, and you don't think that Sky Priority will offer any real enhancements of value to you, then why stick around?
Here we go again ...
Originally Posted by vasantn
However, some of us, me included, are looking forward to Sky Priority.
Report back in a couple of months, willya? In the immortal words of Gertrude Stein, there is no there there.
I figured you'd see the light eventually!

Sky Miles Insider, I hope you are paying attention here, because for all the build up to Sky Priority, you delivered one giant bag of HOT AIR here! I was a defender during the wait, but now, I am a HUGE CRITIC! I think that Sky Priority is a PUBLIC RELATIONS, FUNCTIONAL, AND OPERATIONAL DISASTER!

You guys MAJORLY screwed up here! If you do not fix it, and FAST, you will be losing a lot of your very best customers, and you will be amazed at how fast that will happen!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
We hope you're enjoying all the benefits of your 2010 Silver Medallion® status. As you continue to take advantage of these benefits—including priority check-in and boarding, preferred seats, complimentary upgrades, mileage bonuses, and Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs)—we'd like to offer you an additional opportunity to enjoy a higher level of travel experience with Delta Sky Priority™, beginning April 15, 2010.

Sky Priority is a suite of improved services you could enjoy at key moments during your travel. While your current Silver Medallion benefits do not provide you with automatic access to the expanded services of Sky Priority, these services are available should you upgrade to or purchase a BusinessElite®, First or Business Class ticket.

Sky Priority services were created to reinforce Delta's commitment to our highest valued customers. Here's how Sky Priority could give you more:

Faster Check-In: Access dedicated check-in areas at the airport to help you move through the process faster.

Accelerated Security Clearance: Walk through expedited security lines at select airports so you can get on your way as soon as possible.

Highest Boarding Priority: Board in Zone 1, so you can enter first to secure the best overhead bin space, or take your seat at your leisure—the choice is yours.
Expedited Baggage Service: Have your bags delivered first to the carousel so you can head home or to your next meeting with no delay.

When you reach Gold Medallion status, you can enjoy Sky Priority services no matter what class you fly. You can get closer to Gold Medallion status by earning MQMs or Medallion Qualification Segments when you fly with Delta, take advantage of SkyMiles® partner opportunities or acquire the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card or the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express.

Discover the Sky Priority experience at delta.com/skypriority. We think you'll like the difference

So....says we still have priority check-in and preferred seats.
ah, I see.

So SkyPriority makes a big, flashy announcement in which:

-all elites except silver get to KEEP ESSENTIALLY THE BENEFITS THEY ALREADY HAVE;

while

-silvers LOSE the following benefits which they've previously enjoyed: priority luggage tags, elite security lines (some airports), and most importantly, Elite check in (regardless of what they say above, Sky Priority has "faster check in... dedicated check in areas" which Silvers do not get to enjoy).

What is the difference between "priority check in" and "faster check in... dedicated check in areas"?

Did Delta even vet this with their PR people? Did they take marketing 101? Did their MBAs go to accredited graduate schools?

I am positively perplexed. I don't understand them at all. Do they really think their customers are this stupid? What are they possibly thinking? And what are any of us still doing flying them? Are they intentionally trying to drive away all their elites? First their plats, then their silvers... who's next?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by psychtobe
-silvers LOSE the following benefits which they've previously enjoyed: priority luggage tags, elite security lines (some airports), and most importantly, Elite check in.

Did Delta even vet this with their PR people? Are they really this imbecilic? Did they take marketing 101? Did their MBAs go to accredited graduate schools?

I am positively perplexed. I don't understand them at all. What are they possibly thinking? And what are any of us still doing flying them? Are they intentionally trying to drive away all their elites? First their plats, then their silvers... who's next?
Looking at nwa.com from March 2007 and January 2008 (http://web.archive.org/web/200703290...benefits.shtml), it does not look like Silvers got priority luggage or elite security as published benefits - one off airports/agents might have done it, but it was never officially there.

We also have not gotten any confirmation or straight denial that Silvers will not be able to use elite check-in lines going forward. Until we see it in practice and get official confirmation, I'll continue to trust SMI when he says that no current Silver benefits will be going away.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by mersk862
Looking at nwa.com from March 2007 and January 2008 (http://web.archive.org/web/200703290...benefits.shtml), it does not look like Silvers got priority luggage or elite security as published benefits - one off airports/agents might have done it, but it was never officially there.
Being a NWA elite for years, what you are saying is true. Silver Elites did not have priority check-in, but the thing is that current Silver Medallions DO have this benefit in 2010. But that will likely go away later April 15, which is a downgrade. I agree with you, let us wait and see, maybe there really will be 3 check-in sections at the airport (SkyPriority Check-In for FC and golds and up, Priority Check-In for Silvers only, and regular check-in).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.