Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New "Sky Priority" Benefits for High-Revenue Elites to be Announced Spring 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Sky Priority" Benefits for High-Revenue Elites to be Announced Spring 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by monitor
Why is it that even many DMs do not expect this program to amount to very much?
From the initial info about SkyPriority, DMs saw that they are already getting most of these benefits. IOW, "What have you done for me lately?!" Many saw the DM benefit of free SC access as worthless because they already had a membership or hold an Amex card that gives them SC access prior to DM being rolled out.

Those benefits are now (possibly) open to non-medallions*. I've been PM/DM for many years. I can't remember the last time I bought a coach Y fare on any airline so *correct me if I am wrong in the scenario below or add to it if I forgot something.

Jane Doe has NO MEDALLION STATUS AT ALL with Delta. Jane buys a pricey coach Y fare ticket. Her boarding pass has a middle-seat coach seat assignment somewhere around where zone 3 boards.

Before SkyPriority
- Does Jane get to select an exit row or other "choice" seat in advance? No
- Does Jane get to use the elite line at the counter for check-in? No
- Does Jane get to check a bag for free? No
- Does Jane get a priority tag on her bag? No
- Does Jane get to use the elite security line? No
- Does Jane get to visit the SkyClub for free? No
- Does Jane get a shot at a domestic FC upgrade at the gate? No
- Does Jane get to board with zone 1 or 2? No
- Does Jane get to use Breezeway if her zone has already been called? No
- Does Jane get "concierge" service from Delta? No

(*perhaps) After SkyPriority
- yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

DMs get all of the stuff Jane does not get even when buying a T fare. Personally I think it's great that high revenue, coach customers are going to be treated with "priority" service even if it is their first time ever flying Delta.

Originally Posted by jeff30189
DM delivers an extra 25% mileage bonus, free SC access, first shot at upgrades and probably a few other perks I cant think of that a PM does not have. Pretty much what was disclosed.
I get your point but let's not overstate the perks. DMs do not get FIRST shot at upgrades. A Silver Medallion on a Y fare will trump a Diamond on a M fare for that last seat in FC at the gate. Not complaining just clarifying.

Last edited by Evan!; Mar 27, 2010 at 9:21 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Evan!
Before SkyPriority

Evan! I believe you are jumping the gun on this one.

I get your point but let's not overstate the perks. DMs do not get FIRST shot at upgrades. A Silver Medallion on a Y fare will trump a Diamond on a M fare for that last seat in FC at the gate. Not complaining just clarifying.
To say that DMs do not get first shot at upgrades is not true.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Sounds like DL is copying UA. Only Premier Exec and UGS members have access to the "red carpet". Problem is how it will appear to your SM members when they can no longer access...but then DL doesn't value it's PM members either.
Wrong. Only First Class, Business Class, UGS, and 1Ks have access to the Red Carpet lane on UA flights. Premier Executives board from the regular economy lane but prior to Premier, Premier Associate, and General Members. That sounds similar to what will be happening to SM members in the near future.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
What will happen to passengers who have bulkhead seats right behind first class? Currently, they board with first class passengers and are in Zone 1, ahead of all other elites. That's why I always pick a bulkhead seat.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
What will happen to passengers who have bulkhead seats right behind first class?
Zone 2
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:40 am
KLC
In Memoriam

... Only First Class, Business Class, UGS, and 1Ks have access to the Red Carpet lane on UA flights. Premier Executives board from the regular economy lane but prior to Premier, Premier Associate, and General Members. That sounds similar to what will be happening to SM members in the near future.
You may have missed SMI's response to the question about Silver Medallion access to the Breezeway lane (post #349):

Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
.... I never mentioned anything about the actual boarding lane in my reply to you, but to address that specifically - YES, you will continue to get access to the priority boarding LANE. No benefits are being lost - in any manner. Period.

SkyMilesInsider
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by KLC
You may have missed SMI's response to the question about Silver Medallion access to the Breezeway lane (post #349):
Thanks. Does that mean SMs will continue to be assigned to Zone 2 as well?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:51 am

Thanks. Does that mean SMs will continue to be assigned to Zone 2 as well?
I would say thats a good educated guess.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:59 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by SeaBridge
If I were SkyMilesInsider, snarks like this would cause me to throw up my hands and say "why bother." SMI has two choices:

1. SMI continues to post on this forum.
2. SMI stops posting on this forum.

Only SMI decides, but my guess the general tone of the reactions to his posts will be a factor.
Well, I agree that there have been some very sharp tones in the responses, which would make me not want to post info to people, but remember that the tones are largely due to many people being promised certain benefits that did not show up...10 SWU's come to mind.

I wasn't here for the PM/DM issues, though, so I'm happy to see how everything shakes out and go from there. I can always go back to *A, they'll match anybody these days, and if my travel rate stays where it is now (likely), PM even isn't too far fetched this year.

The reason I made my move to DL after the merger was, however, largely because I felt that FO's were treated fairly well and could get upgrades if they played their cards right. That's very hard to do on CO out of Houston, from what I've seen.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Please elaborate. How is this not true? Has something recently changed? AFAIK a Silver, Gold, or Platinum on a Y fare will have rank above a DM on any other coach fare for gate upgrades. That means that DMs do not have first shot at upgrades.

Come on z, were the rolling eyes really necessary? I used the words "perhaps" and "possibly" in my obviously speculative scenario.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:07 am

Please elaborate. How is this not true? Has something recently changed? AFAIK a Silver, Gold, or Platinum on a Y fare will have rank above a DM on any other coach fare for gate upgrades. That means that DMs do not have first shot at upgrades.

Come on z, were the rolling eyes really necessary? I used the words "perhaps" and "possibly" in my obviously speculative scenario.
Maybe you forgot that DMs get first shot at upgrades 5+ days out?
Yes speculation is exactly what this board needs.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:25 am

Maybe you forgot that DMs get first shot at upgrades 5+ days out?
Yes speculation is exactly what this board needs.
You are correct. At 5 days out DMs do get first shot. I stand corrected. You could have corrected me in your reply instead of just "not true".

My original comment about this concerned gate upgrades. With the exception of the first item on the Jane scenario list and concierge service, everything I speculated about with regard to SkyPriority concerned the airport experience.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, BONVoY LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by USirritated
That is not exactly true! Yes, when you stay at a Courtyard, you get one night's room credit, just as you do when you stay at a JW Marriott. However, you also get points credit for how much money was spent on the room, which means there is more recognition for the higher price paid for the room at the JW Marriott. There are also additional factors too.
Yep, agreed - but I would rather have more nights to go towards next years status.

Originally Posted by brosnan6
It would be nice to have a combination program for air like Marriott does for their points -- i.e. you get stay credit (segment credit) for each stay (segment) and the points (miles) you earn are a function of your nightly rate (ticket price/fare basis).
HOO-RAH!

And if you do not fly at all, what is the purpose of attaining Medallion status?
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
To make Million Miler status
Originally Posted by cfw
Which will net you lifetime silver status, and now we're right back to where we started
Priority boarding would be enough for me... that is a huge perk.

From the initial info about SkyPriority, DMs saw that they are already getting most of these benefits. IOW, "What have you done for me lately?!" Many saw the DM benefit of free SC access as worthless because they already had a membership or hold an Amex card that gives them SC access prior to DM being rolled out.

Those benefits are now (possibly) open to non-medallions*. I've been PM/DM for many years. I can't remember the last time I bought a coach Y fare on any airline so *correct me if I am wrong in the scenario below or add to it if I forgot something.

Jane Doe has NO MEDALLION STATUS AT ALL with Delta. Jane buys a pricey coach Y fare ticket. Her boarding pass has a middle-seat coach seat assignment somewhere around where zone 3 boards.

Before SkyPriority

DMs get all of the stuff Jane does not get even when buying a T fare. Personally I think it's great that high revenue, coach customers are going to be treated with "priority" service even if it is their first time ever flying Delta.

Evan! I believe you are jumping the gun on this one.

Correct. BTW, the Jane thread was a strong post. Classic - good work.

Last edited by thezipper; Mar 29, 2010 at 10:53 am Reason: multiple posts by OP
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:21 am
mdb

And if you do not fly at all, what is the purpose of attaining Medallion status?
Remember - this is flyerTalk - flying is secondary to status and upgrades!!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Yes. That'
s an excellent point. Take a example of BE vesrus international coach on a 747. With a pitch of 60cm in business versus 30 in coach and 7 breast versus 10 abreast on 747 or 6 breast versus 8 abreast on a 332, a business class customer is taking up 2.7 to 2,9 times the floor space of an economy class passenger. If you include the cost of providing business class service to this, such as more crew per person, better food, COS bonus, free access to lounge, it's not difficult to see that a larger spend does not necessarily mean proportionately larger profit.
Sure it does. One more J fare adds nearly 3x the profit as one more Y fare. (Well, not an ACTUAL Y fare, which is often 2x to 3x a discount J fare...)

Have to remember that any additional seat sold goes pretty much straight to the bottom line as the marginal cost of selling one more seat is very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.